Default House price crash starting in America

House price crash starting in America:
http://www.realestatejournal.com/buy...5-nutting.html

We'll be next
Old 30 August 2006, 10:28 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not overly worried about house prices dropping over here, the mortgage accounts for less than 50% of the house's current value so I'm not in much danger of negative equity. I want house prices to drop in France and then I can buy a nice little holiday / retirement place over there!

Council Tax and fuel / electricity bills are what's getting my goat, just had to put the gas & electric DD up to £60 per month.
Old 30 August 2006, 10:35 AM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

I have around 40% equity in my house, I only bought it last year. It was pretty obvious when I moved to the US that the housing market was very quiet. Most houses were on the market for at least six months. And in Houston there are lot's of ex-pats who have to sell up when they're leaving.

The other issue is that there is SO much land, and the land is SO cheap, that new houses spring up pretty much anywhere and the prices are very cheap.

I am going to "Europeanise" my home in an effort to add value to it and make it stand out from the crowd.......
Old 30 August 2006, 10:38 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/arti...GE-LENDING.xml
Old 30 August 2006, 11:23 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Just been reading about this.

More here:

http://www.in2perspective.com/nr/200...-freefall-.jsp

"A bursting of the property bubble poses equally serious risks for America's key trading partners and for the rest of an increasingly integrated global economy," he added.

Won't affect us though. Tony and Gordo will make sure of that
Old 30 August 2006, 11:30 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by unclebuck
Thank goodness for that - I was worried for a minute!

Trending Topics

Old 30 August 2006, 11:43 AM
jonnyh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck
Just been reading about this.

More here:

http://www.in2perspective.com/nr/200...-freefall-.jsp

"A bursting of the property bubble poses equally serious risks for America's key trading partners and for the rest of an increasingly integrated global economy," he added.

They are. They have just let 500,00 into the country in a couple of years, they all have to live somewhere.
Old 30 August 2006, 11:45 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 2000TLondon
I have around 40% equity in my house, I only bought it last year. It was pretty obvious when I moved to the US that the housing market was very quiet. Most houses were on the market for at least six months. And in Houston there are lot's of ex-pats who have to sell up when they're leaving.

The other issue is that there is SO much land, and the land is SO cheap, that new houses spring up pretty much anywhere and the prices are very cheap.

I am going to "Europeanise" my home in an effort to add value to it and make it stand out from the crowd.......

Agreed - i really cant see house prices dropping in Texas for a while - they're cheap enough anyway. maybe the north east i.e. new jersey, pennsylvania and maybe some property in Cal on the west coast but noty in the south and mid west.

Like i said dirt cheap as it is
Old 30 August 2006, 11:48 AM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Chief
Agreed - i really cant see house prices dropping in Texas for a while - they're cheap enough anyway. maybe the north east i.e. new jersey, pennsylvania and maybe some property in Cal on the west coast but noty in the south and mid west.

Like i said dirt cheap as it is
A friend of mine lives in Manhattan, prices in his block, on higher floors, near Colombus Cricle / Central Park, are going for $4,000,000 for a SMALL STUDIO!!!
Old 30 August 2006, 11:50 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by OllyK
I'm not overly worried about house prices dropping over here, the mortgage accounts for less than 50% of the house's current value so I'm not in much danger of negative equity. I want house prices to drop in France and then I can buy a nice little holiday / retirement place over there!

Council Tax and fuel / electricity bills are what's getting my goat, just had to put the gas & electric DD up to £60 per month.
In the same boat butty, Mortgage is only 25% of the current value
only found out after a revalue a few weeks ago. We knew it had appreciated but FMOB's. France may be an option in the future I think the rush to buy in Turkey may slow down soon as well.
Old 30 August 2006, 11:50 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 2000TLondon
A friend of mine lives in Manhattan, prices in his block, on higher floors, near Colombus Cricle / Central Park, are going for $4,000,000 for a SMALL STUDIO!!!

I look on realtor or JB Goodwin (austin agent) and i cannot believe how cheap prices are in TX - 150k will get you a 4 bed house with a pool
Old 30 August 2006, 11:55 AM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

I look on realtor or JB Goodwin (austin agent) and i cannot believe how cheap prices are in TX - 150k will get you a 4 bed house with a pool
Yep, try http://www.har.com/indexc.htm and use left hand menu to search.

We paid just shy of $200,000 (at the time $1.7 / £1 ) last year for a 3000sq ft house, three bed, games room, three receptions (one double sized) one large and one huge garden, double garage, three baths, but no pool as I thought it wouldn't get used too much..... How I began to regret that in April when it started to get over 100f...... Very rare for it to be below 80f, even at midnight.

Our walk-in closet in the "master suite" is almost the size of my lounge when I lived in Marylebone!!!
Old 30 August 2006, 12:46 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Mines paid for, bring it on, a nice cheap buy to let perhaps ?

Jesus, I am turning into a PSL like Nimby, Im all right jack capitalist !
Old 30 August 2006, 12:51 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

http://search.har.com/engine/indexde...0&backButton=Y

Dallas anyone ??
Old 30 August 2006, 01:08 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
Imagine taking a girl back to that

As Garth would say 'A fully functional babe-lair'
Old 30 August 2006, 01:11 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Imagine taking a girl back to that

As Garth would say 'A fully functional babe-lair'
A troupe of girls you mean
Old 30 August 2006, 01:22 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana
We'll be next
Yep.
Old 30 August 2006, 02:04 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

Glad we exchanged contracts on our sale last week then

And I have to laugh at you lot saying you have 25, 40% or whatever equity in your houses - judging by the locations that would be worth a loaf of bread here darn Sarf

And you only have the equity when you release it, otherwise it's worth diddly on paper........
Old 30 August 2006, 02:07 PM
King RA
BANNED

Originally Posted by Dave T-S

And I have to laugh at you lot saying you have 25, 40% or whatever equity in your houses - judging by the locations that would be worth a loaf of bread here darn Sarf

And you only have the equity when you release it, otherwise it's worth diddly on paper........
I take it you're not buying another house then if you're so up-beat about selling?
Old 30 August 2006, 02:11 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

I only moved out of Marylebone, W1 last summer, where I'd lived for 12 years, so I understand the relationship between price and location.....

What are you intending to do for accomodation now?
Old 30 August 2006, 02:13 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

more fool you for paying out £200K on a loaf of bread, I get mine from Tesco for under a quid!
Old 30 August 2006, 02:14 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Talking

We bought a year ago - which is why I breathed such a sigh of relief at selling this one!!

The point is we are pretty much the only country that buys houses as an "investment" and that has so many attendant problems. It is only a "profit", or your "equity" on paper, and most of us are tied to the property ladder if only because if you get off it for any length of time you'll never get back on again - although our possible retirement plan is to flog darn Sarf and buy a pile in the wilds of Scotland
Old 30 August 2006, 02:16 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

We bought a year ago - which is why I breathed such a sigh of relief at selling this one!!

The point is we are pretty much the only country that buys houses as an "investment" and that has so many attendant problems. It is only a "profit", or your "equity" on paper, and most of us are tied to the property ladder if only because if you get off it for any length of time you'll never get back on again - although our possible retirement plan is to flog darn Sarf and buy a pile in the wilds of Scotland
Of course, your main property should never be viewed as an investment, and it never is an investment as it is all relative. If you own one house, you'll never see any "profit" unless, as you say you downgrade...... That's the mistake lot's of first time buyers make IMO, and at some point it will bite everyone on the ****......

Having lot's of equity in your home allows breathing space during "hard times", I wasn't trying to impress with my statement, just to say that I hope I could ride out any potential issues without too much bother.....

Last edited by 2000TLondon; 30 August 2006 at 02:22 PM.
Old 30 August 2006, 02:18 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Talking

What are you intending to do for accomodation now
Well, that's a topical question. We bought a cottage a year ago, gutted it, and it is going back together a lot slowly

We are moving out in 19 days, and currently the new house has no plumbing, no heating, no water, no kitchen, no bathroom, no electricity apart from two sockets in the utility room, and a gaping hole in the roof

To say I am starting to get ever so slightly concerned would be an understatement
Old 30 August 2006, 02:19 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Talking

2000TLondon
Wasn't criticising you in any way, just saying as a nation that's how things work
Old 30 August 2006, 02:19 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

Well, that's a topical question. We bought a cottage a year ago, gutted it, and it is going back together a lot slowly

We are moving out in 19 days, and currently the new house has no plumbing, no heating, no water, no kitchen, no bathroom, no electricity apart from two sockets in the utility room, and a gaping hole in the roof

To say I am starting to get ever so slightly concerned would be an understatement
Sounds like you need Sarah Beeny round, if not just for a "morale boost"
Old 30 August 2006, 02:20 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

2000TLondon
Wasn't criticising you in any way, just saying as a nation that's how things work
Old 30 August 2006, 02:30 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Sounds like our house 2 years ago - lived in it while we sorted it, still got a few things to do, but we're getting there slowly!
Old 30 August 2006, 02:30 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Talking

Sounds like you need Sarah Beeny round, if not just for a "morale boost"
Now there's a thought

Actually, it's all under control, we have a really good bunch of builders, we just have a bit of a timing problem (and at least now we have sold are solvent again and can pay them )

Quick Reply: House price crash starting in America