Caring for Cats

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2006, 05:27 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caring for Cats

Hi All,

I've just got my first house a few months back and would like a cat to keep me company as i live on my own. I think I'm gonna go up to the cat shelter tomorrow and look at cats about 1 year old.

Sometimes I am away overnight, I have a friend who lives round the corner who could come and feed/stroke it, but a mate from work suggested getting an automatic cat food dispenser? anyone used one?

I am away from 8am > 5pm daily and am looking to get a cat flap so it can get in and out, would it be ok on it's own for this length of time?

Thanks
Andy
Old 06 October 2006, 05:35 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

You should know by now that this is not a cat friendly board.... so wait for the abuse.

yes the cat will be fine on its own for that time. and you could keep a cat tray inside which is a bit friendlier if you have neighbours.

Oh and if it has any particular religious beliefs just keep stum.
Old 06 October 2006, 05:41 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

You will need to keep the cat indoors for a few days so it gets use to its new home (and doesn't leg it the second you open the door).

And yes a litter tray will be needed.... but remember they feckin stink, so change it regularly!

Also work out the ongoing costs for worming and any jabs it may need, insurance is also a good idea.

Remember that if you go away someone will need to come round and feed it for you, or you will need to put it in a cattery.

It will also moult and claw the **** out of your furniture, and probably puke everywhere (furballs etc.).

So to be fair......... DONT BOTHER... get an XBOX360 instead
Old 06 October 2006, 05:41 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
and you could keep a cat tray inside which is a bit friendlier if you have neighbours.
A cat owner who gives a damn about their neighbours?! Another way of putting that is its going to be a house cat...
Old 06 October 2006, 06:05 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

Yeah i've been on the websites and read some of the rehoming policies, i live on a cul-de-sac which is very quiet and have a decent sized garden which are necessary apparently. My family have always had cats so i'm fine with caring for them, just that my mum's always at home, whereas I wouldn't be here in the daytime.
Old 06 October 2006, 07:07 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

I've got two cats, which is great as they keep each other company. We also work all day, so I leave the utility window open for them to come and go. They are a doddle to look after, just keep the litter tray clean, fresh food in their bowls and regular injections, worming and de fleaing
Oh and I have mine insured, just incase for vet's bills etc.
Piece of cake And they are fantastic pets, very loving
Old 06 October 2006, 07:20 PM
Butkus
Scooby Regular

Do you really want one? I was thinking about this the other day, as a friend has just got one. As the cat could potentially live to be 20 years old, my friend is committed to that cat until she is 47 - a lot can change between the ages of 27 and 47. You have to think of what to do with it if you go away etc etc.

Unless you're completely settled down I'd give it a miss and go for the Xbox like someone else suggested!
Old 06 October 2006, 07:26 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 84of300
I've got two cats, which is great as they keep each other company. We also work all day, so I leave the utility window open for them to come and go. They are a doddle to look after, just keep the litter tray clean, fresh food in their bowls and regular injections, worming and de fleaing
Oh and I have mine insured, just incase for vet's bills etc.
Piece of cake And they are fantastic pets, very loving
And some water

Not sure about the very loving - fantastic con artists though
Old 06 October 2006, 07:30 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

And some water

Ooops, poor things would be parched
Old 06 October 2006, 07:41 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Smile

And some water

The vast majority of cats won't drink water from a bowl, unless it's the toilet

My two are quite happy to sort themselves out during the day whilst MrsD & I are at work. In fact the only times we ever see the younger one upright are at the morning & night time feeds, when he thinks we need reminding, otherwise he's quite happy to sleep in whichever part of the house is warmest. The older one's nearly always outside, hunting and stuff, unless it's raining, then she's right in our faces after attention

As far as a catflap goes, we've got one, but if we're in, they'll both pester you to let them out of the door, because if there's one thing all cats are very good at, it's getting suckers like us pandering to their every need
Old 06 October 2006, 09:06 PM
Barmyclown
Scooby Regular

Ours will only drink out of glass, or any muddy puddle or depression if it`s outside.

If your going to let it out into the wilds, getting a loud bell would be a good idea. Most of the complaints I hear about cats are about the devestation to the local wildlife. We have the best of both worlds in our garden playful cat, and birds using it aswell. They have learnt the cat cannot sneak up on them. Can be a pain at first, because all you hear is the bell as they wander around , but you soon blank it out. You will also need an xbox, because a cat`s normal position while indoors is horizontal with their eyes shut.

Jase
Old 06 October 2006, 09:09 PM
falkster
Scooby Regular

We were also thinking about getting a couple of cats but after seeing what our neighbours cats have done to their wall paper, carpets and curtains we decided not to bother.

Also, no matter what you do the house will always smell!! My friends are very clean and empty the litter tray daily but the house still smells like ****.
Old 06 October 2006, 09:13 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CooperS
Hi All,

I've just got my first house a few months back and would like a cat to keep me company as i live on my own. I think I'm gonna go up to the cat shelter tomorrow and look at cats about 1 year old.

Sometimes I am away overnight, I have a friend who lives round the corner who could come and feed/stroke it, but a mate from work suggested getting an automatic cat food dispenser? anyone used one?

I am away from 8am > 5pm daily and am looking to get a cat flap so it can get in and out, would it be ok on it's own for this length of time?

Thanks
Andy

No, dont get a cat unless you are gay or female, as people will assume you are either. Get a bird instead, i.e. a female human, you cant f*ck a cat (legally) or safely.

Ask J4ckos mate.....
Old 06 October 2006, 09:14 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
No, dont get a cat unless you are gay or female, as people will assume you are either. Get a bird instead, i.e. a female human, you cant f*ck a cat (legally) or safely.

Ask J4ckos mate.....
I like the *****, so I can't be gay...

can i?
Old 07 October 2006, 11:46 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I have been cat friendly all my life. He should be fine with a catflap and you only have to leave some food out for him to eat if he wants to during the day.

Our 20 year old black British Short manages very well during the day. They usually sleep in the daylight anyway. He is as fit as a butcher's dog

Les
Old 07 October 2006, 05:11 PM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

Cat are great pets but I'd definitely get two and Id get them at the same time so you know they get on....

A cat will develop its charactor at a very young age - the ones I've had since they were kittens are very affectionate and playful whereas the one I got when she was a year old wasn't used to affection and play and she never really came round to the idea (RIP)
Old 07 October 2006, 05:15 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Yeah deffo get a couple.
I have two who I have just fed. I'm off out on a 13hr night shift in a bit and they regularly get left alone for that or 11hr day shifts and they are still alive and well.
Only problem is they won't leave me alone when I get home then.
Old 07 October 2006, 05:23 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by brumdaisy

when she was a year old wasn't used to affection and play and she never really came round to the idea (RIP) (
So you did her in?
Old 07 October 2006, 05:31 PM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

So you did her in?
Old 07 October 2006, 07:42 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

Well I went and got some ***** from the cat shelter.

1 year old black and white female, did a crap in the cat carrier on my way home in the car, could hardly see where i was going through the tears, my dash started to melt :-o got it all over herself too so first job was to give her a clean!

She's a beauty, very very affectionate and playful. perfect cat!
Old 07 October 2006, 07:52 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Excellent. Happy cat ownership
Old 07 October 2006, 07:58 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...1/DSC00290.jpg

pic of the little furball, just aint got a clue what to call her though, she's been called "kitty" by the ccat shelter, which I think is crap!
Old 07 October 2006, 08:08 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

awwww, she's gorgeous
Think you've already said a good name, furball
Old 07 October 2006, 08:44 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CooperS
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...1/DSC00290.jpg

pic of the little furball, just aint got a clue what to call her though, she's been called "kitty" by the ccat shelter, which I think is crap!
Best call her 'pump', by the sound of things...
Old 07 October 2006, 10:10 PM
Robin Mullan
Scooby Regular

Location: Aylesbury. Type-R V4, 2.2l 415BHP, 400LBS. Feels good!!! Now i really want more !!!

I really like *****'s, they love being stroked.
Old 07 October 2006, 10:29 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Your better off getting two, to keep each other company.

I can recommend oriental cats, like burmese, siamese etc...

You'll need to 'do' the litter tray at the very least twice a week, and they're fine as house cats. Plus they tend to come home to 'poop' which saves upsetting the neighbours, as you will only let them out whilst you're in the house - so mainly house cats.
Old 07 October 2006, 10:31 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by DrEvil
Your better off getting two, to keep each other company.

I can recommend oriental cats, like burmese, siamese etc...

You'll need to 'do' the litter tray at the very least twice a week, and they're fine as house cats. Plus they tend to come home to 'poop' which saves upsetting the neighbours, as you will only let them out whilst you're in the house - so mainly house cats.
I agree
I have a Blue Point Siamese and an Oriental Shaded Tabby, fabulous cats, bags of character and full of love

Quick Reply: Caring for Cats