Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Following on from my Dog thread

Search this Thread

Old 04 December 2006, 12:01 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Following on from my Dog thread

Any ideas how I can stop them trying to Elton John and George Michael each other ?

Castration isnt an option, as it may only be for a few days, till we can try and establish the owner (if indeed there is one worthy of having him back)

My own dog seems to be getting a bit tired of being invaded, and the Staffy is very strong considering his weakness, I have had a bit of a struggle to keep him off my own dog

He does try and growl and snarl at him to try and stop him, and then jumps up on his table so he cant be got at, at which point Staffy then starts to whine a little bit, and then tail back between his legs, and jumps up and tries to lick Scooby's face

To be fair Scooby does try and give a bit back, but I think he is fighting a lost cause

They do seem to be getting on with each other, but they also seem to be getting it on with each other as well

I could try seperating them, but then the pair of them whine or bark at each other tails wagging like mad, until they are back together

Not really sure on the best way of stopping them from doing to each other what they should really be doing to bitches

Steve
Old 04 December 2006, 12:10 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may be the reason he was out cruising the streets ...... looking for some *** no doubt
Old 04 December 2006, 12:11 PM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
This may be the reason he was out cruising the streets ...... looking for some *** no doubt
, sorry Sonic
Old 04 December 2006, 12:54 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My grandads dog used to have the run of Wythenshawe back in the 1970's, he was considered to be gay by the family and we were cool with it, he used to trot round on the pull round near the Forum and shopping giant.
Old 04 December 2006, 12:57 PM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

The only things is lock them away from eachother and making a point of telling one off....it does work....I do it to the missus all the time.....I know let he sleep in the bedroom....
Old 04 December 2006, 12:58 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

Ductape over scooby's pencil sharpener
Old 04 December 2006, 12:59 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tripple'O G
The only things is lock them away from eachother and making a point of telling one off....it does work....I do it to the missus all the time.....I know let he sleep in the bedroom....
I'm not having a dog in the bedroom!!

Already have a snake in there!

Trending Topics

Old 04 December 2006, 01:02 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by D.K.1
Already have a snake in there!
A trouser one or a real one
Old 04 December 2006, 01:02 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

Both
Old 04 December 2006, 01:09 PM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

ooooooooooooooooooooooo

I wasn't calling my girl a dog......I just said I lock her out when she gets a bit too excited....
Old 04 December 2006, 01:11 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

ah, sorry, mis-interpreted, I thought you were suggesting we have one of the dogs in the bedroom.

I blame the blonde

I still think the ductape is a good idea
Old 04 December 2006, 01:26 PM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

No worries.....

The "time out" thing does really work though....
Old 04 December 2006, 01:28 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

I think Scooby gives him what for when he tries to stick one in him anyway
Old 04 December 2006, 01:29 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

dont really want to start shouting at the 'staffy' he shakes enough as it is, without instilling any more fear into him

seperating them is difficult, due to the design of the house/garden/ conservatory etc, and the last thing I want is my neighbours screaming at me for the dogs barking and whining like mad none stop
Old 04 December 2006, 01:35 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

You can be firm with the staffie, you can shout, or ideally GROWL at it and use your body language to show you are dominant. The shaking is coming from fear, but it's also a way for the staffie to defuse you from getting angry, so don't allow him to control you like that, it has to be disciplined whether it's shaking or not, be rewarded warmly too!

The best thing to do is GROWL at the staffie and tell him to get off, (ahem) and if he doesn't, move him, don't hit him, don't take him away, just pull him off (ahem) or push him down. Then stand over him dominantly (ahem) for a few seconds, as soon as he relaxes or becomes submissive, praise him greatly but briefly.

The humping is him just trying to dominate your lab. Your lab will get sick of it soon enough, but it's best to not let the staff dominate the lab. As it's not a sexual thing, castration will make no difference.
Old 04 December 2006, 01:40 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

We haven't shouted at the staffie, he shakes all the time, less when we're with him, looks really sorry for himself

I never thought of growling at a dog, plus with not knowing him too well, we don't know what might make him turn, if he will or not we cannot tell.

Lab is sick of it already....
Old 04 December 2006, 02:10 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

ah, sorry, mis-interpreted, I thought you were suggesting we have one of the dogs in the bedroom.

I blame the blonde

I still think the ductape is a good idea
I would suggest you stand in another room and use a really long impliment to remove the duct tape
Old 04 December 2006, 02:12 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

We haven't shouted at the staffie, he shakes all the time, less when we're with him, looks really sorry for himself

I never thought of growling at a dog, plus with not knowing him too well, we don't know what might make him turn, if he will or not we cannot tell.

Lab is sick of it already....
By giving him strict boundaries, you'll help his confidence, and what will make him "turn" is irrelevant because for him to be in your own he has to be submissive to you, so if he dreams of going for you, I assume you can handle it as you have let him into your house?

I have two 115lbs Rottweilers that are a year old. One is very obidient, the other is very CLEVER, and does just enough to not get into too much trouble. The growling technique really works, loud and deep!

It is important though to give the dog lots of physical and verbal reward after you have corrected him though. So if he's humping, growl at him and tell him NO! Loud, deep and firm! If he ignores you, push him away from your other dog, make him sit, make sure his ears are back and his mouth is open so he is relaxed, let him break eye contact with you first, then praise him really heavily for about ten seconds. He will learn that he isn't going to get a whallop, which will build his confidence. Shaking doesn't always come from fear, it can be a bi-product of him thinking too much, being unsure, struggling to control his instincts, it doesn't mean he is terrified, although it looks that way. Dogs use body language much more than us, so he may have learnt that to shake will stop him getting such a hard beating from the people who used to own him (potentially) but by you allowing him to get away with things cause he is "scared", is just letting him control you with his body language, which will lead to dominance issues, and he has outsmarted you and already won the first battle! He'll soon be sitting on your sofa with the remote in his mouth!
Old 04 December 2006, 02:16 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

No chance, dogs not allowed on the sofa

I could handle him - yes He's not a problem, I didn't think that the shaking could be anything but fear, but it's worth trying what you have suggested THere's no way he's going to dominate us, or our other dog, that just isn't on and he should be thankful he's safe and warm rather than left out to rot like he has been for goodness knows how long already!
Old 04 December 2006, 02:21 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

No chance, dogs not allowed on the sofa

I could handle him - yes He's not a problem, I didn't think that the shaking could be anything but fear, but it's worth trying what you have suggested THere's no way he's going to dominate us, or our other dog, that just isn't on and he should be thankful he's safe and warm rather than left out to rot like he has been for goodness knows how long already!
Right, good stuff! The humping is purely about dominance........ Got to be "firm" to be fair and all that! Good luck! PM me if you have any other issues with him, I watch a lot of TV
Old 04 December 2006, 02:29 PM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

2000TLondon....Methinks you've watched Lethal Weapon 3 a little too much....
Old 04 December 2006, 02:35 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tripple'O G
2000TLondon....Methinks you've watched Lethal Weapon 3 a little too much....
Can't remember what happens in 3...... I was thinking I haven't seen Turner and Hooch for a while!
Old 04 December 2006, 02:36 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 2000TLondon
Right, good stuff! The humping is purely about dominance........ Got to be "firm" to be fair and all that! Good luck! PM me if you have any other issues with him, I watch a lot of TV
LOL I know how to be firm and dominant.....

I have just been with them, let him in for a few mins, he sniffed at my daughter and ran round sniffing LOL, bounded over wagging his tail, had him sitting etc, let him back out with Lab, started to hump him, so I got their bowles which are metal and banged them together every time he went to hump him, it's a loud noise and startles them bot, bit unfair on the lab, but it gets him down for now Just on my way out of the door and he was poking the lab's ear
Old 04 December 2006, 02:39 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

LOL I know how to be firm and dominant.....

I have just been with them, let him in for a few mins, he sniffed at my daughter and ran round sniffing LOL, bounded over wagging his tail, had him sitting etc, let him back out with Lab, started to hump him, so I got their bowles which are metal and banged them together every time he went to hump him, it's a loud noise and startles them bot, bit unfair on the lab, but it gets him down for now Just on my way out of the door and he was poking the lab's ear
Superb, forgot to say though IGNORING the dog is the highest form of dominance. If you think about a litter of puppies always pawing at the mother, the mother generally ignores them after they have fed and been cleaned so she can rest, the dog will respect you more if you ignore it occaisonally and don't give in when it's trying to get attention. Also, just my opinion, but the bowl thing is a little unfair on the lab, as they're both getting the punishment of loud, startling noise.....
Old 04 December 2006, 02:40 PM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

It is a domiance thing....happened when I got my second dog along with the b1tch i've already got...(not talking about the G/F now)
He's always trying to hump her and she just sits on it, turns round and bares her teeth, and then they scrap....

When he tries to mount the lab, get the lab to sit.....just another little suggestion....
If he's sitting on it, there no-where for it to go!!
Old 04 December 2006, 02:43 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

I keep telling Scooby to sit, or jump on the table to stop them. I know the banging it unfair on the lab, which is why I don't wanna keep on doing it, if anything he's probably more scared by it than the staffie.

He can be pulled off the lab, but it's not easy, he's solid muscle!
Old 04 December 2006, 02:48 PM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

He is solid muscle or because of his solid muscle?

I'll get my coat....
Old 04 December 2006, 02:50 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

No comment
Old 04 December 2006, 02:50 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

I keep telling Scooby to sit, or jump on the table to stop them. I know the banging it unfair on the lab, which is why I don't wanna keep on doing it, if anything he's probably more scared by it than the staffie.

He can be pulled off the lab, but it's not easy, he's solid muscle!
If he doesn't respond to the growl and he's really locked on, give him a jab with your fingertips around the neck, not as hard as you can, but hard enough for him to feel it, the neck is the strongest part of the dog.

If you open your hand like a claw, (like you were holding a tennis ball with your fingers all around it) it will replicate another dogs bite. So the sound and the "bite" will be associated, if the jab doesn't work, you have to push him to the floor and hold him down with your finger tips on his neck, which is what the mother would do when he was naughty. You shouldn't need a lot of strength or pressure to do this...
Old 04 December 2006, 02:53 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

Good, because I'm not very strong - as far as I am aware anyway

Again, worth a try

He doesn't seem to go for Scooby when Scooby goes for him to get him off him, he should be fine give or take a few days

Quick Reply: Following on from my Dog thread