Carbon Dioxide & Global Warming

Search this Thread

Old 15 November 2006, 02:51 PM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Dioxide & Global Warming

As ever, who do you believe?

The press etc appear to be putting forward only one point of view and most people take this as gospel.

I found the following article today and think that everyone should be encouraged to read this to balance the argument and then make up their own minds:

http://www.abd.org.uk/climate_change_truths.htm

It's quite a long document, but has some valid points and makes very interesting reading.
If you enjoy using your car and are tired of being vilified you may want to pass it around before we all tow the line and accept what we're told.

Synical - me ??

Last edited by Sigma Sam; 16 November 2006 at 01:16 PM.
Old 15 November 2006, 06:39 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Im surprised that you havent been banned with a user-name like that. The fact that you endeavour to help people wont make the slightest difference. You spell cynical with a C, btw.

Simon
Old 15 November 2006, 07:10 PM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

Oops, quite right Simon...CCCCCC. I'd edit it, but you've got me now!

I can change the name if it offends, although I post as an individual, not a business.
I have always thought it best to be open about my connection to the standard fit alarm system, so people can make up their own minds as to the content of my posts.
I'm not a company selling my wares. I understand the site requirements; no phone numbers, web addresses or product promotion - just advice on the standard UK system and general security where I may be able to help. No ulterior motives.

I wouldnt normally post on anything else, let alone start a thread, but having read this document today, I felt strongly that as many people as possible should be made aware of it and then come to their own conclusions as to the causes of climate change.

Before I toddle back to the security forum... any thoughts on the thread?

Last edited by Sigma Sam; 15 November 2006 at 08:10 PM.
Old 15 November 2006, 07:51 PM
Laura W
Scooby Regular

i am a teacher and am responsible for the "eco" part of the curriculum including recycling, sustainable development etc and i get soooo much **** off them for my car!!!! will show them this and they can all **** off! LOL
Old 15 November 2006, 11:00 PM
Laura W
Scooby Regular

we have to teach them now about saving resources etc, very hippy-esq but its the law now!
Old 15 November 2006, 11:01 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
I'm sorry but wot's all that b*llux doing being taught at school?

President Tony wants the little ones indoctrinated with the party line from an early age

(Sense of Deja vu here anyone?)

John.

Trending Topics

Old 16 November 2006, 11:14 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

No one should be made to read anything, encouraged is fair enough though.

Les
Old 16 November 2006, 01:15 PM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

Originally Posted by Leslie
No one should be made to read anything, encouraged is fair enough though.

Les
Fair point.
Poorly worded - now edited!
Old 16 November 2006, 05:47 PM
shooter007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sigma Sam
As ever, who do you believe?

The press etc appear to be putting forward only one point of view and most people take this as gospel.

I found the following article today and think that everyone should be encouraged to read this to balance the argument and then make up their own minds:

It's quite a long document, but has some valid points and makes very interesting reading.
If you enjoy using your car and are tired of being vilified you may want to pass it around before we all tow the line and accept what we're told.

Synical - me ??
spot on sigma sam only believe what you can vairify for your self especially when polititions get involved
Old 16 November 2006, 07:29 PM
oblong
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sigma Sam
I thank you for the link. Im making a collection of these skeptic sites and this one is quite a find.

On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being knowledgable about the subject and making few mistakes, and 1 being quite clueless and making tons of mistakes (whether intentional or not), that site gets a 2.

That is it will challenege a level 1 or level 2 believer of global warming. But a level 5 believer in global warming - ie one who has a moderate understanding of the subject will perceive the arguments on that site as being strawmen, and most of the data as being unfactual.

The first thing I noticed when I loaded that link was that the graph for Lower tropospheric temperature is wrong. There is no cooling trend, it's a warming one:
Image:Satellite Temperatures.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I also seriously doubt their IPCC trend is correct either. The IPCC didn't exist until 1988 and the 1st report wasn't until 1990, so how could they have made a prediction starting in 1980? Also the IPCC gives ranges for future temperture projections, not a straight line like that.

Some paragraphs contain more factual errors than you can shake a stick at. The general tone of the article makes it clear they have an agenda which is seriously biasing the content they present.
Old 17 November 2006, 02:41 PM
markGT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by oblong
Some paragraphs contain more factual errors than you can shake a stick at. The general tone of the article makes it clear they have an agenda which is seriously biasing the content they present.
A bit like the government then!!! As ever we are asked to believe what the government and the media feed us and take it as gospel, weapons of mass destruction anyone? Is there any evidence of global warming? Lots of people stand to make a lot of money out of it, increase in taxes etc, screwing the motorist etc etc. Think outside of the box ladies and gentlemen and don’t believe everything uncle Tony tells you!

Last edited by markGT; 17 November 2006 at 02:46 PM.
Old 17 November 2006, 08:44 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by oblong
The first thing I noticed when I loaded that link was that the graph for Lower tropospheric temperature is wrong. There is no cooling trend, it's a warming one:
Image:Satellite Temperatures.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wiki, that impartial, peer reviewed, scientifically validated oracle of all knowledge

Haven't you been reading the Sunday Telegraph for the last couple of weeks (see Scoobynet posts passim)

mb
Old 18 November 2006, 01:25 AM
oblong
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boomer
Wiki, that impartial, peer reviewed, scientifically validated oracle of all knowledge
Wikipedia technical articles with their sourced images and footnotes are far superior to that website which has neither. They don't even source the datasets for the graph I am talking about. It's just totally wrong data wherever they got it from. They claim it is global lower tropospheric temperatures on the label. But those have risen in both the UAH and RSS temperature trends as shown in the wikipedia article. Don't believe it? Then go to the UAH and RSS sites to check.

Haven't you been reading the Sunday Telegraph for the last couple of weeks (see Scoobynet posts passim)
The sunday telegraph isn't going to correct that site's incorrect graph, or the countless errors made over all those pages.
Old 13 December 2006, 08:10 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Im surprised that you havent been banned with a user-name like that. The fact that you endeavour to help people wont make the slightest difference.

Simon
I was joking when I said that; but in a petulant act of crass stupidity the webmaster has banned 'Sigma Sam'.
Old 13 December 2006, 08:47 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Oblong,

have a look at this.

MSU records from NASA show a trend of +0.045 degC/decade. That's >200years for a 1 degree rise.

If that's not insignificant enough, those figures are adjusted (ie, increased) to remove the effect of stratospheric cooling.
Well, WHY??. If the troposhpere is heating less due to cooling from above then that is the number they should use surely ?

Anyway, article on the NASA microwave sounding units... Satellite-based observations of tropospheric temperature
Old 13 December 2006, 08:48 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Global warming wasnt the point of my ressurecting this thread ffs.
Old 13 December 2006, 08:49 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

ps, if you email 'turbobloke' on Pistonheads I'm sure he'll source you the references as AFAIK he wrote the ABD stuff.
Old 13 December 2006, 08:52 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

1. I missed it first time around
2. it's not your thread
3. wind yer neck in, this is a public forum
Old 13 December 2006, 08:54 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I too can be rude. **** off.
Old 13 December 2006, 08:57 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

^^^Red blob.
Old 13 December 2006, 08:58 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

You should see the email that Ive sent to the webmaster.
Old 13 December 2006, 08:59 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Don't mess with GC8 DocJock. He gets people banned!
Old 13 December 2006, 09:00 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

If this statement is true:

Mankind is responsible for only 3.5% of total global carbon cycle CO2 emissions, and cars are responsible for only one-seventh of that 3.5%. This amounts to just 0.5% of total emissions. If every car disappeared from the surface of the Earth overnight, there would be no measurable drop in atmospheric carbon dioxide levels, and absolutely no impact whatsoever on climate change.

In fact there would probably be an increase in carbon dioxide levels, since it is highly unlikely that all of the journeys undertaken by car are totally pointless and would not need to be made by other means, which translates to public transport for all but the shortest of recreational travel. Since public transport would struggle to cope with any major influx of passengers, there would need to be more buses and trains in use. And since Automotive Advisers and Associates of Hilden, Germany, have shown that public transport consumes 60% more energy per person transported than cars, this lower level of energy efficiency would likely give rise to higher levels of carbon dioxide emissions.
Then proposals for taxing the motorist for green issues cannot be justified surely?
Old 13 December 2006, 09:02 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Oh and I missed this thread 1st time round too
Old 13 December 2006, 10:43 PM
Sauron
Scooby Regular

When all the scientists quote the figures to prove global warming they are using data for a period of less than 200 years.
In global terms this would be equivalent of a milisecond in a human life time.
Ergo anyone who is seen drunk on a Friday or Saturday night out must therefore be a raving alcoholic who are drunk 24/7. Amd need radical treatment.
Stats can be made to prove any point of view that is currently in fashion.
I am still wiating for the destruction of the ozone layer which was promised in the early 90's.
Old 03 February 2013, 12:21 PM
maggellwin
Scooby Newbie

Default Unrelated but help request

Sigma Sam, sorry but the only way I could find to contact you was to reply to this read..I would appreciate it if you could take a look at my sigma related question I posted earlier today, many thanks maggellwin
Old 03 February 2013, 12:25 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Holy Thread Revival, Batman.......!
Old 03 February 2013, 02:30 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Interesting that the scientists are telling us that there has been no significant increase in GBW for the last 16 years or so,and that neither do they predict any for some years to come.

They say that the percentage content of the atmosphere of CO2 by volume is 0.038%.

That seems so low that it must be virtuall immeasurable.

Never mind, the politicians have made an awful lot of money out of the populace with the GBW scare and are continuing to do so. They must love those scientists, including the ones who came up with the big scare story when the GBW measuring device came up with an artificially high reading after solar heating on the lifting balloon caused the temperature readings to be all wrong!

Les

Quick Reply: Carbon Dioxide & Global Warming