Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

anyone know anything about car repossession work ?

Search this Thread

Old 20 August 2006, 01:00 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone know anything about car repossession work ?

ok serious enquirey, something ive been pondering on for ages but its such a vague and hush hush cagey subject to get into

been in the motor trade for 10 years certainly know my way around cars, own recovery trucks so i presume thats a handy tool to own

in some respects i know its not a nice job upsetting people for a living and getting abuse day in day out but for years ive wanted to get into it as well ..... maybe a sideline

a few years ago i tried ringing a few finance companys and asking who does there work can i have contact numbers etc but drew a few blanks

any advice ? any licenses needed?
Old 20 August 2006, 02:07 PM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by apples24
ok serious enquirey, something ive been pondering on for ages but its such a vague and hush hush cagey subject to get into

been in the motor trade for 10 years certainly know my way around cars, own recovery trucks so i presume thats a handy tool to own

in some respects i know its not a nice job upsetting people for a living and getting abuse day in day out but for years ive wanted to get into it as well ..... maybe a sideline

a few years ago i tried ringing a few finance companys and asking who does there work can i have contact numbers etc but drew a few blanks

says it all, why not just start off as a traffic warden
Old 20 August 2006, 02:11 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Are you big and 'ard and do you own a baseball bat?
Old 20 August 2006, 02:21 PM
Lucifer
Scooby Regular

Try the auction houses who sell the vehicles on, they are usually instructed by the bank/finance company to recover the vehicle and sell it to pay costs.
There is one in Reading I can put you in touch with and one up north.

Also lose your personality, leave your sense of humour at home and become devoid of all compassion.
Wanting to take a job which at best leaves people unhappy in already difficult circumstances smacks of something lacking in your life and you feel the need to "exert your power and authority".
Old 20 August 2006, 03:08 PM
406dude
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lucifer
Try the auction houses who sell the vehicles on, they are usually instructed by the bank/finance company to recover the vehicle and sell it to pay costs.
There is one in Reading I can put you in touch with and one up north.

Also lose your personality, leave your sense of humour at home and become devoid of all compassion.
Wanting to take a job which at best leaves people unhappy in already difficult circumstances smacks of something lacking in your life and you feel the need to "exert your power and authority".
Maybe it pays well? Does your job reflect your personality? Given that you appear to abhor this job you must be truly saintly, do you work entirely free of charge in charity shops 7 days a week? Thought not.

Yes I'm sure it does make people unhappy but I personally have little sympathy for idiots who take out massive finance agreemants for a depreciating asset. Let's face it, if you are struggling to makes ends meet, car finance would not be at the front of most intelligent peoples' minds.
Old 20 August 2006, 03:57 PM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 406dude
Maybe it pays well? Does your job reflect your personality? Given that you appear to abhor this job you must be truly saintly, do you work entirely free of charge in charity shops 7 days a week? Thought not.

Yes I'm sure it does make people unhappy but I personally have little sympathy for idiots who take out massive finance agreemants for a depreciating asset. Let's face it, if you are struggling to makes ends meet, car finance would not be at the front of most intelligent peoples' minds.
valid point..... that reflects small number of people who take out such agreements in such circumstances.... What about the majority, whose circumstances change for the worse through no fault of their own?

I hope you or partner never falls ill, gets made redundant, loses their job with no redundancy, gets pregnant with triplets, close relatives fall into financial difficulty, have a teenage child who has a nasty accident on holiday when pissed, face negative equity on their house, blah blah blah

Perhaps you'd like to share your views with the thousands of people who lost their jobs and cars (!!!) when Rover went under?
Old 20 August 2006, 04:35 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

to be honest its a job i feel i could personally do well, nothing to do with being big and matcho, you can only repo something within the power of the law anyway so its down to the police if it gets a tad irate at the scene

as fo getting in touch with a company that could be usefull to send em a letter or a email, i spose i have to be a certificated baliff, onother one to look up i spose
Old 20 August 2006, 04:43 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

to be honest its a job i feel i could personally do well, nothing to do with being big and matcho, you can only repo something within the power of the law anyway so its down to the police if it gets a tad irate at the scene

as fo getting in touch with a company that could be usefull to send em a letter or a email, i spose i have to be a certificated baliff, onother one to look up i spose

Or you could go out and get a proper job. In the meantime a few English lessons may be of use.
Old 20 August 2006, 04:44 PM
Ipkis' Wifey
Scooby Regular

i have a friend who repo's cars for a living... i could ask him whats involved...
Old 20 August 2006, 08:44 PM
406dude
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by brumdaisy
valid point..... that reflects small number of people who take out such agreements in such circumstances.... What about the majority, whose circumstances change for the worse through no fault of their own?

I hope you or partner never falls ill, gets made redundant, loses their job with no redundancy, gets pregnant with triplets, close relatives fall into financial difficulty, have a teenage child who has a nasty accident on holiday when pissed, face negative equity on their house, blah blah blah

Perhaps you'd like to share your views with the thousands of people who lost their jobs and cars (!!!) when Rover went under?
apologies you are of course entirely correct , I was a little pi**ed off when typing that post. It isn't always planned borrowing - I myself have had to run up credit card debts in the past to support the family - all paid now! I still believe though that there are a significant number of people who have thoughtlessly borrowed, not thinking how to pay it back that have contributed to the massive credit gap we have in the UK. These are the people who will be directly responsible for the recession that will hit when the bubble finally bursts.
Old 20 August 2006, 09:03 PM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 406dude
apologies you are of course entirely correct , I was a little pi**ed off when typing that post. It isn't always planned borrowing - I myself have had to run up credit card debts in the past to support the family - all paid now! I still believe though that there are a significant number of people who have thoughtlessly borrowed, not thinking how to pay it back that have contributed to the massive credit gap we have in the UK. These are the people who will be directly responsible for the recession that will hit when the bubble finally bursts.
apology accepted i was having a bad day too and you gave me the perfect opportunity to vent my spleen

Interesting comments in your second post.... on one hand we dont like the nanny state controlling our lives, on the other we let the financial industry lure us into a culture of excessive lending...

You could argue that its just a demand led culture but not everyone is blessed with a supreme level of intelligence and forethought. Add that to the amount invested in 'training' salespeople, glossy aspirational marketing and a generally materialistic society; is it fair to lay the blame entirely on the shoulders of the poor hapless person who gives into temptation (sales pressure)?

Are people who are taking out interest only mortgages and borrowing 4, 5, 6 times their salary any smarter? Ok houses do increase in value over time but thats no good if you cant keep up with the payments...
Old 21 August 2006, 09:02 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ipkis' Wifey
i have a friend who repo's cars for a living... i could ask him whats involved...
You say "friend", but I would really be surprised if those kind of people can form real social relationships.
Old 03 September 2006, 07:32 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

he never did get back to me m8
Old 03 September 2006, 07:58 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

My Father in Law has is own debt collection buissiness which includes car repo's.
He gets "Contracts" from all different companies and sources and sometimes he buys bad debt from bigger firms.
To get a good reputation for getting results, and keep the contracts coming in, he sometimes spends days tracking someone until he has a positive ID or finds the car being driven even though it may only net him £50.
If anyone thinks it's just a case of knocking on a door and lifting a car then they can think again.

He does use recovery firms to take non drivable cars away so this might be more suitable for the thread starter than actually doing the ground work and recovering the debt to start with.

Cheers
Lee