Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Republican Taxi Man

Search this Thread

Old 08 October 2006, 12:51 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Republican Taxi Man

Mrs Abdabz and I got into a taxi yesterday to take us from the Abdabz residence to our local movie emporium.
We got into the back of the navy blue vectra and greeted our overweight and slightly hairy chauffer and received the traditional grunt.
He then turned up the radio and started fiddling with the CD options and then at what I would guess was about half volume (5 1/2 out of 11), a song specially chosen for our ears started blaring out...
The song was all about the "Irish Republican Army", going on about the English being kicked back to England and naming lots of "soldiers" who I presume were residing in a prison rather than a des res on the Shankhill Road...
Now me and Mrs Abdabz are not related to the Irish in anyway and whilst I found his choice of song a tad disturbing believe that one day it will result in one hell uva beating...
Freak!
Old 08 October 2006, 12:56 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I'd take the car next time.........

Actually was in a tube once on my own when 3 Irishmen came in, pissed, and started the heavy stuff about the IRA. Quite frightening at the time. I got off pdq.

Last edited by David Lock; 08 October 2006 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08 October 2006, 01:24 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

My father is from NIreland and is Prod and my mother is a Catholic from the south. I was born in England and class myself as English. I find these songs and attitudes of those who play them fairly amusing as at one time or another it's fairly likely the person involved has worked and lived in England at one time.

Also, what language are they speaking? Not many Irish people can speak in Gaelic and 99.9% speak English as a first language.
Old 08 October 2006, 01:58 PM
mad555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
The song was all about the "Irish Republican Army", going on about the English being kicked back to England and naming lots of "soldiers" who I presume were residing in a prison rather than a des res on the Shankhill Road...
!
????
Old 08 October 2006, 02:22 PM
Dieseldog
Scooby Regular

I had a taxi ride in Prestwick, Scotchland, and the driver had a tape of Loyalist marching choons blaring out. Maybe all taxi drivers are interested in Irish politics... a bit like all lorry drivers are interested in axe murdering
Old 08 October 2006, 02:32 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

I was having a meal in a bar in Prague and there were a load of Irish rugby supporters in there drinking. They started singing republican/IRA songs, but I just kept out of it and left when i finished my meal.

Also was at work once and a cleaner and some bloke I was working with started arguing, the cleaner (a woman) started slagging him off for being on the wrong side. I couldn't understand what the hell they were saying, it was like the scene with the pikeys off ******.
Old 08 October 2006, 02:41 PM
mad555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iwan
I was having a meal in a bar in Prague and there were a load of Irish rugby supporters in there drinking. They started singing republican/IRA songs, but I just kept out of it and left when i finished my meal.

Also was at work once and a cleaner and some bloke I was working with started arguing, the cleaner (a woman) started slagging him off for being on the wrong side. I couldn't understand what the hell they were saying, it was like the scene with the pikeys off ******.

Bet you didnt have the ***** to say anything to them??
Old 08 October 2006, 03:08 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Prolly wouldn't have had any ***** left for the next time if he had
Old 08 October 2006, 03:09 PM
mad555
Scooby Regular

LOL
Old 08 October 2006, 03:24 PM
Stainy
Scooby Regular

I was on a stag-do last year in Santa-Ponsa, Mallorca. What we didn't know until we got there, is that the resort (10 miles down the road from megamuff) is mostly Irish/Scottish. Loads of Celtic shirts about.

On the whole, there were no problems but there was definately an underlying anti-english tone to the place.

We went in one bar and everyone was singing anti-english / pro IRA songs I was really pissed off. One of our group convinced us to stay and bide our time.

We didn't have to wait long before the 'turn' started asking the groups where they were from...........Where ya from!?........DONEGAL!........Where ya from?!.........GLASGOW! etc etc.

There were 10 people in our group and I was the smallest at 6'0" and 15 stone. It was our turn.

Where ya from!?........BRADFORD!

The room went strangely quiet and we got some more peaceful music
Old 08 October 2006, 03:37 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mad555
Bet you didnt have the ***** to say anything to them??
Nope, but why would I? I have no beef or support for either side, and would prefer to avoid trouble. It was just being english in a bar full of lads singing republican/IRA songs made me a little nervous.
Old 08 October 2006, 04:10 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Originally Posted by mad555
????
!!!!
Old 08 October 2006, 05:12 PM
mad555
Scooby Regular

!
IRA from shankill road???
Old 08 October 2006, 05:27 PM
Trucker Ted
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dieseldog
I had a taxi ride in Prestwick, Scotchland, and the driver had a tape of Loyalist marching choons blaring out. Maybe all taxi drivers are interested in Irish politics... a bit like all lorry drivers are interested in axe murdering
NO , we stopped murdering people ages ago,
Old 08 October 2006, 05:45 PM
mad555
Scooby Regular

"soldiers" who I presume were residing in a prison rather than a des res on the Shankhill Road...

Freak!
Affraid not old Tony bLiar thought it would be good for the peace process over here and let them all out of prison in line with the Good Friday Agreement.What a guy!!