Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

quick question about cordless phones?

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2006, 09:13 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick question about cordless phones?

Say you buy a set of 3 cordles phones-u have the main one on the base unit which needs to plug into a phone socket and a 240v plug socket as well-do the other 2 phones also need a power supply or not? or do they not have a battery in them?
Old 30 November 2006, 09:16 PM
mpr
Scooby Regular

if you want to charge the other 2 phones then you will need to plug their bases into a socket. You could just rotate all 3 phones for a turn in the charger if it was that much trouble to plug in all 3 bases. All the phones need a battery to power their radio link back to the base station.
Old 30 November 2006, 09:19 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

Thanks thought as much but didn't know wether the other 2 phones could power themselves from the small amount of electricity that is generated by a phone signal.
Old 30 November 2006, 09:26 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ^OPM^
Thanks thought as much but didn't know wether the other 2 phones could power themselves from the small amount of electricity that is generated by a phone signal.
Please tell me you are an IT bod and NOT an Engineer!!!

Absolutely BRILLIANT!!! Radio waves can power a mobile phone ..... PRICELESS!!!!

I LOVE SN!!!!
Old 30 November 2006, 09:31 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

a phone signal generates a small electric charge-did u not know that-i didn't say enough to charge aa batteries but its enough to make a phone say flash a light on it when it rings-without it being plugged into wall or having any batteries in it-so eat my shorts Pete

Originally Posted by pslewis
Please tell me you are an IT bod and NOT an Engineer!!!

Absolutely BRILLIANT!!! Radio waves can power a mobile phone ..... PRICELESS!!!!

I LOVE SN!!!!
Old 30 November 2006, 09:36 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

Someones just gave me good reputation on this thread-that you Pete
Old 30 November 2006, 11:24 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Someones just gave me good reputation on this thread-that you Pete
Could be? I cannot remember, I do give them to worthy causes ... I wasn't laughing AT you my friend - just with you!!
Old 30 November 2006, 11:25 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

U sure?

Could be? I cannot remember, I do give them to worthy causes ... I wasn't laughing AT you my friend - just with you!!
Old 30 November 2006, 11:27 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

Oh do a search according to one site i just found the charge is approx 1 volt that comes down phone line-before u say anything i didn't say it was a lot nor did i say it would charge 2 AA batteries neither.
Old 30 November 2006, 11:40 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Oh do a search according to one site i just found the charge is approx 1 volt that comes down phone line-before u say anything i didn't say it was a lot nor did i say it would charge 2 AA batteries neither.
Maybe it would work then ....... why have cordless phones with batteries at all?
Old 30 November 2006, 11:46 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

Yes it comes down the phone line (and is more than 1v I believe), but that is just enough power to make CONNECTED phone ring, not magically transfer the electricity through the air.

Having said that, that's the next thing I want. My laptop doesn't have any wires for internet connection etc.. I just want some 'through the air' power now.

Steve
Old 30 November 2006, 11:46 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

I guess with only 1v they would be very quiet to hear in operation-whilst that would be ok for someone like me who is young with good hearing, for someone who is old like your good self-well u might struggle to hear when using it

I guess at end of day whilst 1v is ok on a normal phone to make it flash an LED when you pick handset up to make a phone cordless takes a few more volts.
Old 01 December 2006, 12:31 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

you say the electricity cant magically come thro air but, about 25 years ago when i was a lad i had one of those cheap electronic sets and in kit you could build a radio that would work without a battery-it would use power from radio waves to generate the sound-so yes it wasn't very loud but without a battery you could still hear the radio playing.

Originally Posted by boxst
Hello

Yes it comes down the phone line (and is more than 1v I believe), but that is just enough power to make CONNECTED phone ring, not magically transfer the electricity through the air.

Having said that, that's the next thing I want. My laptop doesn't have any wires for internet connection etc.. I just want some 'through the air' power now.

Steve
Old 01 December 2006, 12:39 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

you say the electricity cant magically come thro air but, about 25 years ago when i was a lad i had one of those cheap electronic sets and in kit you could build a radio that would work without a battery-it would use power from radio waves to generate the sound-so yes it wasn't very loud but without a battery you could still hear the radio playing.
Hello

Yes, I made one of those. An interesting article here: Chapter 4: Radio

And if the radio becomes too depressing, this one can be used to end it all..

Steve
Old 01 December 2006, 12:46 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

A crystal AM radio is a far cry from a encoded digital transciever, lcd display, handsfree speaker, and memory for your addressbook and missed calls

One requires a few mV and uA to work. The other needs at least 3 volts and a few hundred mA.

Reminds me of the those journalists that spouted reports of "what we will have in the future" where one of the things was we would generate electrcity in space and "beam" it back to earth. Right oh, beam me aboard scotty. Will a 2x4 do ya cap'n?
Old 01 December 2006, 12:49 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

i was only asking -anyway 500 years ago all the clever scientists in world would tell you world was flat- who knows for future-cordless phones without batteries
Old 01 December 2006, 01:08 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

TV companies use the same principle you know to determine viewer figures. They work out how much power is drained from their transmitters by the televisions, and from that they can work out how many people are watching.

Maybe ;-)
Old 01 December 2006, 01:10 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

I see nerdy people
Old 01 December 2006, 01:11 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

i was only asking -anyway 500 years ago all the clever scientists in world would tell you world was flat- who knows for future-cordless phones without batteries
What are you saying??

The world is NOT flat!!??
Old 01 December 2006, 01:19 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

of course world is flat-if i place a ball on my back garden it dont roll so it must be flat

What are you saying??

The world is NOT flat!!??
Old 01 December 2006, 03:24 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

OPM you don't need 3 phone sockets for the 3 handsets, just the one phone line (and a mains electricity socket) for the master base. The 2 other bases need to be plugged into a mains 3 pin socket to charge the handset batteries.

It seems by reading through the thread you're under the impression you need 3 phone sockets?
Old 01 December 2006, 03:39 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man

Reminds me of the those journalists that spouted reports of "what we will have in the future" where one of the things was we would generate electrcity in space and "beam" it back to earth. Right oh, beam me aboard scotty. Will a 2x4 do ya cap'n?
Except the scientific principle for this idea is sound. Just don't get too near the ground station
Old 01 December 2006, 04:21 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

no i was more asking from the power point of view-thanks

quote=Jay m A]OPM you don't need 3 phone sockets for the 3 handsets, just the one phone line (and a mains electricity socket) for the master base. The 2 other bases need to be plugged into a mains 3 pin socket to charge the handset batteries.

It seems by reading through the thread you're under the impression you need 3 phone sockets?[/quote]