Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Water Proof Trousers

Search this Thread

Old 19 August 2006, 08:04 AM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Water Proof Trousers

I am looking for a good quality waterproof over trousers which are breathable.

I have just had to take back a pair of Sprayway Rainpamts because despite reproofing they consistant leak when out in driving rain for more than an hour.

So now i am looking for some thing better suitable for hill walking in the lakes etc any suggestions?
Old 19 August 2006, 08:53 AM
richiewong
Twatful

Anything by The North Face or Berghaus should do you.
Old 19 August 2006, 09:15 AM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

I have been reading on Outdoors Magic comments that people have had problems with Berghaus Paclites not lasting!

Normally i go for Berghaus as i have a freeflow daysac which is OK and a Mera Peak waterproof jacket which keeps me dry even if two of the pockets fill with water in heavy rain! But i think after 6 hours walking in horizontal rain (yes really horizontal doesnt stop till it hit the hills ) i am still dry then that is pretty good.

Got North Face fleece not over impressed with it to be honest the sprayway is rubbish and the Berghaus is the best.
Old 19 August 2006, 09:31 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

take a stroll to your local golf pro shop too ...... I have a couple of pairs of Sunderland for instance which are superb.

Gary
Old 19 August 2006, 11:31 AM
PeteT
Scooby Regular

Anything GoreTex should do the job, the more you pay the better they'll be (usually).
Old 19 August 2006, 11:33 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Adrian F
I have been reading on Outdoors Magic comments that people have had problems with Berghaus Paclites not lasting!
I use those for mid-winter walking in Scotland and also on my scooter in driving rain, never had any problems. Great size as well when packed up.
Old 19 August 2006, 11:56 AM
Ipkis' Wifey
Scooby Regular

i guess you didn't mean these...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Adult-Nappies-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 19 August 2006, 12:52 PM
white scooby
Scooby Senior

Something like these maybe?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Galvin-Green-A...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 19 August 2006, 01:37 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

I've never had much success with waterproof over trousers as they tend to be hot and even if they don't leak the condensation soon has you so wet that they might as well.

However, many outlets catering for guns or anglers now sell waterproof trousers which are designed to be worn on their own. If you get the right ones (my favourites were made by Cabelas but are now out of production) then they are literally as comfortable as a pair of jeans but they don't seem to suffer quite as bad from condensation as the over trousers. They tend to only be available in cammo patterns but that hardly matters unless you are going to a fashion show.

It might be worth looking at the army surplus stores on the net, again choice of colour will be limited but you can get some very good waterproofs from them for very little money.
Old 19 August 2006, 03:51 PM
D8UGF
Scooby Regular

Goretex paclite, but im biased, I make the stuff!
Old 19 August 2006, 07:28 PM
BexTait
Scooby Regular

Location: Drink, drink, wherever you may be, we are the drunk and disorderly (owner of 5 fairy tokens)

Rohan do the waterproof trousers designed to be worn on their own. Never tried them myself, but other stuff of theirs i've had has been good.
Old 19 August 2006, 11:10 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Thanks I was thinking of over trousers. means at the end of the day you just peel of the mauddy lay before going in to the pub

I have already found out that the lack of breathability is a problem with the old trousers so i wondered if Goretex or its equilivent would solve this problem.

The Paclite did feel very flimsy when i handled it in the shop, i would rather have some thing more durable.
Old 19 August 2006, 11:13 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

i wear Army issue gore-tex trousers(as i'm in the Army), good peice of kit and go straight back in the daysack when done, you can usually pick them up for £20-30 notes.

Mac
Old 21 August 2006, 07:58 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice as i have a credit for Field and Trek i am going to have a look round there and they have a sale on starting thursday
Old 21 August 2006, 08:13 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bluenosewrx
i wear Army issue gore-tex trousers(as i'm in the Army), good peice of kit and go straight back in the daysack when done, you can usually pick them up for £20-30 notes.

Mac
I bought some of these off eBay a while back, though I've not actually been out in the rain with them yet. Seem very well made and IIRC they were about £20 for brand new unissued ones.
Old 21 August 2006, 09:14 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iwan
I bought some of these off eBay a while back, though I've not actually been out in the rain with them yet. Seem very well made and IIRC they were about £20 for brand new unissued ones.
Yep I got a pair off ebay for £20ish. Had them a year and they havent let me down yet. Do quite a lot of outdoor shooting comps and a few have been in pretty bad weather this year.

Simon.
Old 21 August 2006, 09:29 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Berghaus Extrem
Old 21 August 2006, 10:09 PM
andys
Scooby Regular

try asking on www.outdoorsmagic.com normally a very helpful lot
Old 21 August 2006, 11:08 PM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

I used to wear Gore-tex type over trousers, but to be honest I've found something now which I think is a much better "solution".

I've been wearing trousers made by Paramo for a few years now, see here:- http://www.paramo.co.uk/UK/acatalog/...ers-16-43.html.

The material is Nikwax Analogy and whilst I wouldn't describe them as 100% waterproof, but they are warm and comfortable in all conditions I've thrown at them, from monsoon conditions to -20 degC in high windchill conditions. I simply don't sweat in them, it wicks all moisture away very effectively.

You don't have to mess around putting on or taking off the overtrousers due to changing conditions, you just wear them from beginning to end whatever the weather does. The material is very comfortable next to the skin, absolutely no chaffing. 3/4 length zips means it's easy to ventilateif it gets warm.

They are quite simply the best outdoor trousers I've ever owned and when they wear out, I'll be replacing them with the same thing. Before you buy anything, I recommend you try and check them out.
Old 22 August 2006, 12:13 AM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Smile

Originally Posted by Brit_in_Japan
I used to wear Gore-tex type over trousers, but to be honest I've found something now which I think is a much better "solution".

I've been wearing trousers made by Paramo for a few years now, see here:- http://www.paramo.co.uk/UK/acatalog/...ers-16-43.html.

The material is Nikwax Analogy and whilst I wouldn't describe them as 100% waterproof, but they are warm and comfortable in all conditions I've thrown at them, from monsoon conditions to -20 degC in high windchill conditions. I simply don't sweat in them, it wicks all moisture away very effectively.

You don't have to mess around putting on or taking off the overtrousers due to changing conditions, you just wear them from beginning to end whatever the weather does. The material is very comfortable next to the skin, absolutely no chaffing. 3/4 length zips means it's easy to ventilateif it gets warm.

They are quite simply the best outdoor trousers I've ever owned and when they wear out, I'll be replacing them with the same thing. Before you buy anything, I recommend you try and check them out.
Another Paramo devotee here. A lot of the Search & Mountain Rescue guys use their kit. Dartmoor, Exmoor, Kinder, Cockermouth, Wasdale, Assynt, Bowland Pennine, Dundonnell, Duddon & Furness. And if it's good enough for them . . .

http://www.paramo.co.uk/UK/index.html

I have Paramo jackets,trousers,shirts,shorts,windproofs & fleeces & they all work well & the outer gear is "rustle" free which a lot of the "membrane" type garments aren't.Also Paramo stuff is easy to look after,cleaning & reproofing in the washing machine.They come with an unlimited guarantee plus a unique repair service.

• Any manufacturing defect will be rectified free of charge indefinitely.
• Damage to the garment by accident or normal ‘wear and tear can be repaired by Páramo® at a reasonable cost.
• The performance of garments using Nikwax Fabrics and Fabric Combinations can be maintained indefinitely by applying Nikwax Garment After Care products according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
• The weather protection systems employed by Páramo®, maintained correctly, will outperform membrane and coating based waterproof systems.

I had a breast pocket zip & a popper that broke on a waterproof fleece which was over two years old.They sent me a new replacement & in the colour of my choice.Can't say fairer than that.

Paramo mountain shirt being used in adverse conditions with my dog Misty.

Mark
Old 22 August 2006, 12:21 AM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough

Originally Posted by Adrian F
I am looking for a good quality waterproof over trousers which are breathable.

I have just had to take back a pair of Sprayway Rainpamts because despite reproofing they consistant leak when out in driving rain for more than an hour.

So now i am looking for some thing better suitable for hill walking in the lakes etc any suggestions?
Paramo rain testing.

Minimum four hour resistance to 3cm of rain per hour. Sample garments tested independently at Leeds University Textile Department Rain Room.

The process of testing a garment is as follows: Mannequins are clothed in fleece cotton tracksuits and balaclavas. These are absorbent but do not wick easily. This aids the detection of water movement.

Páramo® test garments are then placed over the top.

The clothed mannequin is positioned under the shower tester with one arm pointing forward and the other slightly downward to mimic a walking position.

The mannequin and clothing revolve six times per minute, for up to four hours.

Heavy rain is simulated; with a range of drop diameters and an intensity of 28-32mm per hour. This is approximately 10 times the intensity of normal heavy rain in the UK.

HTH

Mark