Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Willing your body to medical research....

Search this Thread

Old 05 December 2006, 02:52 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Angry Willing your body to medical research....

Well, to say "I'm disgusted" is an understatement

About twenty years ago, both parents decided to do the above. My mother died in 1999, and the research people declined her body as unsuitable. She HAD been ill for a long time, so fair enough, although dad was devastated

In the early hours of monday morning, dad died too. Now the research people have declined his body as well. "Doesn't fit the parameters of research being done at the moment", is their reason.

Now, whilst I can see that they have to decline SOME remains, no mention was made of any parameters when the will was made, and none since.

Because it seems to be a rarity, at least in Onehorseville where we live, I went through the bars of Hell yesterday trying to sort out funeral home to remove his body, death certificate etc etc, and for what? For the b@stards to decline him as well.

They don't deserve decent people to donate their bodies. If anyone on here is thinking of doing this, I URGE you to think again. It puts the family through Hell if it's declined, which we NOW find, many are

Alcazar

BTW: Please don't all post condolences for my dad's death. I don't want to read them, and my dad was ready to go. Thanks.
Old 05 December 2006, 03:00 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand you'll want their wishes to be met after their death and it's a stressful time. If the facility cannot use the bodies, it is better for them to tell you straight. I don't know a lot about it, and it is sad their wishes aren't being met, but I'm sure the facility haven't refused them for anything but good reasons.

It would have been better for all if the facility had provided you and your parents with guidelines for what will be accepted and what won't, although a little morbid, or at least told you there was a chance of being refused, rather than just surprising you at the time.
Old 05 December 2006, 03:07 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ridiculous. They want organ donors and bodies for research, goodness knows how many people actually state in their will about it (not something I have thought about) but you would thing they could at least respect your parent's wishes. They were lucky to have two people good enough to want to let them have their bodies, turning them down is just another slap in the face, which you and the rest of the family won't need right now.

As said above, it could have been stated that there's a possibility that some get declined, depending on what they accept and what they dont, and not put you through all that.