Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Muslim anger as London Olympics clash with Ramadam

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2006, 09:15 AM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
Question Muslim anger as London Olympics clash with Ramadam

just seen this posted a cruise notts.... is it true or a wind up?

The 2012 London Olympics have been plunged into controversy by the discovery that the Games will clash with Ramadan, the most holy month in the Islamic calendar.

The clash will put Muslim athletes at a disadvantage as they will be expected to fast from sunrise to sunset for the entire duration of the Games.

Muslims' anger as London Olympics clash with Ramadan | the Daily Mail
Old 15 October 2006, 09:23 AM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Almost certainly not a wind up, what the.........
Old 15 October 2006, 09:24 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Behead the IOC!
Old 15 October 2006, 09:48 AM
gatty
Scooby Regular

would the brainwashed angry bunch just pack your bags and go to your nearest airport and f.o.c.k off!

and take the pc lefty loonies with you! so they can see how your culture realy is.
Old 15 October 2006, 09:48 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Weight loss - the new Olympic competition!
Old 15 October 2006, 10:23 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

more pc madness, what happened at all the other previous games???

if they lay down and roll over to this one, then its game over for the rest of us!!!

Did Jessie Owens kick up a fuss during the 1936 olympics?? nope he just went

onto win 4 gold medals, and stuck 2 fingers up to adolf to boot!!

when will this madness end

mart
Old 15 October 2006, 10:28 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Only in the UK do you get this PC nonsense.
Old 15 October 2006, 10:51 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Will any of them actually be participating in such an evil infidel event like the Olympics anyway?!

I dont doubt they'll be trying to bomb it, but I dont think they'll be entering.
Old 15 October 2006, 10:53 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny how the comitee didnt notice, oh and neither did the Muslim community until its too late ?

It's is the same as it being as at Christmas but I cant see your average uk athlete not competing cos there is a good film on or not wanting to run cos he has gorged himself on After Eights and feels sick.

Basically, its up to them, either compete or dont, the whole world cannot stop because you have a month off dinners, I know it is important to Muslims but only because it got made up 2000 odd years ago like the rest of religion, besides, isnt there a few get out clauses. I personally reckon its a nice idea, not eating to make you think about those less fortunate than yourself and giving to charity but there should be some leniency for those who need to opt out.

Anyway, the Olympics, its only sports day for grown ups, doesnt actually matter so when you break it down its some people who wont eat during daylight for a month objecting to some running races and stuff coinciding as it might disadvantage them when they are trying to win a shiny medal.

Anyone else think the Olympics are generally pretty tedious, might actually improve it watching a few half starved wobbly Muslims running, could be an advantage, get the coach to drag an Onion Bhajee on a bit of string as added motivation.
Old 15 October 2006, 11:02 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by J4CKO
get the coach to drag an Onion Bhajee on a bit of string as added motivation.
Old 15 October 2006, 11:10 AM
gatty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Funny how the comitee didnt notice, oh and neither did the Muslim community until its too late ?

It's is the same as it being as at Christmas but I cant see your average uk athlete not competing cos there is a good film on or not wanting to run cos he has gorged himself on After Eights and feels sick.

Basically, its up to them, either compete or dont, the whole world cannot stop because you have a month off dinners, I know it is important to Muslims but only because it got made up 2000 odd years ago like the rest of religion, besides, isnt there a few get out clauses. I personally reckon its a nice idea, not eating to make you think about those less fortunate than yourself and giving to charity but there should be some leniency for those who need to opt out.

Anyway, the Olympics, its only sports day for grown ups, doesnt actually matter so when you break it down its some people who wont eat during daylight for a month objecting to some running races and stuff coinciding as it might disadvantage them when they are trying to win a shiny medal.

Anyone else think the Olympics are generally pretty tedious, might actually improve it watching a few half starved wobbly Muslims running, could be an advantage, get the coach to drag an Onion Bhajee on a bit of string as added motivation.

Old 15 October 2006, 11:11 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Mind you I can recall some English cricketers refusing to play on a Sunday. My memory is fading but wasn't there a test player - The Rev Alan Shepherd - who lost his place because of this? And we didn't laugh at him but rather respected him for his principled stand.
Old 15 October 2006, 11:17 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Mind you I can recall some English cricketers refusing to play on a Sunday. My memory is fading but wasn't there a test player - The Rev Alan Shepherd - who lost his place because of this? And we didn't laugh at him but rather respected him for his principled stand.
I didnt respect his principalled stand, life is too full nowadays to spend a whole day a week (1 of 2 most arent at work, some do more I know) to just do nothing, ditto going to church for two hours. I can understand the need to relax but to reject doing anything on a Sunday just because it is Sunday is bizarre.

Anyway, its Cricket, who would actually notice, probably not the crowd !
Old 15 October 2006, 11:19 AM
gatty
Scooby Regular

dont give them any ammunition they will dig that fact up if its true.

they dont respect fukk all from us so why should we show any respect to them

fecc em off
Old 15 October 2006, 11:23 AM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

how many have entered for the 400m Muslim woman PJ race.... only for woman to watch too.. and no communal showrs either!! dame!
Old 15 October 2006, 11:24 AM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

ps.. i like the google links at the bottom of the page!.. single muslim! muslim girl mag... is that ****? lol etc
Old 15 October 2006, 11:27 AM
Scooby.Newbie
Scooby Regular

Isnt that the point though, we respected his principles and he lost his place, he didn't expect everyone else to comply to his beliefs and only play cricket on a Tuesday morning or something.
Old 15 October 2006, 11:31 AM
Echo
Scooby Regular

Seems to me, as a very liberal middle of the road kinda guy, that things are getting silly. I'm finding that I want all these tent wearing people to go away to where they're happy and not have them take over by stealth and turn this in to a muslimist country. Thing is, I'm not sure anymore if I can say that?

BTW, on the google ads on the foot of the pae the current ad's are:

'Single Muslim - find your marriage partner", "Muslim Girl Magazine - the mag that represents your values" etc...
Old 15 October 2006, 11:33 AM
Butkus
Scooby Regular

I can see their argument for comparing it to Christmas, but Christmas is 25th December every year so it's a fairly ingrained date. That's a bit different to something that is a different time every year, and an eleven day shift earlier per year is quite a huge movement.

Also, if a quarter of the participants are Muslim, surely someone would have noticed before now that there was a problem?

Also, you have to laugh at the mental image created by the Onion Bhajia comment above!
Old 15 October 2006, 12:24 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

This is getting ******* ridiculous.
Old 15 October 2006, 01:16 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

There are 2million muslim folk in a polulation of 60million in the UK.

Its about time the politicians remember this and start representing the views of what seems to be the majority...
Old 15 October 2006, 01:18 PM
gatty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz

Its about time the politicians remember this and start representing the views of what seems to be the majority...

here here spot on except theres 2 million in brum alone
Old 15 October 2006, 01:29 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

i dint realise running with a rucksack was an olympic sport?
Old 15 October 2006, 01:43 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
I think its far more now! That figure is based on the 2000 census I believe, and they are a very rapidly growing element of society. Very high birth rates and very high immigration rates.
Old 15 October 2006, 01:46 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

LIKE A SWARM OF LOCUSTS
Old 15 October 2006, 02:29 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

There is a silver lining to this particular cloud:

"The clash will be a huge embarrassment for Lord Coe, Culture Secretary Tessa Jowell, and London Mayor Ken Livingstone, who have been keen to ensure the Games involve all Britain's ethnic communities. "

Excellent!!!

Coupled with the usual tirade - Massoud Shadjareh, chairman of the London-based Islamic Human Rights Commission, said:

"They would not have organised this at Christmas. It is equally stupid to organise it at Ramadan.

"It shows a complete lack of awareness and sensitivity. "This is going to disadvantage the athletes and alienate the Asian communities by saying they don't matter."

Priceless!!!
Old 15 October 2006, 03:23 PM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

I think the story is bo11ox to be honest. From my limited knowledge of Ramadan my understanding is that you can choose before the start of the day whether you fast or not, you simply add another day onto the end to compensate. So for example when Muslims are travelling, it's accepted for them to skip fasting that day. Ditto if they are playing sport.

Saying you will fast that day and then failing adds something like 40 days onto to total you need to do. So basically you must fast if you say you will, but there are opt-outs if you're doing something strenuous, like playing sport.

Have the Daily Mail heard of investigative journalism ?

Editted to add...

I think the exceptions to fasting are where it would be injurous to health. So pregnant women, the sick etc are exempted. I think that it can be interpreted that running a marathon without taking on water would be injurous to health so I think there are ways round Ramadan for professional Muslim athletes. Ramadan is based on lunar cycles, so over time it can be during any time of the year. Muslims don't starve to death in the arctic if Ramadan falls in June (24 hour sunshine) because the rules get re-interpreted. Same can happen for the London Olympics. Daily Mail scare story again.

Last edited by Brit_in_Japan; 15 October 2006 at 03:33 PM.
Old 15 October 2006, 03:24 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Old 15 October 2006, 03:52 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

In recent times the Olympics have been held in countries that have summer temperatures into the high 30's penalising the competitors from mild moderate climates in distance events.

An example of it being unfair was when Paula Radcliffe couldnt cope with the heat in Greece, even though her recent form indicated she was the best marathon runner by miles, excuse the pun, but she lost unfortunately.

There will always be some group of competitors who will suffer, so its tough to those who feel its unfair and should to adapt to the situation and make the best of it.
Old 15 October 2006, 03:56 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Yeah, I never compete as it discriminates us slightly overweight and unfit blokes.

Quick Reply: Muslim anger as London Olympics clash with Ramadam