Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Black box on the car.....

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2006, 10:48 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Black box on the car.....

.....it WILL be coming to a car near you.

Very interesting thread over here on Pistonheads : PH: Interesting phone call from Direct Line

Looks like some people will just agree to this without checking what is actually involved, start to gain momentum and market penetration, leading to compulsory fitting.

George Orwell = Nostradamus
Old 21 November 2006, 12:23 PM
Baby Scuff
Scooby Regular

i still don't know how the logistics of this will work.
For example, I am the only named driver on my own car, I am insured to drive any other car 3rd party as is other members of my family, I am the main user of my car, however occasionally I borrow my parents Estate car and quite often I drive my girlfriends car, also occasionally my dad uses my car. If I had this policy and someone was to borrow my car and drive it third party under their insurance, will I be penalised if they speed or drive late at night, even though my insurance is not covering the driver?.
Old 21 November 2006, 12:32 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Baby Scuff
i still don't know how the logistics of this will work.
For example, I am the only named driver on my own car, I am insured to drive any other car 3rd party as is other members of my family, I am the main user of my car, however occasionally I borrow my parents Estate car and quite often I drive my girlfriends car, also occasionally my dad uses my car. If I had this policy and someone was to borrow my car and drive it third party under their insurance, will I be penalised if they speed or drive late at night, even though my insurance is not covering the driver?.
I would imagine it remains an issue between them and their insurers..... as that policy is what they would be covered by / adhering to.....
Old 21 November 2006, 12:37 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Imagine the Police demanding the information ............ but then again we'll all have a black box fitted soon....... no more speed cameras then.
Old 21 November 2006, 12:40 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

You have to ask youselves why are they offering this service? Of course, the black boxes , whilst being free to you, will cost the insurers a pretty penny - Money thay has to be recouped. How? By not paying out on claims where they ordinarily would not be able to contest the issue. Doing 33 in a 30? Sorry buddy, you were speeding, we ain't paying.

Of course the ultimate conclusion is that you will have to pay a premium not to have one fitted.
Old 21 November 2006, 12:45 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by r32
Imagine the Police demanding the information ............ but then again we'll all have a black box fitted soon....... no more speed cameras then.
I am not sure this will come into effect anytime soon. There is no way the government can afford to pay for this technology to go into every car through the public purse - therefore they will have to convince everyone that they want to pay for it themselves - As is the case with ID cards. I just can't see the public at large swallowing it.
Old 21 November 2006, 01:10 PM
Optical Race
Scooby Regular

they can kiss my hairy **** (And I am not going to wash it) before one of those goes in my car. What next:

"Well sir, while we were removing your appendix we have also fitted a blackbox because you get discounted medical insurance with it. Thought we would get it done while we were in there"

They Can FRO for all I care.

Last edited by Optical Race; 21 November 2006 at 01:12 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 21 November 2006, 01:12 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And after they know where you've been they will start asking who you were seeing and why...
Old 21 November 2006, 01:58 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Have they factored in the huge cost of building waiting areas at the end of all tunnels ?
Old 21 November 2006, 09:38 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

was chatting to someone in the pub other day about this aparantly his m8 has one, he also just happens to fly twin engined planes, so hes going to put a battery on it and take it with him

just imagine the insurance company calling him saying he was doing 200 mph over the channel pmsl
Old 21 November 2006, 09:46 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs down air bags have black boxes already

I remember once reading that regular air bags already have some monitoring gear as standard. I searched for a link and found this, which hints that the black box is probably already on board.

States Consider Black Box Laws

If you don't know there is a black box in your car recording your driving habits, it's time you found out. If your car is equipped with airbags it's also equipped with a black box.

The function of an event data recorder -- or EDR -- is to deploy the airbags in an accident. But wait there is more. Much more. The EDR collects a lot of information that it uses in deciding when to fire the airbags.

The continuing concern is that drivers do not have access to the information collected in their cars' black boxes, or even know their cars have the devices, but insurance companies and police departments can access the data to use against drivers following accidents.