Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Jobs you had as a kid ?

Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2006, 09:21 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jobs you had as a kid ?

I decided one day when I was 13 I needed a job, mainly because my dad wouldnt give me any money, went to newsagent got paper round and that was that, 2.25 a week the tight get, lasted a few months then got headhunted by another newsagent for 3.30, glad to get away from 'Mt Butt' the slavedriver with the yellow eyes and no doubt a horrific kidney problem.

Always did the rounds for those who didnt turn up, morning and evening, did the Pink football paper with my cousin which never made any money but was good fun.

Also used to valet cars, pick tomato's and worked in a bakery. Got to 18 and worked in pubs.

Always used to have cash, always scamming, used to get some cheap christmas cards and rather than delivering them with the paper, I used to knock on and hand it to the householder and say Merry Christmas trying to look as pathetic as possible, better if it was p1ssing down, but it worked very well, especially as I was covering another lads round who couldnt be arsed, got 44 quid that year !
Old 16 October 2006, 09:23 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Worked at a paintballing place from 14-17. Cash in hand, £35 a day .
Wouldn't mind working there again
Old 16 October 2006, 09:26 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Worked at a garden nursery that owned a dangerous dog. If I managed to make it passed the german sheperd without my legs getting severed, the day consisted of filling pots with peat in a dark and rank smelling shed.
Oh the joy!!!!!
Then to make life worse I decided to get a job picking mushrooms in a darker and even more rank smelling shed...

Shudder at the thought now, but cash was gold back then.

Andy

Last edited by Fuzz; 16 October 2006 at 09:31 PM.
Old 16 October 2006, 09:34 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Paper round at thirteen delivering 390 papers at a penny a paper. Milk round at fourteen but lasted all of one day when we got caught drinking a pint from the back of the van. Market stall at fifteen but got sacked for giving mates discounts. Selling Sky subscriptions at seventeen but that lasted all of two weeks when the company relocated. Then stumbled into the wonderful world of beds which has provided the bread and butter to this day since the age of seventeen.
Old 16 October 2006, 09:38 PM
Nido
Scooby Regular

Too many to mention - had to keep myself in **** - then got a girlfriend and realised how cheap **** was in comparison
Old 16 October 2006, 09:45 PM
Leebo77
Scooby Regular

Used to fill bedding plant trays with peat in a Nursery. Two pence per tray...
..also, have cooked beetroot on huge boilers and put pickled onions and pickled cabbage into jars! Exciting!
Old 16 October 2006, 10:38 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nido
Too many to mention - had to keep myself in **** - then got a girlfriend and realised how cheap **** was in comparison
Was walking home from school once when a passing van bundled a black bag out full of ****. Kept the best lezzer ones and sold te rest at school for 4 quid a go. Made 80 quid in a week and then blew it on cheap cider
Old 17 October 2006, 11:33 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wink

Junior warehouseman at 16, (sweeper-upper )

Helped unpaid to build the Lincolnshire coast Light Railway at Humberston nr Cleethorpes, for 6 weeks after my "O" levels.

Worked on the local steelworks every summer as a student, jobs ranging from Dumper driver, to sweeper-upper, to blast furnace sample lad (on nights). Now THAT was summat: to be on the "floor" of the furnace, when it was tapped! And to dip two HUGE, long, heavy ladles into first the slag, then the molten iron, as it ran, before pouring them into a mould and taking them across the night-time works (spooky) to the labs for analysis. I always went the long way round, as there was reputed to be a ghost under the "valve arch" beneath the highline...............

Alcazar
Old 17 October 2006, 12:51 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

1989, aged 16 I used to spread straw bedding at the weekends in duck sheds, piece work, very smelly (it wasn't unusual to be physically sick on first entering the shed). But good money at the time for 2-3 hours work (£23). Soon got sick of the stench however, and gave it up after 5 months. Got an evening job preparing the potatos in a Fish and Chip shop, Tuesday to Friday evenings, twice on Saturday. That was good money too, as I didn't take the ****, I was well rewarded at the time, £40 per week for peeling and chipping about 2 tonnes of potatos a week. (using machines not by hand...)
Old 17 October 2006, 01:21 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Used to work 20 hours a day down't pit for tuppence a month!
Old 17 October 2006, 01:28 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

1993 started a paperound. Bloody hard work it was too. I was never late though and always did the job for 2 and a half years. I remember one big massive house I delivered every weeked the financial times. now on a weekend it came with all the magazines etc but this huge house had the smallest letterbox youve ever seen. No way was that paper readable once I put it through the letter box week in week out They never changed their letterbox and they continued to order it every weekend. crazy people.

Ohh yeah christmas time was great when you had a large paperound. Tips saw me at very least £100 every year

Last edited by davegtt; 17 October 2006 at 01:37 PM.
Old 17 October 2006, 01:31 PM
Matt_taylor
Scooby Regular

when i was 14. i washed cars in my mates dad garage, worked ona sat 8.30-1 and got given a tenner!!

did that for a cpl of years then worked in a pizza place (another mate of my dads) and progreesed to delivery driver, never had a paper round!
Old 17 October 2006, 01:36 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

started working at Gateways supermarket at 13 and stayed there until I left school and got a full time job as a cabinet makers assistant before moving on to an apprenticeship doing Alarm installation and Electrical Engineer. Had a few jobs as an adult but not as many as some on here
Old 17 October 2006, 01:48 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

At 13 started a paperound at local newsagents and got the coveted marking up position. Then I combined 2 rounds into one and done that as my round, and got the job of spare. After than I went round to the other local newsagents and got a job there maring up and a spare.

Then after work spent 2 hours each night after school working in the stockroom and stacking shelves. All this at the same time.

I was properly minted.
Old 17 October 2006, 02:03 PM
nathanb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
Was walking home from school once when a passing van bundled a black bag out full of ****. Kept the best lezzer ones and sold te rest at school for 4 quid a go. Made 80 quid in a week and then blew it on cheap cider
Has anyone kept their **** stash from their youth? I still have a carrier bag full and prob havent looked at them in 10 years but I havent the heart to throw them out as they are part of my youth!!
Old 17 October 2006, 02:05 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by nathanb
Has anyone kept their **** stash from their youth? I still have a carrier bag full and prob havent looked at them in 10 years but I havent the heart to throw them out as they are part of my youth!!
They going to become a family airloom for you to pass onto your son etc
Old 17 October 2006, 02:06 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Binned my **** stash years ago. Had a few hundred mags. Got rid of all the car mags at the same time too, wish I had kept them.
Old 17 October 2006, 02:07 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
Binned my **** stash years ago. Had a few hundred mags. Got rid of all the car mags at the same time too, wish I had kept them.
I hope you recycled!
Old 17 October 2006, 02:08 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Sold them off.
Old 17 October 2006, 02:09 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Yep still got about a dozen or so mags from my youth, I to don't have the heart to chuck them.
Old 17 October 2006, 02:32 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

I used to work behind the bar on my parent's passenger boat when I was at school, it wasn't unknown for me to top up my orange juice with a quick squirt or two from the vodka optic Unfortunately my Dad is a Scoobynet regular so no doubt I've dropped myself in it and will have to suffer the consequences despite it being nearly 30 years ago
Old 17 October 2006, 02:33 PM
nathanb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tam the bam
Yep still got about a dozen or so mags from my youth, I to don't have the heart to chuck them.
thank god for that I thought I was gonna be labelled weird
Old 17 October 2006, 02:37 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

thank god for that I thought I was gonna be labelled weird
Dont worry, I've labelled you both as wierd
Old 17 October 2006, 04:36 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Hah! I already labelled EVERYONE that doesn't come from S c u n t h o r p e as weird

Alcazar
Old 17 October 2006, 04:48 PM
orbix
Scooby Regular

At 14 I was an indoor cricket umpire. £4 a match 3 matches a night 7 nights a week if you really wanted the work and kiddies parties on the saturday.

The abuse from adults I use to get :-

"That's out, -5 runs"
"-5 runs for swearing"
"You was ran out and thats another -5 runs for swearing"
"Everytime you swear at me I'm taking 5 runs off your team, calm down and lets get on with the game"
"I heard that, that's another 5 runs off!"

I'm surprised I never got smacked.
Old 17 October 2006, 04:59 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
Used to work 20 hours a day down't pit for tuppence a month!
The youth of today dont know that theyre born!
Old 17 October 2006, 06:31 PM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

i used to do the spotlight /limelight at a theatre
Old 17 October 2006, 07:39 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

had 2 paper rounds, used to get paid on a sunday and spend all the cash on spectrum magazines

got to 16 (i think) and had a part time job in curries as a store man helper

hated that, got to 17, and started as a "pitch bitch" cleaning the cars at a ford dealerships used car lot, did one year, was promoted to valet er ??!!?? which meant that i did not have to stand outside in the cold (bonus )

did that for 5 years, couldn't think of anything else to do, even though there was no money in it for me, i had completely messed up my school education and got random A levels in crap like design

applied for Nisan motors to help build the cars, and it turns out, one of my references, used to be a trainer for Nissan helping the new lads build up there skills, straight in there, and never looked back.

Last edited by StickyMicky; 17 October 2006 at 07:44 PM.
Old 17 October 2006, 07:41 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Morning, Evening and Sunday paper rounds and eventually the marking up position. After the morning round at weekend and school holidays, I'd go to the local cattery and clean out their **** and feed them.

Sometime cleaning there **** out made me heave

I spunked all my cash on Tamiya radio controlled cars.

These jobs are character building

Quick Reply: Jobs you had as a kid ?