Search this Thread

Old 04 August 2006, 12:55 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help save my Karate club

Anyone in the area fancy training?

www.kodokarate.co.uk

Long shot but worth a try, if we don't gain a couple of members it will have to shut.

Thanks
Simon
Old 04 August 2006, 01:02 AM
bootsy
Scooby Regular

Location: Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless. Like water.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would mate but your a bit far from me(cambridgeshire) been looking to do something different
Old 04 August 2006, 01:28 AM
magepaster
Scooby Regular

I would love to help out mate but Birmingham is just a touch too far from the club. I have a 4th Dan Black belt in Shotokan Karate. But due to an illness that is slowing me down I need some good sparring sessions.
Old 04 August 2006, 06:57 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

How many members have you got?

Ask yourself why have you got so few members?

I (many moons ago) used to do Tae-Kwondo, and my Instructor used to tell me when he started out he literally was training 2 people, and everyone was telling him to jack it in, well he perservered and got a lot of help from the T.A.G.B (Taekwondo Association of Great Britain) who were great. He now has two clubs one in Liverpool and one in Oldham and has over 300 students.

I think you need a good supportive association behind you if not then look at finding one that is.

Good premises are a must as well. no one likes training in a crap hole with a filthy floor - and you'd be surprised how many people dont know of your club. be a bit more pro-active with adverstising your club, we used to have demonstrations once every 3 months with looking to enrol people.

and during this we'd make it look as flash as possible i.e. sparring, breaking tiles/wood that sort of thing.

try and keep it open - a couple of senior students who gained their black belt now have their own successful club.

good luck

Last edited by The Chief; 04 August 2006 at 06:59 AM.
Old 04 August 2006, 07:25 AM
clare792000
Scooby Regular

Smile

If you werent so far away I swap my boys over to your group. Where the are now a lot of their friends from school go and you know what kids are like, once one starts they all follow s sometimes its a bit of a riot! Still, my eldest has just got his yellow stripe belt, so must be doing something right!
We had a local group come round knocking on the door advertising their group recently, you could try that?
Or do some kind of taster sessions for the kids during the holidays maybe?
Good luck anyway!
Old 04 August 2006, 09:32 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Thanks guys.. was expecting it to be way to far for most people but thought it worth a try.

Basically the location is not ideal.. and the Sensei won't take people that clearly don't want it.. so people are either there and committed and they quit early on rather than the usual train on and off for a while before quitting.. which in some ways it good as his focus is spent on the people that want it but it is a low time of year with people going on holiday etc..

The cost charged only covers the price of the hall. . currently we have committed 3 adults and 3kids.. we need another 2 adults really to cover the price of the hall, it is not done for profit etc.
The hall is not big so wouldn't want many.. I think we have had 20 of us training in there and it was crowded.

It has been great getting near to one on one training but need to keep the club going now..

Thanks
Simon
Old 04 August 2006, 09:44 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

I can understand what your Sensai is saying but it is a business at the end the day, think about relocating, Your Sensai is saying that it shows commitment - well to be honest as long as they give 100% in the Dojang or Dojo as you Karate types call it, then that is all that matters. if it takes 40mins or an hour to get their then its not worth it if it is taking 4 hours an evening twice a week - people have lives outside the Dojo.

Funny when i used to look at some of our senior students who were on the squad or instructors who trained 24/7 - they were either single, divorced or had very understanding girlfriends!!!!

I'd say relocate.
Old 04 August 2006, 10:04 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by magepaster
I would love to help out mate but Birmingham is just a touch too far from the club. I have a 4th Dan Black belt in Shotokan Karate. But due to an illness that is slowing me down I need some good sparring sessions.
good luck on getting back up to speed!
Old 04 August 2006, 12:29 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by The Chief
I can understand what your Sensai is saying but it is a business at the end the day, think about relocating, Your Sensai is saying that it shows commitment - well to be honest as long as they give 100% in the Dojang or Dojo as you Karate types call it, then that is all that matters. if it takes 40mins or an hour to get their then its not worth it if it is taking 4 hours an evening twice a week - people have lives outside the Dojo.

Funny when i used to look at some of our senior students who were on the squad or instructors who trained 24/7 - they were either single, divorced or had very understanding girlfriends!!!!

I'd say relocate.
it is not run as a business, cost charged it only to cover the hall.. when it was making a little the odd course was paid for out of club funds and some pads bought.

Dojo - not that it matter here etc..

Oh yes.. I am training twice a week and the wife gives me **** for it..

No real point relocated as there is obviously not a massive interest in the area and outside the area but still close by there is other association clubs people train at.

I suspect there might be people local wanting to train but they are not aware of the clubs.. I created the basic website and flyers have been dropped in the vicinity but nothing.. we have had a few come and look and do one lesson but none start training.. which could mean we are not welcoming enough perhaps.. but training at the club the last 2years myself it does exactly what I want and in the way I want.. ie. not sports orianted.. you hit and get hit rather than ***** point scoring.. with perhaps puts the beginner off.

Simon
Old 04 August 2006, 01:00 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
it is not run as a business, cost charged it only to cover the hall.. when it was making a little the odd course was paid for out of club funds and some pads bought.

No real point relocated as there is obviously not a massive interest in the area and outside the area but still close by there is other association clubs people train at.

I suspect there might be people local wanting to train but they are not aware of the clubs.. I created the basic website and flyers have been dropped in the vicinity but nothing.. we have had a few come and look and do one lesson but none start training.. which could mean we are not welcoming enough perhaps.. but training at the club the last 2years myself it does exactly what I want and in the way I want.. ie. not sports orianted.. you hit and get hit rather than ***** point scoring.. with perhaps puts the beginner off.

Simon

FFS i've just done a right intensive reply and feckin' S.net went t*ts up bah
Old 04 August 2006, 01:52 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

Simon
Sounds like you want the numbers a business would generate with no interest in running it like a business.....never gonna work.
Old 04 August 2006, 08:52 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Anyone in the area fancy training?

www.kodokarate.co.uk

Long shot but worth a try, if we don't gain a couple of members it will have to shut.

Thanks
Simon
I would do, but its too far. I travel 45 mins to my club (In leics) and train twice a week. There are closer clubs to me but most do no sparring (no idea why) and concentrate on compo rules - not what I wanted.

Maybe a post on www.karateforums.com may get some results for you?

have you tried a leaflet drop and or local press / radio ads / features / demos at fetes / etc ? Seem to work for most. Plus many clubs now do 'first 4 lessons free' or similar. Also, get your clubs website linked in with UKGB, MAC etc websites, and upgrade your website to show syllabus, history, etc - something to get some interest going.

I went back to Karate after a 10 year break, recently graded to brown, and found the club through the local paper.

Neil

Last edited by NeilT; 04 August 2006 at 08:56 PM.