Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dj's, taking vinyl abroad..?

Search this Thread

Old 23 November 2006, 05:30 PM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dj's, taking vinyl abroad..?

Going to Perth in Jan and will be staying a while, want to take a box of records with me which i dont want to check in (valuble and fragile) but are pretty heavy... is there a way round this or what do you do???

Flying with Emirates if that makes a difference

Cheers
Old 23 November 2006, 06:31 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Had a request from a DJ going to Ministry in Cairo (I think) the other day. He was be-moaning the fact that he'd have to pay excess on the luggage and asking if there was a way to courier to Egypt. Of course there is but it works out more expensive due of course to the weight - he wanted a 2 day air service as he had a gig.

It "could" be freighted out there & would take about a week. Give me an idea of the number of records or the actual weight and I can get you a quotation.
Old 23 November 2006, 06:53 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Well, prior to august madness regarding airlines it was no problem.
Now, thanks to stupid restrictions to one bag only as carry on its a little harder and more awkward.

Previously you could take two bags on as carry on, and I used to take the UDG slingbag trolley set, which holds 120 in total. Has wheels so its easy to move, and fit easily in the lockers and of course being fabric they are very lightweight.
Now, due to these stupid restrictions, you can only take the one bag, and the udg trolley is the maximum you will be able to take as a carry on bag widthwise (56x45x25cm is the dimensions allowed).This holds about 65/70 max. Would that be enough for you?

Alternatively you could check them in, just be sure you weigh them properly so they arent overweight or you will get raped for the excess. Pretty sure Emirates is 32kg max per checked piece still, which would mean a bag of 80 or 90 ish should just fit under. Ive never actually checked any in TBH so no idea how much they weigh accurately!
Use UDG bags or similar not metal ones, as the metal ones weigh a shedload even before you put a single record in them!
Lock them and make sure they are marked as fragile!

This is the reason why most international djs have switched to CD's....simply for the fact they can fit them all in their carry on with no problems and no worries about their tunes going missing, which used to happen to the big guiys with alarming regularity

Ive just sold a spare UDG 90 bag I had- you could have had it cheap had you asked a couple of weeks ago!
Saw a 90 capacity one on ebay for £25 yesterday btw, it may be there still if you hurry.
Old 23 November 2006, 08:18 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

check your records in and fly your clothes by courier

i have alot of experience of freight and egypt

most sched airlines wil charge you 1 percent of first class fare for excess baggage.
Old 23 November 2006, 08:19 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

puff the magic
are you in the industry who do you work for