Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Cv Help

Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2006, 10:09 PM
DaveL001
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cv Help

Anyone got a decent guide on writing a CV, i know the way an prospective employer likes these written changes regular!!!
rgds
Old 27 November 2006, 10:47 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can depend on the type of job and the level of experience that you have, but in general:

Keep it short and concise - Maximum of 2 or 3 pages of A4

Start with the basic details: name at the top (not something lame like CV or Curriculum Vitae - employers aren't thick, they know what the document is) contact numbers, email address etc

Next, put a short one or two paragraphs about what you are i.e. I am a xxxx, with xxx years experience etc

Next list out 5 or 6 key things that you've done - things that highlight your strengths.

Second page should start with your employment history - couple of lines on each job with your basic responsibilities. Give rough leaving and joining dates for each.

Next list your qualifications, then school history - how important this is depends on how old you are. The older you get, the less important it is, as an employer is much more interested in your work experience.

Then any other details - marital status, driving licence, interests outside of work (to show you have a life!)

Finally, 2 references - one professional and one personal

Basic rules:

Don't lie
Be prepared to explain all the details listed on your CV
If you have gaps in your employment history - explain why
Remember it's a sales document - selling you. Use positive terms.
Spell check everything
Get someone else to read and check it.
Consider writing a covering letter to go with the CV - it looks more professional.
If you're replying by email, include the CV in Word or PDF formats (and also tell agencies not to make changes, without your permission)

All a CV has to do is get your foot in the door - get you an interview - if you manage that, it has done its job. CVs don't get people jobs. YOU, will get the job.

I've used more or less this format for the last 10 years. It's actually quite hard to condense everything down into this short a document. But, it is worth it. Having been responsible for recruitment in the past, I can assure you that anything over this length tends to get ignored, as there simply isn't time to read 20 page CVs!

Good luck
Chris

Last edited by Chris L; 27 November 2006 at 10:59 PM.