Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

House prices (RANT!)

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2006, 06:12 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default House prices (RANT!)

i want to buy a house, i have a job, i have a credit history, i am 20, im on roughly 20k a year and i cant get a ****ing house. All the houses around my area are around 130k upwards(and the ones that are 130k are all in dumps where i wouldnt want to live) which to most isnt much to alot of people but it is to me a first time buyer it is! i think its disgusting how the prices are risen so high. I have rented a house for a good few years now and cant afford to save for a deposit so i'm really in rut, why does things like this always happen to honest people!

on the other hand my older sister who has never worked a day in her life, has never paid tax, national insurance or for that matter a TV LICENSE gets to live in a beautiful luxury flat, can go on holidays (i've never had a proper holiday in my whole working 5 years of working life) and is able to go out every weekend!

what the hell is wrong with this country/government?
Old 21 November 2006, 06:19 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sure if fine a nice man to make love with, you can have what your sister has.
Old 21 November 2006, 06:28 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

i'm not sure what u mean by that but AYE Saunter!
Old 21 November 2006, 06:44 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Boy (dropping trousers) - I bet you haven't got one of These!

Girl (lifting skirt) - No, but with one of These, I can get as many of Those as I want!
Old 21 November 2006, 09:09 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Sorry to be a bit contentious, but why do people assume it's a given right to buy a house? 100 years ago, only the very rich owned their own homes and everyone else rented. Even a generation back, very few people owned their own home by the time they were 20. In a lot of other countries, only the rich own their own homes. Here, people assume that they must be able to own their own home by the time they're 18, and it's the government / country's fault if they can't.

There is a certain supply and demand logic that says if everyone is mad keen to get on to the housing ladder, then it's going to ensure that prices stay high.

This isn't to criticise being on a decent salary with a decent credit history etc at 20, but at that age you have a long while of earning still to come(probably 50 years the way things are going), payrises likely to arrive etc and you'll probably get there before you're even close to being old!

I'm also not suggesting life is fair, or that your older sister deserves to have more than you, etc, but sad fact is life is very rarely fair.
Old 21 November 2006, 09:18 PM
turbogav
Scooby Regular

Got to agree with hades i'm afraid. Although i bought my first place at 20 it was a tiny studio flat but hey that was all i could afford at the time. Lived there for a couple of years then moved on when I could afford a bigger place. I would suggest that other than in London you are bound to find something less than 100k around the county to start with. Just my 2p's worth anyway. Goodluck mate.
Old 21 November 2006, 09:22 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BigJay
(and the ones that are 130k are all in dumps where i wouldnt want to live)
Choosers, Beggars, be, can't.
Old 21 November 2006, 09:30 PM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by turbogav
Got to agree with hades i'm afraid. Although i bought my first place at 20 it was a tiny studio flat but hey that was all i could afford at the time. Lived there for a couple of years then moved on when I could afford a bigger place. I would suggest that other than in London you are bound to find something less than 100k around the county to start with. Just my 2p's worth anyway. Goodluck mate.
doubtful when that wont buy you owt decent in Birmingham nevermind anywhere nice

fortunately i got on the housing market years ago
Old 21 November 2006, 09:46 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BigJay
on the other hand my older sister who has never worked a day in her life, has never paid tax, national insurance or for that matter a TV LICENSE gets to live in a beautiful luxury flat, can go on holidays (i've never had a proper holiday in my whole working 5 years of working life) and is able to go out every weekend!

what the hell is wrong with this country/government?
How long did she have to wait on the council housing list for that?
Old 21 November 2006, 10:00 PM
turbogav
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by brumdaisy
doubtful when that wont buy you owt decent in Birmingham nevermind anywhere nice

South Coast, Hampshire - Studios - c.75k One bed flats - c.low90'sk and up. Where abouts in the country are you BigJay?

Last edited by turbogav; 21 November 2006 at 10:04 PM.
Old 21 November 2006, 10:05 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

my tuppence. im 22 now, bought my house when i was 20 in march 2005. was on around 15-16k wages and got a 100% mortgage for 75k. live in s****horpe as people on here know. no where near as bad as hull, grimsby, bradford for certain crimes and reputation etc, and i live on a good road. im not a chav etc bla bla bla, work hard for what i have, and for me and the missus we earn around 30-32k between us. its still hard sometimes when you consider debts such as loand for home improvements, cars etc, but id rather be in this situation young and reap the benifits when old.

im similarly on 20k plus a year in my job and il tell the guy at the top now, you have no chance with a 130k mortgage on your wages alone. unless you have a big lump some to pay off, the solution is simple... either rent or look elsewhere, or wait...

im sort of lucky in the town i live in. it relatively cheap to buy compared to bigger cities etc, but its not a dive to live in. its a good place in general and my road in particular rarely has major trouble on it. example being i had to scoobs parked on the road outside over 11 months or so, never any damage etc, so it depends on getting that balance right.

good luck anyway.
Old 21 November 2006, 10:07 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

20 years old .... £20k a year .... sorry, you are not old enough and you aren't paid enough.

Thats life .........
Old 21 November 2006, 10:17 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Theres some really tempting offers tho - you could buy a flat with 5 mates, and take out a mortgage of 5 x salary!

I hear house price ONLY go UP, so do WHATEVER IT TAKES to get on the "ladder", or you'll be left behind - I mean estate agents and mortgage lenders wouldnt say it if I wasnt true right?

My advice would be to build up some savings any wait a year or two. IMO I think we'll see some big changes to the economy in general, not just the housing market, but its up to you at the end of the day.
Old 21 November 2006, 10:21 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

20 seems pretty young, the average age of first home buyers is around 31 I think. Most people aren't out of Uni until 21-22 and then a gap year and a few more starting off on the career ladder.

Actually it's 34 now : FirstRungNow - First Time Home Buyers - First Time Buyer Mortgages - UK Home Mortgages

At that age you should be backpacking across Asia.
Old 22 November 2006, 06:29 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
20 seems pretty young, the average age of first home buyers is around 31 I think. Most people aren't out of Uni until 21-22 and then a gap year and a few more starting off on the career ladder.

Actually it's 34 now : FirstRungNow - First Time Home Buyers - First Time Buyer Mortgages - UK Home Mortgages

At that age you should be backpacking across Asia.
thats your personal opinion, and i respect that. but i felt that i would be best given the situation i was in, to get on the property ladder when i did. il admit with my drawing talents, i do regret sometimes that i didnt goto university when i had the chance and was accepted all over the country, but thats another kettle of fish regarding 4 years worth of debts. i dunno, but i think id rather have a mortgage to pay at the moment than a huge amount of government borrowed debt...

horses for courses.
Old 22 November 2006, 08:34 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by brumdaisy

It's not about "nice" it's about what you can afford.
Old 22 November 2006, 08:39 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Got my first house at 19 years old

I'm afraid you won't generate too much sympathy on here as most of us already own our houses and think we're rich due to the hikes over the past decade
Old 22 November 2006, 08:57 AM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

i'm 24 and don't think i will have my own place for another 2 years. Hopefully in that time i can get a good deposit together. reep the benifits of the increasing intrest rate now...
Old 22 November 2006, 09:18 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Housing in this country is seriously screwed up, if you're not on the housing ladder now you're completely stuffed.

This should never have been allowed to happen, since Labour came to power house prices have trebled, so if a house was £50k 10 years ago, it's now £150k for exactly the same house. How can people afford that?

No-one should be allowed to borrow more than 3 times their salary, that used to be the case, so house prices stayed reasonably in line with wages.
Old 22 November 2006, 09:29 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul3446
Housing in this country is seriously screwed up, if you're not on the housing ladder now you're completely stuffed.

This should never have been allowed to happen, since Labour came to power house prices have trebled, so if a house was £50k 10 years ago, it's now £150k for exactly the same house. How can people afford that?

No-one should be allowed to borrow more than 3 times their salary, that used to be the case, so house prices stayed reasonably in line with wages.
Completely agree with you on that. I feel sorry for BigJay. People say beggars can't be choosers, but come on. A house round here that used to be £25k, that you wouldn't wish an enemy to live in, are now bordering on the £100k value.
Some people need to give their head a shake. Just because you've payed £500K+ for a house doesn't mean it's worth £500k+. 5 years ago that same house was probably £180k.
Why the attitude of this country is to brag how rich, or how much you payed for something is, I don't know.

When/if the market crashes, these same Mr. Big Bollox (I payed £XXX for my house, look at me) start having their over inflated houses repossessed, they'll be crying into their hand, thinking why did I borrow 5 times my wage.

I waited till I was 28 before buying my own property, and have a very nice 2 bed apartment. If I was wanting to buy my apartment now, I wouldn't be able to afford it if it was a first time purchase.
Old 22 November 2006, 09:36 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Completely agree with you on that. I feel sorry for BigJay. People say beggars can't be choosers, but come on. A house round here that used to be £25k, that you wouldn't wish an enemy to live in, are now bordering on the £100k value.
Some people need to give their head a shake. Just because you've payed £500K+ for a house doesn't mean it's worth £500k+. 5 years ago that same house was probably £180k.
Why the attitude of this country is to brag how rich, or how much you payed for something is, I don't know.

When/if the market crashes, these same Mr. Big Bollox (I payed £XXX for my house, look at me) start having their over inflated houses repossessed, they'll be crying into their hand, thinking why did I borrow 5 times my wage.

I waited till I was 28 before buying my own property, and have a very nice 2 bed apartment. If I was wanting to buy my apartment now, I wouldn't be able to afford it if it was a first time purchase.
agreed. when i moved into this house i own now 15 years ago with my mum, when i was 6-7 i think, it was worth around £30,000. i bought it for £70,000 even though it was worth more, as my mum needed to pay off debts etc, and wanted to give me a headstart on the property ladder. she now rents and is debt free. i have a house worth more than what i payed for it, and im on the ever increasingly difficult ladder. its a decent three bedroom terrace with pretty much new boiler and central heating, excellent double glazing under 5 years old and a new roof too. all it is is cosmetics. even had a damp course done this year, and some plastering too.

ive said it before i am missing out on a few things like being able to have a brand new car etc, but the way the trend is going with house prices, i think ive made the right decision in the long run...

andy
Old 22 November 2006, 09:57 AM
PG
Scooby Regular

I bought the most I could afford (not what I wanted but what I could afford) as soon as I could. This has set me in good stead.
Most of my mates were pissing it up against a wall. I sacrificed a new car, nights out ect and went for a house.
Old 22 November 2006, 01:16 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

ive seen these price rises before and as soon as the mortgage rate goes up it stops dead(just gone up 0.25%) and if it goes up a lot house prices will fall.Everyone thinks it cant happen again but i think the house market is a collapse waiting to happen.Rent for now and invest elsewhere for the next few years it will make you more money.....only my personal veiw
Old 22 November 2006, 01:27 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

I'm 27 and earning an ok salary. I have just bought a 2 bedroom flat for £133k but on a buy to let. I'm going to let it for the next few years whilst living at home and pay everything I can off the mortgage. This is the only way I can save up a decent enough deposit to buy and afford to live in a place of my own. Of course it would help if I was buying with a partner. You have to remember that people never used to buy homes on their own, they bought them with their husband or wife.
Old 22 November 2006, 01:32 PM
Ignored
BANNED

When are people going to get it into their thick skulls that there are too many of us to all be king of the castle. Some people will own houses, some won't and some will be dossing on the streets.

Oh and happy ******* christmas
Old 22 November 2006, 01:59 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

I'm (er) slightly older than 20, and have just bought a place.

Don't be in such a hurry.

And if you're renting but can't afford to save some money then you don't earn enough to have a house (imho etc. zzzz).

Chill out and enjoy being 20!

Next you'll be posting that your pipe and slippers cost too much or something
Old 22 November 2006, 02:04 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

buy mine in Tyldesley just outside of Manchester, house is 7 - 8 years old in a nice area about a 5 min walk from the town centre, and about 10 mins in a taxi to Manchester city centre.

http://www.millersproperty.co.uk/sho...=Add&transfor=

This link has pictures of the inside as well

Property for Sale - Flats & Houses for sale - Property Search - Fish4

Last edited by jaytc2003; 22 November 2006 at 02:42 PM.
Old 22 November 2006, 02:08 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

BBC NEWS | Business | House prices 'set for slowdown'
Old 22 November 2006, 02:22 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Ignored
king of the castle.

Oh and happy ******* christmas
Old 22 November 2006, 02:47 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Taken from the Finacial Times - "Housing bust likely within next few years"

Financial Times website

A housing market bust is likely within the next few years because house price growth has been grounded in unrealistic expectations of double-digit annual rises, a report by a prominent economist and former adviser to Gordon Brown will warn on Wednesday.

Throwing cold water on the current housing market euphoria, David Miles, chief UK economist of Morgan Stanley, says it is only possible to explain the more than doubling of house prices in the past decade if people’s demand for housing has been heavily influenced by expectations that the rapid price rises would continue.

Once house price rises come down below expectations, he thinks “significant” falls are likely. “A sharp fall in real house prices is likely at some point in the relatively near future, though it could yet be one to two years away,” the report concludes.

Mr Miles’ report comes amid increasing concern that borrowers are overstretching themselves as banks such as Abbey National compete to offer home loans five or more times larger than borrowers’ salaries.

Last week the Financial Services Authority, the City watchdog, warned banks offering large income multiples that they were expected to “stress test” their loan book using statistical models to ensure they could cope in circumstances as extreme as a 40 per cent fall in house prices.

Mr Miles, who was asked by the chancellor to review the mortgage market in 2003, calculates that a little over a half of the rise in house prices has been driven by speculation that prices would continue to rise rapidly. The other half of the rise should endure because it is based on population growth, income growth and reductions in the financing costs of mortgages.

He estimates that at present, home buyers are expecting cash prices to continue rising by as much as 10 per cent a year, compared with 2 per cent in 1996.

These buoyant expectations of price rises, based on home owners’ experiences over the past five years, have fuelled demand and driven prices even higher.

But these forces are the hallmarks of a bubble, which will deflate rapidly once price rises fail to meet expectations. Though Mr Miles’ model shows that under almost any assumptions “a sharp reversal of the recent run up in prices is likely”, he does not predict when it will come.

“The model shows why trying to ‘call’ the housing market over the next year or two is pretty much hopeless,” he says, because small changes in assumptions can have a large effect. But he adds: “Sharp falls in real house prices may not come for a year or so, but come they probably will.”

Earlier this month John Hawksworth of PwC estimated the housing market was about 15 per cent overvalued and there was a one in three chance of house prices being lower in 2010 than today. Mervyn King, governor of the Bank of England, said much the same in May when he said “the level of house prices still seems remarkably high relative to average earnings or average incomes or anything else you could look at”.

Additional reporting by Jane Croft

Last edited by Petem95; 22 November 2006 at 02:51 PM.

Quick Reply: House prices (RANT!)