Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

malawis

Search this Thread

Old 20 August 2006, 08:15 PM
wazo'swrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default malawis

does anybody on here keep malawi cichlids ? and what type are they , how bigs your tank ... oh yeah and whos got any for sale ....LOL
Old 20 August 2006, 08:26 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Originally Posted by wazo'swrx
does anybody on here keep malawi cichlids ? and what type are they , how bigs your tank ... oh yeah and whos got any for sale ....LOL
I used to keep firemouths, at one point I had two huge ones in a 4' tank, tis amazing when they breed, no need for a telly

None for sale though, sorry.
Old 21 August 2006, 07:42 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Have kept Malawi Cichlids in the past, but without much success. if you are new to fish keeping I wouldn't go down this route - a lot of people are attrcated by their colouring but fail to spot these fish are aggressive and territorial. A few dead fish later the new guy gives up and sells his tank.

Make a decision to keep either mbuna or non-mbuna species and stick to it, mixing the two is challenging but will potentially end in trouble. If you go for mbuna, set the tank up like their natural habitat - lots of rocks hiding places. non-mbuna need more open water with space to swim. Seek out a reputable and knowledgable stockist, they will advise which fish are compatible, doing your homework will save you a whole lot of hassle.

Go for a fine sand or coral substrate and get a dark coloured one. Two reasons Malawis like to dig about in the substrate and the dark substrate shows off their colour to better effect. Choose your lighting carefully too, too bright a lamp will make the fish appear washed out.

Live plants can be challenging too as all cichlids like to eat their surroundings!!! Forget leafy plants, things like amazon swords dont seem so attractive to them.

Good luck and enjoy.
Old 21 August 2006, 07:57 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thugs the lot of them. Pretty but not suited to a friendly community in my limited experience. dl
Old 21 August 2006, 08:23 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Providing you keep chiclids in a species tank they are fine, but even within species you need to excesise some caution and provide plenty of nooks, crannies and refuge places for a fish to escape to if it becomes harassed
Old 21 August 2006, 08:56 PM
shooter007
Scooby Regular

moved from tropical (mixed) to malawi,s three years ago jewel 180 (liters) plenty of ocean rock aprox £150 worth, coral sand substrate comes with own filter but recomend extra filtration (fluval 204 ) and plenty of water test equip and the're breeding like theres no tommorow by the way its a mixed tank you must over stock to combat bullying very good luck steve/lynda