Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 2001, 12:24 AM
DavidHill
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm hoping someone can help me. One of out workstations failed to load up into windows yesterday, after starting it through safe mode to check where the problem was, i removed the network card from the system properties and it then booted up ok. Now i can't seem to get the workstation to register on the network, i have reinstalled the drivers, but still no joy. Card does appear in the system properties with no conflicts. (Card type is a SMC EZ 10 PCI 1208?)

Any help/ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
David
Old 18 November 2001, 12:36 AM
Silent Monkey
Scooby Regular

Do you have the required protocols loade?
If using TCP/IP do you have an IP address set or if using DHCP are you getting one allocated?
Can you ping the system?
Can you access the system by using UNC of system in the run box?
Old 18 November 2001, 08:24 AM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

I'm not a technical expert but we used to sell a lot of SMC card when they became the cheapest on the market. They did not have a very good reliability record and we found that many of the drivers on their web site were out of date.

If you replace it with another cheap card the Bay Networks / Neatgear stuff is very reliable and good value.

AllanB
Old 18 November 2001, 11:44 AM
michael_clarkson
Scooby Regular

David,

You don't say what version of windows your using, but I've had problems with a similar SMC PCI card and Windows 98SE.

Try booting into safe mode and removing the card from the device manager (start->settings->control panel->system.

If you have a spare PCI slot, relocate the NIC to a different slot.

Enter you PC's BIOS and find the plug-and-play section, you should see a setting for ESCD set this to clear on next reboot.

Reboot, and windows should find, the device, and ask you to install drivers.

--Michael
Old 18 November 2001, 12:24 PM
DavidHill
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice guys. To give you some more info, the system was running under win95 but i upgraded it to win98 (our company has an annoying habit of not keeping any software/driver discs which doesnt help). Is there anyway of telling whether the card is working or not? its showing under the system properties as working, but how acurate this is, i dont know. Thinking it may be easier to buy a new card, with all the correct drivers. Anything i should be aware of when buying a repacement?

Thanks again,
David
Old 18 November 2001, 02:47 PM
father_jack
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a duff driver installation
Are you using TCP/IP?
If so run a dos prompt.
ping 127.0.0.1 will tell you if IP is installed correctly.
I could go on but need more info.
As said before - remove the card and (all drivers) reboot and then shut it down - put the card back in and plug n play should detect it.
Alternative is buy a decent brand of network card rather than p1ssing about all day..... the Bay Networks ones I use are £15.