Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Moving electricity meter ........

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 2006, 07:57 AM
Bakerman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving electricity meter ........

OK, how do I do it and get it done for a domestic house ?
Currently the meter is inside and the missus wants it moved outside - speak to my supplier or is there somebody more generic to talk to ?

Thanks
Old 22 September 2006, 08:30 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Speak to your supplier initially. They will send out the forms for Central Networks or similar to actually do the work. We looked at doing the same thing a few months back, move the meter from the inside wall to the outside wall, no other movement. A quote of £2800 came back and that's without the fitting of the meter box, we'd have to do that ourselves first. There is also a whole load of regs around where a meter box can be fitted, it has to be embeded in a wall - they don't do ground boxes anymore, although Gas do. It can't be within so many meters of a door or window or be below a window. It's a grade A PITA.
Old 22 September 2006, 09:55 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Unhappy

OK, here's what USED to happen:

You contact your supplier. He quotes you, (when I did it, it was £200, so some time ago).

YOU go and get the box. YOU cut a hole in the wall, and mount the box.
An electrician comes and runs new tails from yor distribution board, (fusebox), to the new meter position, including them in a galvanised steel conduit, and fitting a new earth, as well as earthing the new conduit. He also disconnects the old meter. ( I did all this on mine).

You supplier, or their contractor, now comes and digs up the cable supplying your home, leading it into the new meter installation, proabbly via all new equipment including a new meter.

Either you, or your electrician now removes the old, disconnected meter., which your supplier probably takes away.

As stated, it's a PITA, and will now be VERY expensive.

Dunno if it helps, but in France, a device is available that shows your meter count from OUTSIDE the property, hardly any wiring, just a new meter, (which THEY pay for), and the device to pay for.

Much less raving about. Ask if it's available in the UK.

Alcazar
Old 22 September 2006, 10:07 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar

You contact your supplier. He quotes you, (when I did it, it was £200, so some time ago).

An electrician comes and runs new tails from yor distribution board, (fusebox), to the new meter position, including them in a galvanised steel conduit, and fitting a new earth, as well as earthing the new conduit. He also disconnects the old meter. ( I did all this on mine).

You supplier, or their contractor, now comes and digs up the cable supplying your home, leading it into the new meter installation, proabbly via all new equipment including a new meter.

Either you, or your electrician now removes the old, disconnected meter., which your supplier probably takes away.

Dunno if it helps, but in France, a device is available that shows your meter count from OUTSIDE the property, hardly any wiring, just a new meter, (which THEY pay for), and the device to pay for.

Alcazar
There are radio meters out there where the van just drives down the street and gets the readings automatically. However, powergen don't do them in my area
Old 22 September 2006, 10:08 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar

Alcazar
It's worth mentioning that the supplier will NOT do the work on the main cable, but they will do the meter. The same thing shappens with gas and so you end up being without power / gas while you wait for the meter fitting guy to turn up.