Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dentists

Search this Thread

Old 18 September 2006, 03:21 PM
B9GLY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dentists

Just been and they have changed the costs! There are now just 3 bands that your treatment fit into, band 1 £12 band 2 £42.50 band 3 £199.

I had a checkup and 2 x rays and a filling and that was band 2, jesus, dont want to get abill for 199!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 18 September 2006, 04:30 PM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by B9GLY
Just been and they have changed the costs! There are now just 3 bands that your treatment fit into, band 1 £12 band 2 £42.50 band 3 £199.

I had a checkup and 2 x rays and a filling and that was band 2, jesus, dont want to get abill for 199!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
be grateful you can get an NHS dentist I just forked out £70 for one filling
Old 18 September 2006, 04:41 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

I just had a check up, clean and x-rays for £40 private so yours with a filling aint bad at all!

Simon
Old 18 September 2006, 05:05 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Band 3 is for anything involving laboratory work...crowns, bridges and dentures etc. and its £189

This is the max fee payable and has come down from £350 odd quid, the problem is they will recoup the money from the vast majority of people who pay £42.50 as the "norm".

No new money just a different way of slicing up the same cake !!

Midlife.....
Old 18 September 2006, 06:10 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Indeed, most Dentists will make sure all their patients need a filling and X-Rays to get that £42:50 ............. NOTHING to do with clinical need, ALL to do with lining of pockets!!

However, the £189 cap is excellent for patients .... try and get everything done at one time - crowns, fillings, caps, X-Rays ..... all for £189!!

Another winner from labour

Pete
Old 18 September 2006, 08:36 PM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Indeed, most Dentists will make sure all their patients need a filling and X-Rays to get that £42:50 ............. NOTHING to do with clinical need, ALL to do with lining of pockets!!

However, the £189 cap is excellent for patients .... try and get everything done at one time - crowns, fillings, caps, X-Rays ..... all for £189!!

Another winner from labour

Pete
not quite....

a job that two years ago I could have got done on the NHS for around £300 all of a sudden doesnt qualify, I have to go private if I want it done, even though there is a proven medical need

labour sucks
Old 18 September 2006, 08:56 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

I had a new denture made last december. cost £100, ive now been told i need another one as the old one has worn, cost £189. nice to know we can be fleeced again

and there now trying to baulk at having a metal replacement (as i have now) and thats an NHS item too !

So i now have to have a complete set, which may not be suitable and will cost them a small fortune in repairs (been here before remember).

still its nice to know our current leaders can screw up the system they invented efficiently

Mart
Old 18 September 2006, 09:07 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

PSLewis gets it all wrong again !!

The money the patients pay does not go to the dentist, the dentist is paid an allowance (salary) by the NHS to treat patients. If he decides to place a crown then the cost to have it made comes directly out of his pay packet...consequently not as many crowns being done on the NHS.

Government policy used to skew treatment choice !!

The number of treatments (Called UDA's ...Units of Dental Time) is also fixed, if they are all used up then no more NHS treatment.

Finaly the amount of UDA's (and pay the dentist eventually gets) is determined by the treatment choice. Broken front tooth :- then it's either a time consuming root canal treatment and crown (worth 12 UDA's) or a cheap and cheerful extraction and front tooth on a plate (also worth 12 UDA's)......so what treatment do you get....the cheapest!

Can't be arsed to look after your teeth and go as an emergency...then you can have your exam, x-rays, extraction and a couple of fillings for £15.50..not the £42.50. What do you do then? just go when something hurts and the NHS turns into a basic emergency service which eventually becomes very cheap to run.

Whats good about that then Pete ????

Midlife.....

PS one final nail in the coffin, which government introduced dental and prescription charges?? Labour or Tory ??
Old 18 September 2006, 09:13 PM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

my top tip - go to Turkey

1200 quids worth of work here = 500 quid over there, add your flight and hotel and lots of beers (and diving) and you're still quids in. I've already been for my first check up. Surgery was absolutely spotless and state of the art.
Old 18 September 2006, 09:33 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PSL just sends his in for a refit !
Old 18 September 2006, 10:05 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

So, explain how a mate of mine, who was mugged on holiday and her front 2 teeth smashed out, amongst other things, was charged £2500?
Old 18 September 2006, 11:01 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

It wasn't done as NHS treatment.
Old 18 September 2006, 11:39 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Brumdaisy..... there have been no changes to what is "available" on the NHS, only what dentists are willing to "provide".....

Pete.......... Come on then, who brought in NHS Charges for Dentistry and Prescriptions which used to be absolutely free?? It's a simple question, Labour or Tory ??

Just to give the readers a clue..........it was introduced as a job creation scheme as the party in power at the time was commited to "full employment" (they do admit this) .

Midlife.....
Old 19 September 2006, 12:04 AM
ali66
Scooby Regular

Been to a new dentist today, new patient appointment, x-rays, dental heath score and treatment plan... £68 but free wine...
Old 20 September 2006, 12:14 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

We've just moved, so had to find a new dentist and doctors. Booked the family in and ok, Erin received a quick check and feel and was free, but then she's only 15 months. But both other half and I received x-rays, check-up and general other gubbins to start our notes for £45 each.
Old 20 September 2006, 01:51 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ali66
Been to a new dentist today, new patient appointment, x-rays, dental heath score and treatment plan... £68 but free wine...
I think you'll find it's spelled "whine"
Old 20 September 2006, 02:22 PM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
Brumdaisy..... there have been no changes to what is "available" on the NHS, only what dentists are willing to "provide".....

Pete.......... Come on then, who brought in NHS Charges for Dentistry and Prescriptions which used to be absolutely free?? It's a simple question, Labour or Tory ??

Just to give the readers a clue..........it was introduced as a job creation scheme as the party in power at the time was commited to "full employment" (they do admit this) .

Midlife.....
the difference in practical terms being?
Old 20 September 2006, 05:04 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Brumdaisy...Dentists don't want to provide expensive treatment as the costs come out of their salary.
Old 20 September 2006, 05:19 PM
B9GLY
Scooby Regular

anyone know exactly what fits into each price bracket then????
Old 20 September 2006, 05:24 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by brumdaisy
be grateful you can get an NHS dentist I just forked out £70 for one filling
Mine cost £60 today.

My mother said I should be a dentist but I didn't listen
Old 20 September 2006, 05:37 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Staring into people's grotty mouths all day , I think they deserve all they get.
Old 12 February 2007, 05:00 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs down

My dentist recently went private, so after paying for an inital consultation.a check up and a clean it cost 70 quid Got to have me wisdom teeth out soon so might consider a bottle of jd and some pliers instead
Old 12 February 2007, 05:09 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

a few months ago i went to the dentist for a check up he told me i needed 2 fillings so asked if i could be sedated because i have a fear of the equipment so he sends me to a different dentist and he told me that the other dentist had told him that i needed 6 fillings i told him to get on his bike there was no way i was going to pay for all them fillings and the other dentist told me that at the most i needed 3 just shows that they are after more money.

for 1 veneer its £270 quid! i was at a different dentist a while ago i had a scale and polish that cost me £125 in total with some antibiotics for a absess!!!
Old 12 February 2007, 05:14 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My dentist has a 911 and his partner a ferrari parked outside they sure no how to rub it in On the plus side I got a free tothbrush.
Old 12 February 2007, 06:14 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Don't worry, you won't be able to get a british dentist soon. Their either all turning private or retiring.

The new rules are daft and basically they are on a points system scale and polish = so many points. Once all points are gained, then anything else from the dentist point of view, their working for free (not going to happen).

Dad knows people who have downed tools till the new financial year starts cos the local authority's budget won't pay them for any work done between now and then (out of money), others are just taking private work.
Old 12 February 2007, 06:33 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

No wonder the Yanks think we have bad dental hygiene!

Anyway, I have already started seeing the decline of our nation's teeth. I work with people who are on low or non-existent incomes and they have terrible teeth! It's really quite disgusting - wouldn't they get it free anyway if they're on benefits?
Old 12 February 2007, 08:45 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

£189 is not a cap!!!!!

i paid £250 back in November for my dental work..

if i wanted all plastic bridgework, it would have been £99 for one plate..

£189 for 2 plates.

As i had a stainless steel bridge, it classed as private, so i had to fork out the differance ontop !!!

yet the last time i had it done, it was all part of the price...

(could it be to do with who was looking after the nhs back then??)

Mart

Old 12 February 2007, 09:16 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

im going to bulgaria from now on for my dental work its half price there and a better service. if i need emergency dental work i would have to have it done here but otherwise im going there for it
Old 13 February 2007, 07:51 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

il be honest, ive not been to a dentist since i was 15 in 1999. not been a member of a dentist nhs or private either for most that period. im lucky i guess as when i was about 6 my mum was forever getting me to brush twice a day etc, and i had a removable brace for nearly 2 years.

il admit i think ive got some of the strongest knashers around, im always chewing beer bottle tops etc.

still brushing at least once a day too, but now some are chipped from my tounge piercing, still no pain though. only a little sensitive on ice-cream/ice cold water etc...

least i dont have dog breath like the mrs lol

Quick Reply: Dentists