Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Getting ball games banned in your street?

Search this Thread

Old 01 September 2006, 12:17 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Getting ball games banned in your street?

I may sound like an old grouch (and may be I am) - but I'm getting sick of the damage caused by rogue footballs flying into front garden or worse still, car.

I wouldn't mind if the kids in question gave a damn about other peoples property, but they dont... And considering there is a massive field near by with football nets - why the hell can't they go there.

Simple question - has anyone got their local council to put a stop to it (signs etc..)? Or is this sort of thing a lost cause?

Hopefully it will improve when a new play area opens up (basket ball/football court).

(flame suit on)
Old 01 September 2006, 12:21 AM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

outside our houses we've got a nice grassy area with flowers un stuff. There's a sign on a post that used to be upright, saying no car parking.... I wish my camera was working but lets just say if the adults cant stick to the rules how can we expect kids to?
Old 01 September 2006, 12:37 AM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

i bet you have one big a$$ knife for fetttling there ***** with.....

not meant in any sexual way shape or form before the idiots decend on this
Old 01 September 2006, 07:46 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DrEvil
I may sound like an old grouch (and may be I am) - but I'm getting sick of the damage caused by rogue footballs flying into front garden or worse still, car.

I wouldn't mind if the kids in question gave a damn about other peoples property, but they dont... And considering there is a massive field near by with football nets - why the hell can't they go there.

Simple question - has anyone got their local council to put a stop to it (signs etc..)? Or is this sort of thing a lost cause?

Hopefully it will improve when a new play area opens up (basket ball/football court).

(flame suit on)
There are signs up on a grassy patch down the road, nobody seems interested in ahering to them or enforcing.
Old 01 September 2006, 07:51 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

My old street was like that, the pikey scumbag parents used to sit outside smoking and drinking cans of beer while their vermin kids would play football across everyones lawns and flowerbeds - every day. I eventually gave up and grassed over my rose borders, then eventually moved when I grew weary of my living room window being used as a goal.
Old 01 September 2006, 07:56 AM
sociopath
BANNED

Originally Posted by Iwan
My old street was like that, the pikey scumbag parents used to sit outside smoking and drinking cans of beer while their vermin kids would play football across everyones lawns and flowerbeds - every day. I eventually gave up and grassed over my rose borders, then eventually moved when I grew weary of my living room window being used as a goal.
What a loser. Driven from your own home by a bunch of kids.
Old 01 September 2006, 08:14 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I wonder how many of those complaining used to play football in the streets as kids? I wonder how many of them will respond "yeah, but I had respect for others' property"?

Kids are kids, let them have their fun. You spend long enough as an adult worrying about social issues without forcing kids to think the same way at an early age.

Trending Topics

Old 01 September 2006, 08:24 AM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

Easy to say when it's not your investment having footballs launched at it.

When I used to stay with my missus in Basingstoke the local pikey kids were always playing football outside the house when there were playing fields less than a minutes walk away.

I came out several times and found fresh scuffs and dents from footballs, little stnuc.

I think when we were kids there were less cars and possibly a lot more ****boxes on the road where dents and scratches didn't really matter.
Old 01 September 2006, 08:29 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by G00ner
Easy to say when it's not your investment having footballs launched at it.

When I used to stay with my missus in Basingstoke the local pikey kids were always playing football outside the house when there were playing fields less than a minutes walk away.

I came out several times and found fresh scuffs and dents from footballs, little stnuc.

I think when we were kids there were less cars and possibly a lot more ****boxes on the road where dents and scratches didn't really matter.
I've found plenty of football marks on my car in the past and expect to find plenty more. They rub off easily (unless they play with metal footballs in your area). Car park dents bother me a million times more as they're usually done by adults who should know better.

Your statement about "when we were kids" backs me up 100%. To you those cars weren't valuable, but I bet they were to the owner.
Old 01 September 2006, 08:34 AM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

We had a similar problem near to my house. Further down our road we have a community centre and an old peoples bungalow complex.
Of course the kids and youths are drawn to the open area, we've had broken windows in the community centre from footballing and the elderly residents have had to put up with noise and disturbance on a regular basis.
We went down all the routes of ringing the police and the council but little got done. We had some response and some signs put up through our local councillors but the older youths ignore signs.
Finally we managed to get enough people together and formed a residents association, we get funding through the local authority and we now have a voice. Things have really improved for the elderly residents, we have community police who check on the area and have just obtained funding for CCTV on the Community Centre.
The residents association has been great, individuals are afraid to speak out but get everone together and you can stop the odd few from spoiling a nice area.

Cheers
Lee

Last edited by logiclee; 01 September 2006 at 08:38 AM.
Old 01 September 2006, 08:43 AM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

TBH were I lived there was hardly any traffic = so fewer cars parked, no multiple occupancy houses = so again fewer cars and definately no such thing as a new car being parked near us, it was all old Allegro's, Mini's, a newish car in the street would have got a lot more respect.

If I had dented my neighbours car then I would have got a good walloping from the neighbour and my parents.

When I visit that area now there are cars all down both sides of the road, you'd never get a parking spot outside your house there now.

As kids I can remember hand painting my mums Viva in the street.
Old 01 September 2006, 09:10 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by logiclee
and the elderly residents have had to put up with noise and disturbance on a regular basis.
Not allowed to make any noise now? doing it around the elderly is probably best in fact.... theyre 90% deaf anyway. Ohh and I would have thought the elders would probably enjoy watching youth playing football and enjoying themselves, would probably bring nice memories back for them.... Instead people nick the football of the youth leave them with nothing to do so end up drinking on street corners and then you have something worse to moan about.... People like old whinging farts (thread starter) are the ones who push the youth of today to bringing down society.
Old 01 September 2006, 09:18 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 01 September 2006, 10:00 AM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
Not allowed to make any noise now? doing it around the elderly is probably best in fact.... theyre 90% deaf anyway. Ohh and I would have thought the elders would probably enjoy watching youth playing football and enjoying themselves, would probably bring nice memories back for them.... Instead people nick the football of the youth leave them with nothing to do so end up drinking on street corners and then you have something worse to moan about.... People like old whinging farts (thread starter) are the ones who push the youth of today to bringing down society.
That's OK if we were talking young kids enjoying a kick about. When we start talking of youths in large groups you do start to get the drinking, graffiti, swearing, screaming as well as the football damage and they dont go to bed at 9pm either.
It got to the stage where the old folk were too frightened to come out of their homes while the youths were about and the noise continued to 11-12pm. The few that had confronted them had cars scratched etc.
There is around 600 house in our "Group" area and probably around 20 that cause problems.
You shouldn't let the few spoil it for the many.

Cheers
Lee
Old 01 September 2006, 10:02 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

ahhh you see, if you had a point to make about the youths you should have said that in the first place.... Instead your original post sounded like we were just talking about a small group of kids playing football and making a bit of noise....
Old 01 September 2006, 11:28 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
I wonder how many of those complaining used to play football in the streets as kids? I wonder how many of them will respond "yeah, but I had respect for others' property"?

Kids are kids, let them have their fun. You spend long enough as an adult worrying about social issues without forcing kids to think the same way at an early age.
Whilst I understand that isn't possible in all areas - the estate I live on is surrounded by a common, and a massive playing field.

As for letting kids have their fun - they can go do it outside their own houses or in the park.
Old 01 September 2006, 11:33 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sociopath
What a loser. Driven from your own home by a bunch of kids.
I wouldn't say I was driven from my home, I did have other reasons for moving to where I am now as well. Nicer area, more convenient for work etc, but getting shot of a bunch of pikey scumbag neighbours like you, sorry like them, was a bonus.
Old 01 September 2006, 12:23 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get peed off with this, however, nowdays its usually my kids playing football, however I do keep an eye on them, have put up with others kids at it so the neighbours can put up with mine, I am meaning to have a word with the family 2 doors down who speed past them at 40 mph (cul de sac), the son went off in a Accord the other night with the wheels spinning the daft ****.

The bloke over the road had to stop because my daft kids had finished playing and left a bike there so he couldnt get his car through, I watched him (getting changed so I could go out to move them)sit there for about 2 minutes on the horn and then stomped out of his car and threw the nets over (I could have got past but his is an extra wide Pug 206) he then got the little lads bike and launched it as hard as he could and it came crashing down on the pavement, thanks very much you ****, thats the last time I spend f*cking hours pissing about with your virus riddled pcs and half arsed attempts at setting up a network if thats the consideration we get.

Guy over the road was never bothered about his car when the kids played ball, I got pissed off due to the huge scratch caasey prints and the fact the kids got the ball stuck in the tree and removed it with progressively larger bits of stone which landed on my Audi below causing about 10 small dents and one smashed rear screen that they all denied doing, bloke over the road now has a new ST and seems really concerned about ball games for some reason, didnt seem interested when I had the ball bouncing off mine !
Old 01 September 2006, 12:46 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline

LOL - the scowl is about right, just not that old!
Old 01 September 2006, 03:41 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

we used to play football as kids and smack the ball off "franks tank" which was a bargey old silver volvo

never used to cause any damage no matter how hard we kicked it
Old 01 September 2006, 05:16 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
we used to play football as kids and smack the ball off "franks tank" which was a bargey old silver volvo

never used to cause any damage no matter how hard we kicked it
LOL - some times I wish my car didn't have ally panels.
Old 01 September 2006, 05:24 PM
shooter007
Scooby Regular

didnt have same amount of cars parked when i was a kid but still brought up to respect other peoples property god help us if mr angry knocked on door and ***** used on roads do pick up grit your lucky if you can polish it out had my06 since april damaged three times already and managed to polish out one mark sorry for rant but some of us do get het up by this sort of thing
Old 01 September 2006, 05:29 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

comma, do, cracking, engine, oils
Old 01 September 2006, 05:33 PM
shooter007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
comma, do, cracking, engine, oils
err yes
Old 01 September 2006, 06:12 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

When i was younger me and my mates used to play football in the library car park as there was F**k all else places, we all grew up there for years and everyone knew each other in the estste.
One day a new family moved in and started harassing all of us about playing football near there flat(no damage was ever done)police never said a word before and even used to chat to us there.
His problem was we were to loud and he could hear us in his living room.
He eventually caused all sorts of crap and even tried to get our ball from us,he was chasing my mate(who had the ball) my mate in a blind panic kicked it away, it promptly smacked his missus square in the chops and she went down like ten men. Time then stood still for a moment where he then started knocking ten bells out of my mate(we were all about 12-13) we all then ended up trying to rescue him,we got him away but was quite badly punched.
Once the parents found out it was mental, about 20 parents decended on his flat and he got a right doing, 2 months later he moved away and all was good.

That was when you had a community spirit and i know the guy prob never meant to batter our mate.

Not something i am proud of seeing but kids are kids and maybe a wee word with them or parents first could solve a problem.

Mac
Old 01 September 2006, 06:35 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by bluenosewrx
in a blind panic kicked it away, it promptly smacked his missus square in the chops and she went down like ten men. Time then stood still for a moment
Superb know exactly what your saying about communitys pulling together etc though
Old 05 June 2010, 02:44 AM
hadenuff
Scooby Newbie

Unhappy sorry to bring up the issue of ball games again

I live in a cul de sac consisting of 8 houses and a shop, my neighbours son aged 10 plays in the street constantly with his football using my fence and gate as his goalposts. My garden is 8ft wide if that and the ball is constantly kicked into my garden. Last week it was kicked off my window (a leather mitre) and i asked him to move up and play at his own fence. He took offence to my request and went to complain to his mother, who reply was he could play in the street till 10pm. At this point i told the mother that the ball was now not only in my garden at least 10 times a night it was now being hit off my windows and this was the reason i had asked him to play at his own fence.

The mother then went into a rant that he could play wherever he wanted and then proceeded to throw a cup of tea over me when i continued to tell her i was fine about the football just at his own gate. She then grabbed me by the hair and proceeded to smash the cup over my head. The upshot to this post is that we are both being charged with breach of the peace.

By no means am i a grumpy old git as i have 3 teenagers of my own who have never been allowed to play in the street with *****.

The best part to this is they have a large enclosed back garden but he is not allowed to play with the ball their as he kicks it into the neighbours on the other side and damages her flowers.

There is a small field of grassland 20 metres from our houses which can be seen by both our houses.

The problems ***** cause in residential areas far outweigh the enjoyment the kids must get if this is the trouble it causes. what a mad crazy world we live in.

Once again i am sorry to raise this old cherry but i am still flabbergasted by these events and felt i had to share
Old 05 June 2010, 03:02 AM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

I`ve never seen any kids playing football where I live! They`re too busy, cooped up in their bedrooms on their X stations
Old 05 June 2010, 09:55 AM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

We are surrounded by fields and a couple of park areas, but even sometimes a few of the older kids have a little kick around while waiting for mates to come and meet them, they never cause any trouble and if the ball starts getting a little out of control a quite chat to them normally calms it down.

I remember playing footy in the street as a kid, many years ago and it does no real harm providing the kids playing respect it when people as them to either move on or calm it down, ***** generall do no damage to cars unless you are unlucky.
Old 05 June 2010, 10:15 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Quick Reply: Getting ball games banned in your street?