Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Best Cheap Motorbike?

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2001, 04:56 PM
Cheeky Jim
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I passed my Bike test back in late August, I was going to buy a bike straight away, something like a CBR600 or a ZX6R. However, on the same day the Trade Center was attacked, I found out I am going to be a Dad for the first time, so I am not likely to forget that in a hurry. Consequently, all my funds to buy a £6k bike are now currently being used to fund prams, cots, and bottles etc (and a house move!)

So, I am going to have to invest in a slightly older model to potter about on and get my biking legs as it were.

Anyone recommend a good bike for a newbie in the £1500 sort of price bracket? I want something that isn't going to be really slow or really fast, but can handle a 6ft 16.5 stone chappy with relative ease!

All advice welcome..

Cheers

Jamie
Old 22 November 2001, 05:09 PM
andrew6321
Scooby Regular

I'd still aim for a ZX or CBR if that's what you were originally looking for, only you'll end up with one that's a bit older, that's all. The Honda motor, in particular, is fairly bullet-proof, so age ought not to be an issue so long as its been looked after. Just as much fun though....

Andrew
Old 22 November 2001, 05:11 PM
father_jack
Scooby Regular

I'd go for a big trailie, not fast, but great fun.
Something like a KLX650 maybe.......
Old 22 November 2001, 06:06 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

i wouldnt go for a big trailie!!!! not ever!!!

i had a Yamaha Super Ten. 750cc, good in the desert im sure pants on the road, since then i've only ever had sports bikes and keep my motorcrosser for dirty stuff.

cbr 600 was allways a good bike, also consider ZZR600, if your big its good as its a fair bit bigger than other 600's (and, for a 600, its fast!)

Tiggs
Old 22 November 2001, 06:09 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'm 6ft 14st and have a zzr 600 (e2 - L reg) (about £1500)

100bhp so as good as CBR in performance.

good reliable bike (36000 miles!)

good as a first bike - very predictable and stable and will do 155mph (on a race track) if you want it to good for pillion as well - very comfy

Old 22 November 2001, 07:38 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

for a first bike (if you want sports bike) i would recommend cbr400 or vfr400 both VVV reliable (hondas are generally) the only catch might be your height, im 5ft 7 and 16 stone and it wasnt a problem but i would recommend sitting on one and seeing what you think.

The vfr is slightly more expensive to service, and the cbr revs like a loony (16k redline if memory serves me right).
Old 22 November 2001, 09:01 PM
ChrisG
Scooby Regular

I would say not to go out and buy a zx6r or cbr6 as a first bike. Personaly I think people under estimate them. These things are very quick and (no offence) not for beginers......
Trust me, I am speaking from experience. I did direct access, had more money than sense and bought a brand new ZX6R then came off it within a couple of months. Wasn't just a minor fall either.
If it is a sports bike you are after, I would say to go for the CBR400/VFR400 NC30/ZXR400 type of thing. Aprilia RS250 and Suzuki SV650S are also well worth a look.
Mind you I'm sure now you are about to be a "responsible" father and your sense of self preservation will be much stonger than mine was.
I don't want to sound like I'm putting a downer on biking, far from it, I think the feeling of riding a sportsbike is out of this world. Much better than any scoob. In fact I'm looking for another bike just now. Something sensible like a ZX7R

Trending Topics

Old 22 November 2001, 09:42 PM
phd
Scooby Regular

For as first timer on a big bike, I'd say you can't really get better value than a GPZ500. Loads of good uns around for not too much money.
Reasonable insurance and loads of spares available. Build up the no claims (and experience) before venturing into the superbike league.
That's what I'm doing ( born again biker!)

Pete

[Edited for spelins!]

[Edited by phd - 11/22/2001 9:42:57 PM]
Old 22 November 2001, 09:48 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

I would say avoid the Aprilia RS250, i had one for about a year (from new)

I don't think its a good first timer bike as to get the best from it you've gotta wring its neck, carry lots of corner speed and angle of dangle and have no engine braking to rely on.

Its also got V limited tank range @ 100 miles before you have to fill up with fully synthetic two stroke (anything less can mean engine seize) plus the running costs are expensive (engine rebuilds @ 30k every 30k).

Its also physically smaller than the cbr + vfr, in fact it was smaller than the 125 sport pro aprilia i traded in for it!

There a pig to commute on, with lots of revvin needed as well in traffic, plus at older ages things start going a bit pear shaped with two strokes.

BUT they are a stunning bike which will teach you lots about cornering when your trying to keep up with friends on 600's etc, they handle awesomely well, you can be king of the late breakers due to its small size and the kick from a two stroke is more frenzied than my last bike (996 duke). But i would not recommend as a beginners machine, certainly not 1500 quid ones....

for twelve months i was max biaggi and nothing more satisfying than going up the inside or outside of someone round druids as you can corner that much faster, they get well miffed having to drag you down on the straights just to get overtaken in the braking areas or round the next corner

[Edited by ptholt - 11/22/2001 9:52:25 PM]
Old 22 November 2001, 09:57 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

never understood the idea of a 400, they're built for ickle jap blokes who cant pick up proper bike up if it falls over!

get a ZZR 600, fast, comfy, sporty enough and fast!

Tiggs

ps- all very sensible advice saying dont get something to fast but if you get something slow you'll try to ride at 110%, just get something fast then ride it at 80%
Old 22 November 2001, 10:02 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Cor never thought i would see anything written down that quoted gpz's and zzr's as sporty and fast!

scary, what is the world coming too

only jokin guys, no offence meant.
Old 22 November 2001, 11:24 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

ptholt,

when launched the ZZR was a "sporty" bike and one of the fastest 600's you could get.

i had mine for 2 years and it was superb.

this guy is 16 stone so he's not likley to consider an aprilla is he, hed squash it cause its a toy more suited to parking outside a chippy.

and dont start me on dukes, they're unreliable tractors aren't they? bought by foggy wanabes.

i've ridden every fast bike there is from GPZ900r- GSXR1000 and everything in beween. for a road bike the ZZR6 is perfect.

Tiggs

ps- forgot the 's so heres some and have one for my next bit

whats better than taking people round druids on a kids bike?.... taking dukes on an R1 on the straight down to hawthorns
Old 23 November 2001, 12:05 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

GT550

Well - that's the courier in me
Old 23 November 2001, 07:45 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

yeah but taking most things on an R1 is not exactly hard is it, lets be honest (unless were talking a 'busa up the motorway to assen)

at least theres some challenge in riding a two stroke fast, it wasnt me that suggested he got the aprilia, was some other chap.

i looked like a sack of spuds had been plonked on top of mt prilla, and he's a good 5 inches or so taller than me!
Old 23 November 2001, 10:27 AM
Cheeky Jim
Scooby Regular

Morning all,

Seems I have inadvertantly started an interesting conversation. Becoming the 'responsible' father is something that I do have to take into consideration, and although the wife isn't that worried, she doesn't want me to stuff it into the nearest hedge.

I think that a ZZR600 might be about right, I don't intend to get my knee down on the first roundabout I come to (might get me fat tum down first!)

I have wanted a bike for ages, but never had the pennies to really do it properly and I think that owning the Scoob has bred the caution that I simply wouldn't have had driving any other 'regular' car or if I had passed my test at 18.

I think back to when I was 18 and bezzing about in my Mum's Austin Maestro 1.3L. It was by no means quick, but I still managed to get into (and fortunately out of) a few sticky moments. If had owned a Scooby then, I am sure I would have wrapped it around a tree fairly quickly.

Owning the Scooby made me realise I can catch people out very quickly, because they simply don't realise you can accelerate into a gap so quickly or they don't appreciate how quick you are travelling.

On a bike it is quicker than that, with less visibility...so it's safe to say that I am still a 'learner' on a bike, and I definitely appreciate the issues.

Sorry, had a bit of a ramble, but I think that a ZXR400 would be a bit small. I sat on an R6 and that felt small, whereas the GSXR600 seemed much more me... bit bigger and more comfy...a bit more presence on the road.!

Anyway, all the thoughts are much appreciated.

Jamie
Old 23 November 2001, 12:08 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Cheap reasonable newish first bike= Suzuki Bandit.
or Yamaha 650 Diversion. or with more cash a Yamaha Fazer.
I've got a Fazer and its fine on performance and importantly INSURANCE. I can mostly keep up with my mate on his ZX6-R although not through the bends(more his ability over mine than bike). The good thing about bikes is that relatively(to cars) you can pretty much promise yourself anything in your lifetime so take your time and work your way up to the top.
I was actually thinking of dropping to an Aprilla RS250 from my Fazer 600 just to try something new. Still lust after a Ducati 996 and probably could scrape the dough together but then what would I get after that or look forward to buying.

Best of Luck
Cammy
Old 23 November 2001, 01:02 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

cammy, after a 996 you could get something reliable

more i think about this the more i remember how good the ZZR6 was.

Tiggs

ps- taking anything on an R1 is easy- no its not, like saying im 6'6 so i can go 2 on 2 with michael jordan!
Old 23 November 2001, 01:02 PM
scooby nutter
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Consider - Honda Cr 500 (road registered)=
1st gear , Wheelie
2nd gear ,Wheelie
3rd gear ,Wheelie
4th gear ,Wheelie
5th gear ,Wheelie

supermoto rgv wheels ,ultra sticky tyres
big brakes

Broken bones!
Old 23 November 2001, 01:07 PM
glen4
Scooby Regular

Talking

Buy a Yam 350 powervalve, you'll get a nice one for your budget and it will still embarass plenty of larger sports bikes in the right hands. They are good fun to ride. Every motorcyclist should own one at least once. I had great fun at the TT in '94 blowing plenty of GSXR's and FZR's and the like through the twistys.

glen
Old 23 November 2001, 01:56 PM
paulmon
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
PTholt,

I disagree with your comments about the RS250, I owned one for over 2 years before it got nicked. If I was buying another bike I would get another RS. Yes you do have to ring it's neck, but the type of riding style the RS250 demands will make you a much better rider than if you jumped on a big four stroke.

It is much lighter than even the jap import 400's and so it much more forgiving. It takes no skill to jump on a 4 stroke and ride it around in any gear you want.

I have owned a number of bikes and there is nothing more rewarding than getting everything just right on the RS250:

Brake(as late as possible), Change down 2 gears (keep it above 7000rpm, turn in, nail the throttle, bye bye fireblade)

The bike is good for 135Mph (where permitted). If you do decide to get an RS250 the Arrow Exhaust system is a must.

If insurance is a problem then buy an RS125 and get it deristricted (very quick).

Old 23 November 2001, 02:01 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Don't get me wrong paulmon, i loved my rs250 as well, i just don't think it makes a good first bike.

you will learn lots on one and when you can ride a two stroke to its limit will make you a much better 4 stroke rider imo.

but i just think its a steep learning curve for a first bike.

The only bit that would worry me on a £1500 though would be its lifespan....
Old 23 November 2001, 02:22 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

double post.

[Edited by ptholt - 11/23/2001 2:31:04 PM]
Old 23 November 2001, 04:28 PM
Cheeky Jim
Scooby Regular

I don't think a 125 or a 250 even in derestricted mode would be much cop!!

Although I am a newbie biker, I am not completely crap. I can ride in a straight line, go round corners and I don't wobble at slow speeds....I just don't want to have a bike that is dog slow or takes ages to get to 70mph!!

I think that within 6 months I will have learnt an awful lot, and I would like a bike that gives me some flexibility to learn and then keep me interested.

Plus, 16 stone is a bit....

Jim
Old 23 November 2001, 05:16 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Jim,
In this case size does not really matter. Engine sizes are not the great indicator they once were. 600's vary from 60BHP up to 120BHP. I believe the RS250 is about 68BHP(just remembering from Top Bike,VBH tested it). The lightness of it would make it really good for acceleration and higher corner speeds. 125 I would probably say is a bit weedy but don't be put off by the engine size, its one of those questions that is now mostly irrelevant regarding bike performance. My mate had a VFR 400 and I can assure it could easily keep up with my Fazer 600. The RS250 is an out and out race bike, it'll do 135MPH FFS, how much do you really need

Cheers
Cammy

Regards
Cammy
Old 23 November 2001, 06:05 PM
gadge
Scooby Regular

Cool

stik to the old favs GSXR 750 cheap but can be very fast when u whant it to b a 1986 should only cost you £1350 ish with money to play or gat a nice can.
i have a MY86 GSXR 1100 so can vouch for fun days gone and to come
well worth a thought!

garry
Old 23 November 2001, 07:01 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

do not buy anything under 600, they are kids bikes for kids, end of story.

Tiggs
Old 24 November 2001, 12:48 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

i shouldnt worry about discounting the two strokes as 'learner' bikes its far from that - which is the point i was trying to make earlier.

It takes much more ability (and bottle) to ride a two strike fast and keep up with the larger bikes than it does on a zx6 or something like that.

As for an rs250 feeling slow..... don't worry about that, the kick you get from two stroke power is a much more active kick in the pants than most four strokes produce, when it comes on song you'll be left breathless for such a small bike.
The kick from my rs250 was a much bigger thrill than the linear power delivery of my 110bhp zx6r.

If you did go rs250 route you would learn a LOT, though that learning curve may be steep to get the best from it.

If you want linear power and smooth delivery get a fourstroke.
If you want a kick in the pants and a barking mad power delivery try a two stroke.

ps. im 16 stone as well.

my zx6r would not wheelie straight off the throttle with my weight on it (without using clutch or front bike to compress suspension), my rs250 would pick the front wheel up under power alone......

Nothing kiddish about feeling nice and smug as you outbrake and out corner much bigger bikes where they have to rely on nice easy straights to get past you

[Edited by ptholt - 11/24/2001 12:52:40 AM]
Old 24 November 2001, 01:17 PM
DominicA
Scooby Regular

Wink

Yeah guys, the turning circle and smooth power delivery make the RS250 a must for all new riders!!!! DO NOT BUY THIS BIKE!!!!! CBR6, FAZER, ZZR6.... take yer pick...

Old 26 November 2001, 09:50 AM
Cheeky Jim
Scooby Regular

Smile

Well,

Definitely a difference in opinion here...toss up between an Aprilia RS250 or a ZZR600.

Next question then, which is going to be more reliable in the long term? Or are they both ok?

I heard that the early Aprilia's, a bit like the Ducati's are a bit temperamental, but then that could be hearsay...

I am still a bit put off by the thought of a 'little' bike. Even though it is probably great fun etc..

But ta for the responses..

Jamie
Old 26 November 2001, 10:19 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

i think i answered the reliability issue in one of my first posts.

Two strokes are much more expensive to maintain, and require regular maintenance. <and fully synthytetic two stroke oil>.

Also at the amount of money you are looking to pay, i would be a little worried just how good the two stroke is.......

Quick Reply: Best Cheap Motorbike?