Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

MacDonalds

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2006, 08:11 AM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MacDonalds

Why does everyone slag them off and blame the worlds ills and our chunky children on them?

Granted I only have one every now and again.McNuggets (floor sweepings or not )are nice I'm not fat,nor was I as a kid.

I blame the governments policy on marriage and dopey parents.All these divorces result in access visits taking place at MacDonalds.

You don't have to eat their stuff for gawds sake!!
Old 30 November 2006, 08:16 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

OH I get it.....

SO divorce is the root cause of fat/unhealthy kids!!!

I'm blame the parents!!

Dan
Old 30 November 2006, 08:17 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are an easy target instead of people blaming themselves for their fat kids its always easier to blame someone else.
Old 30 November 2006, 08:19 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Watch Supersize Me and then decide
Old 30 November 2006, 08:53 AM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Rannoch
Watch Supersize Me and then decide
If you ate 15,000 calories worth of free range, organic, fair-trade, vegetarian nut cutlets evry day you would still get awfully fat and very ill.

Supersize Me is a biased and unscientific movie designed to make money.

There is nothing wrong with McDonalds (at least from a dietary point of view) so long as you have it in moderation!

mb
Old 30 November 2006, 09:01 AM
Curse of the Rushing Gimp
Scooby Regular

kids nowadays have prehistoric palates so all they want to eat is crap. the key to this is making the skools give them healthy stuff and ban the chippys from serving them or even giving them a fried aubergine sarnie instead cooked in olive oil
Old 30 November 2006, 09:04 AM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

"Watch Supersize Me and then decide "

the guy ate more **** than humanly possible - and still only put on a bit of weight.

if he'd eaten tuna and an apple every day for a month he'd be in far worse shape!
Old 30 November 2006, 09:07 AM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

IMO, the key to it is like most things, their bl00dy parents should take some responsibility!

When I was a kid (28 now) I loved McDonalds, chip shop chips, sweets etc, but my Mum and Dad let me have them once in a blue moon as a treat (McDonalds, chips shop etc), and we were allowed to buy sweets once a week with our 20p pocket money

This "blame everyone else for everything" culture we've got nowadays makes me mad!
Old 30 November 2006, 10:49 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

ANy problems with todays kids are purely the fault of parents.

Whether it's ******* up their heads with bitter divorces, or letting them eat too much junk, it's the parents respsonsibilty.

Kids don't know how to behave, what to eat, they have to be taught. They also don't have regular income. So, who is teaching (letting) them eat crap, or giving them the money to buy crap?

Bad behaviour is another one. I see so many parents who just let their kids get away with murder, then wonder why they behave badly?

Every single prog you see like Super Nanny etc., they tackle the parents, and lo and behold, the kids fall into line!

It's not rocket science.

Geezer
Old 30 November 2006, 10:57 AM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer
ANy problems with todays kids are purely the fault of parents.

Whether it's ******* up their heads with bitter divorces, or letting them eat too much junk, it's the parents respsonsibilty.

Kids don't know how to behave, what to eat, they have to be taught. They also don't have regular income. So, who is teaching (letting) them eat crap, or giving them the money to buy crap?

Bad behaviour is another one. I see so many parents who just let their kids get away with murder, then wonder why they behave badly?

Every single prog you see like Super Nanny etc., they tackle the parents, and lo and behold, the kids fall into line!

It's not rocket science.

Geezer
Spot on!
Old 30 November 2006, 11:00 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Have to say, between "Super size me" and "Jamie's School dinners" I don't eat McDonald's, Burger King, etc any more.

Parents are to blame more than the restaurants though. They only provide a service. If there were no customers they'd go bust.
Parents feeding their kids processed food every night, or having McDonald's, Pizza's, Kentucky Fried Chicken because they can't cook apart from the Turkey Twislers and chips, are solely to blame.

When I was growing up, every night there would be a cooked dinner for me. Either Mince and Dumpling, shepherds pie, Roast Dinners, etc. How many young parents can honestly say they can cook that for their kids? Very few I'd imagine. Give them treats once a weeks or so, and get them out side playing games rather than sat in front of their XBox, and we'd have hardly any fat kids.

Just my opinion
Old 30 November 2006, 11:47 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I bring my kids up on those very same values stated above

However, they do get a choice of meals (when I'm in the mood to give them the choice - I'm the cook ), but they NEVER ask the cr@p. They would rather have home-made spag bol, pizzas (inc fresh pizza base) and proper un-processed food.
Brilliant!!

We do go to Maccy D's as a treat every now and again, but they want to go for the atmosphere (other kids etc) rather than the food. A Happy Meal tends to get half-eaten, and the toys get played with

It's a social interaction thing.

The same with the TV/DVD/Xbox etc..... Usually the TV is on. But moreso for ambience, as no bugger's watching it! Failing that, my music's on.
They enjoy all of my old games more than anything (as there's nothing new like it!) - I've even set up my Spectrum 48K. They love it. All the Atari sports/Pacman etc.....
Xbox - they prefer to watch me, but then get bored and go off to play.

Even the computer, my eldest (6) likes to go to BBC site for the education stuff, or Five.tv to download pictures to print off & colour in.......
I've even put one of my older synthesisers in the conservatory for them to play on - works really well (on headphones of course!! )

I don't see this really changing because as parents, we don't rely on the TV or other distractions to interact with our kids.

But back to the food thing - my kids like nothing more (and this is where the education aspect kicks in) than for example, at the weekend, helping me cook. We bake cakes, make all sorts of things. And they can see what's going into their food. More importantly, they understand why specific ingredients work too.
It also helps, that fortunately, my dad survived a heart-attack earlier in the year, so food/diet became a BIG thing in the family. The kids have taken this to "heart" too

There's nothing wrong with all this "junk" food, as long as it is part of an intake of healthy proper food. (and eaten in moderation!)

Dan
Old 30 November 2006, 12:22 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

I'm very dissapointed ! I thought this thread was about the X-Factor !!
Old 30 November 2006, 12:32 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

When I was a kid, Macdonalds was a once/twice a year treat, usually as bribery to go shopping for school uniform and remain cooperative.not dissapear, all I got was a hamburger and some chips, nowdays they have way more choice and the stuff is cheaper, I was at college in 1989 and used to go then and a Chicken Sandwich was 1.79, its cheaper than that now with a lot of stuff under a quid so its more accesible, we used to have to rely on my cousin working there and nicking the game cards to get free stuff !

My kids get that kind of stuff on holidays, birthdays or when there is no option and I think they arent all that bothered any more, the missus did a Shepards pie the other night and they seemed more into that !

Imagine working there, every day and you can eat whatever you want, you say you wont but at 12 o clock you get your break and your hungry, I would be dead in a month !
Old 30 November 2006, 02:45 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
I'm very dissapointed ! I thought this thread was about the X-Factor !!
both are sh1te
Old 30 November 2006, 04:33 PM
orbix
Scooby Regular

Parents feeding their kids processed food every night, or having McDonald's, Pizza's, Kentucky Fried Chicken because they can't cook apart from the Turkey Twislers and chips, are solely to blame.
I believe people in general are lazy these days.

When your at the supermarket it's a lot easier to put a bag of chips in the trolley then a bag of spuds, that will need peeling, cooking etc.
Also by buying frozen meals/food you only need to do one shop a month.
Not a weekly shop for fruit and veg.

I don't know anybody these days that have a veg batch in there garden.
Old 30 November 2006, 04:37 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

the thing is with macdonalds is that its full of fat and grease has anyone ever had a burger thats not dripping in the stuff i'd rather go burger king or kfc than maccies where as burger king dont cook in fat and grease and are flamed grilled which is probably healthier thats why maccies are getting a slating off!
Old 30 November 2006, 05:58 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Dont think it makes a whole lot of difference to be honest.
Old 30 November 2006, 06:11 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boomer
If you ate 15,000 calories worth of free range, organic, fair-trade, vegetarian nut cutlets evry day you would still get awfully fat and very ill.

Supersize Me is a biased and unscientific movie designed to make money.

There is nothing wrong with McDonalds (at least from a dietary point of view) so long as you have it in moderation!

mb
mb (and all the other Supersize Me haters),

I agree about moderation - however I do dispute manipulation which Macdonalds have been guilty of in the past.

Only three items out of the dozens on their menu did not have added sugar. If you research sugar consumption there is some excellent research indicating that the excess sugar consumption is probably the single most damaging factor in health and longevity. Consistently eating above around 20gms of refined sugar a day will reduce your lifespan more than smoking or a high fat diet. Indeed sugar is more like to result in high cholesterol than eating butter.

MacDonalds are not alone in this nutritive manipulation but they are certainly guilty of it.

Oh, and why sugar, because all animals are attracted to it and will want to eat foods containing it.

So I am sure that I do get fat eating my 15,000 calories of organic, free range food but it is not killing me as fast

Rannoch
Old 30 November 2006, 06:47 PM
Martin_Aimless
Scooby Regular

Location: Weapons are like money; no one knows the meaning of enough. M.A.

Fast Food - Slow Suicide