42" Panasonic Plasma

Search this Thread

Old 04 December 2006, 12:07 PM
MOK79
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 42" Panasonic Plasma

Hey Guys

Just got the above and plugged into NTL and the pic is pretty poor. Very pixelated and fuzzy. Shop said its down to NTL ( what a load of Bo!!ox)
Anyone had this ? anyone know how I can resolve it ? The pic in the shop was perfect.

Help !!!!!!
Old 04 December 2006, 12:10 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

The pic in the shop was probably High-def and now you have standard-def to look at. First of all you need to get good quality cables and preferably HDMI or good component cables. Next you have to fanny around with the settings on your plasma or have it calibrated but you shouldn't do any of that until you've run the screen in. It all requires a fair bit of tweeking and setting up to get the best picture - plasma and lcd TVs are not plug n' play like CRT's were/are. Fire over to AV forums and read up about it all
Old 04 December 2006, 12:13 PM
MOK79
Scooby Regular

cheers Saxo
I mentioned about getting better quality cables as I am using bog standard scarts at the moment. And the guy said it wouldn't make any difference.
Old 04 December 2006, 01:00 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Then the guys is talking b0ll0x

It amazes me the amount of people who buy a thousand pound tv and use a £2 scart lead.

Get yourself a decent high quality scart, or even better try to use s-video if you can and, as Saxo says, go over to AVForums, do a search on your tv and look for the optimum settings.

What's the model of your tv? If its the 42PX60B then I'll note down my settings when I get home, I have this tv and the picture quality is excellent.

Old 04 December 2006, 01:27 PM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

Some of it may be down to NTL - depends which channel you are looking at.

The main ones, like Sky One, Sky sports etc, look quite good on my plasma, but some of the smaller channels look dodgy - less bandwidth I believe.

Also depends on how close you are to the screen, as poor signal quality will obviously show up more on a 42 inch screen if you sit close to it.

As an aside, my wife's parents recently got a 37 inch plasma, and the picture quality through that on Sky channels p1sses all over my NTL signal
Old 04 December 2006, 01:59 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Often hear the 10% rule when buying TV's like this - ie you should spend at least 10% of the cost of the telly on the right quality cables.

R.
Old 04 December 2006, 02:23 PM
MOK79
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RoShamBo
Often hear the 10% rule when buying TV's like this - ie you should spend at least 10% of the cost of the telly on the right quality cables.

R.
Yeah someone said that to me. To expect to spend £100 - £150 quid on cables.

Trending Topics

Old 04 December 2006, 03:08 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Or, go trade your plasma/lcd in for a quality crt tv, and plug and play
Old 04 December 2006, 03:10 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cables

The same rip-off as all the other **** bollox!!

Now, I am NOT saying use a scart lead from the £ shop - BUT, you do NOT need to spend loads on expensive cables, just be sensible and get good quality (IGNORE all cables that claim that they do this and that, or are called MONSTER or other such cons!!!)

Buy recognised names and pay a sensible price.
Old 04 December 2006, 03:12 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cw42
Or, go trade your plasma/lcd in for a quality crt tv, and plug and play
That is actually top advice!!

These BIG Screen Plasmas and LCDs are utter, utter, utter crap at displaying a Standard Def picture at anything better than CRTs were 30 years ago!!

Except you pay £1000's for it
Old 04 December 2006, 04:04 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MOK79
Yeah someone said that to me. To expect to spend £100 - £150 quid on cables.
Expect to be ripped off if your going to do that. Cables have rediculous mark up for shops, hence the branding and pushing of them. There have been many tests done on actual signal and inexpensive cables do just as well as £100+ cables for audio and video (the only tests that ever show the £100 cable coming out on top are the ones where so called 'audiophiles' are paid by the cable companies to do so). The only thing you have to worry about is interference from each channel within the cable, a 50p scart may suffer from this but a £5 scart certainly should not. I buy all of my cables from a chap on ebay in germany, great quality and way cheaper than your branded rip off merchants.

DVI computer cables are a good reference here, they cost about £3 and have flawless quality.
Old 04 December 2006, 05:02 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

These BIG Screen Plasmas and LCDs are utter, utter, utter crap at displaying a Standard Def picture at anything better than CRTs were 30 years ago!!
Pete as I suspected in your first thread on this matter your problem was lack of committment to setting up a plasma/lcd display. I have subsequently proven this fact to myself when I bought a £400 32" LCD and was dissapointed with the picture quality. Having spent some time ensuring that the source and cables are as good as possible and having fiddled around with the settings I now have an excellent picture in standard definition and outstanding in high-def. When channel 4 was showing the lord of the rings films I honestly couldn't tell the difference between that broadcast and a DVD. I now have a 42" plasma on order for the livingroom and don't doubt it'll be a hassle but eventually I'll get outstanding picture quality.

You poopoo'd two technologies based on the fact you are too old or too lazy to read about them and spent time calibrating your TV.
Old 04 December 2006, 05:12 PM
dtriggs
Scooby Regular

My 42'' Panny Plasma gives a better SD picture than my previous 36'' CRT from Philips, and HD is fantastic. I use Sky for the feed - and as said by others, the picture through HDMI is far superior than through a very good scart lead.

Anyway ignore the trolls on SN and go look at AVForums for sensible help.