Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

speed cameras measuring average speed on M60

Search this Thread

Old 04 August 2006, 08:27 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speed cameras measuring average speed on M60

as title, loads of these have now popped up around Ashton junction. Got them on the motorway itself, and also on various slip roads exiting and entering the motorway. They are doing some resurfacing work, but I think that these cameras are permanent. Bright yellow they are. Beware!
Old 04 August 2006, 08:52 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are only there for the duration of the road works for safety, you can pick up one of the info forms from halfords at the snipe.

Tony
Old 04 August 2006, 09:06 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

seems overkill installing the amount that they have done and especially on the slip roads as well. Up until recently there used to be a cop car parked up on one of the poilce access areas more or less every evening (About half 4, 5 oclock), not seen one for a good few weeks. Surely would have been cheaper installing the normal gatso type like they did when the road was widened nr trafford.
Old 04 August 2006, 09:08 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

True but people just use to slow for those then speed up afterwards, with the SPECS you have to keep a constant speed otherwise they cop you.

Tony
Old 04 August 2006, 09:15 AM
Palmo
Scooby Regular

Seen these myself the other day - although there were signs saying cameras wern't operational yet.

To be honest it just takes the P*** IMO. Firstly, if they had built the road correct in the first place it wouldn't now need re-surfacing, wouldn't have suffered from subsidence and therefore wouldn't be so prone to flooding. Afterall, this section is brand new in relation to the rest of the M60 (it opened when.....about 5 - 6 years ago?).

If the Specs cameras are there temporary it is even more of a joke regarding what it must have cost to install these - there's loads of them! On the other hand, if they have gone to the trouble of installing such a comprehensive set of cameras, the roadworks must be set to take an age - just what we want when trying to get around the M60, and just as they have finally finished the roadworks around the southern side towards the Trafford Centre!
Old 04 August 2006, 09:27 AM
LongTimeLurker
Scooby Regular

Past these this morning, the posted limit is now 40 until you get half way between the Ashton and Oldham junctions. Specs i agree with during road works to be fair, they are put there for the safety of the workmen / women which is fair enough. They are only ever temporary so there'll remove them after the work is done. And don't even go there about badly planned / build the Ashton section is, surprised half of it hasn't disappeared into the Moss by now.
Old 04 August 2006, 09:42 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

I agree for the safety aspect, however it cannot be cheap installing the amount they have done with all the cabling involved, computer system monitoring and processing etc, for them to then rip it out at a later date. I expect road tax will increase again next year.
Old 04 August 2006, 09:49 AM
LongTimeLurker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
I agree for the safety aspect, however it cannot be cheap installing the amount they have done with all the cabling involved, computer system monitoring and processing etc, for them to then rip it out at a later date. I expect road tax will increase again next year.
They won't be cheap but they will have probably budgeted for them in the re-surface so someone has signed it off some where. I imagine due to H&S laws these days they are pretty much mandatory for certain jobs of this size or nature regardless of cost due to the cost of a life.
Old 04 August 2006, 10:13 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

As far as i know - they are live now, so careful.

be interesting to see if they come down after the roadworks.

makes no odds to me - i take my plates off
Old 04 August 2006, 10:15 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

hmmmm me thinking front mount with number plate on top of my bonnet.
Old 04 August 2006, 10:25 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Had these cameras for a few months now with the M1 widening. It's a total PITA to be driving home from work at 4 in the morning doing 40 mph.

In fact, why is the limit now 40, seem to remember only a few years back it was 50 everywhere for roadworks?
Old 04 August 2006, 10:38 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

It is nice when doing 40mph you see the deristriction sign though - only the other night (m60) i had this jag sat literally on my back bumper through those works - anyway as soon as i hit the sign Jag man boots it to try and overtake so i floored it all the way up to legal speeds.

Almost as much fun as drag racing from the pay booth on the M6 Toll
Old 04 August 2006, 11:18 AM
106rallye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Chief

ha ha you need to get your self to the continent! breaks up a boring journey i can tell you! 15 booths into 3 lanes with mental french lorries and drivers

Andy
Old 04 August 2006, 11:29 AM
skoda_kid
Scooby Regular

Anyone been 'done' by the '' Active Traffic Management '' system on the M42?

My gf lives in Brum and i travel through about twice a week, sometimes the limit is set to 40mph at 11pm, but people keep on at 70-80mph....are they active cameras?I always wonder if the people disregarding them are locals who know the cameras are inactive?

Anyone?

Matt
Old 04 August 2006, 12:29 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Chief
It is nice when doing 40mph you see the deristriction sign though - only the other night (m60) i had this jag sat literally on my back bumper through those works - anyway as soon as i hit the sign Jag man boots it to try and overtake so i floored it all the way up to legal speeds.

It wasnt a reddish colour was it, because exactly the same thing happened to me on Tuesday, why do these measly jags try to out accelerate our scoobs. Probably an old fart driving not knowing any better.

Saying that, totally off topic, a old guy in a champagne jag went through red lights nr where I live and went into the front of a fiesta that was turning right. Fiesta totalled front end, the jag only had the bumper hanging down.
Old 04 August 2006, 01:25 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Those Specs jobbers are the trickiest of them all I think, too easy to think you are ok having passed the first one.

Les
Old 04 August 2006, 04:43 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah noticed the Specs cameras, from a low flying Saab at justunder 3 figures, papped myself, slowed down and read the little signs on them that they aren't in use, still dont trust them, the works have made me go round the other way, 1 mile further on my journey but quicker and the car does more to the gallon !

As for Jags, most of the bigger ones will trouble a standard scoob, stick to picking on diesel X types and 2,0 petrol X types and you will be ok, anything S or XJ will give you trouble.
Old 04 August 2006, 04:48 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Yeah noticed the Specs cameras, from a low flying Saab at justunder 3 figures, papped myself, slowed down and read the little signs on them that they aren't in use, still dont trust them, the works have made me go round the other way, 1 mile further on my journey but quicker and the car does more to the gallon !

As for Jags, most of the bigger ones will trouble a standard scoob, stick to picking on diesel X types and 2,0 petrol X types and you will be ok, anything S or XJ will give you trouble.

Agreed but mine aint standard
Old 04 August 2006, 05:05 PM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

seen these today on way to prosport and made sure i entered them into my detector :d