Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What makes you proud to be British?What can we do to restore pride?

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2006, 11:58 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy What makes you proud to be British?What can we do to restore pride?

Because I really cannot think of much these days, Everything I was taught that was great about Britain is firmly in the past Apart from our armed forces,this country seems to be full of drunken yobs,immigrants and scrounging barstewards.
Scrap the welfare state I say worst thing that has ever happenend to this country, or at least restrict it to 6 months for every 2 years you have worked
Old 04 August 2006, 03:25 AM
Akuma
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Getting rid of the labour government would be a good start, along with the welfare state.

Closing the borders would be the next, and before I get flamed for such comments, it took my husband 8 weeks to get his certificate of eligiblilty just so he could apply for a visa to work in Japan. He had to have a degree and also has to have a sponsor company. We we're granted the C of E and hubby gained a 1 year working visa (we'll have to renew this again for his contract) and my son & I were granted dependants visas (No work for me ) Hubby had to prove he could support us financially too.

It's how Japan works, you can't just come here in hope of getting a job! You have to have a skill that is in short supply. It's bloomin' hard work to get a visa - even harder than Australia in some ways (I know Oz takes a lot longer to process though). There is no point system here in Japan, you have to fit the requirements exactly, if not - no working visa. End of story.

Why can't the UK go down the same route as Oz or similar?

I can't honestly say I'm proud to be British - and that's sad isn't it?
Old 04 August 2006, 06:30 AM
DJ73
Scooby Regular

No i can't think of one thing
Old 04 August 2006, 06:49 AM
letdown
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thats not true about Japan.............I dont have a degree and I worked there for 5 years ! I was sponsored though.

Great place Japan.,..............dont see any *******.
Old 04 August 2006, 07:47 AM
Akuma
Scooby Regular

Sorry, I should have put a degree or 10 years work experience for an Engineers visa. It might be different for other fields of work.

I guess I was trying to point out the difference between the two countries, more than anything else.

And you're right - no *******!
Old 04 August 2006, 08:20 AM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

I think immigration is probably the main cause for concern within the UK.The borders should be closed,and all non deserving "asylum seekers" should be ejected asap.People in general now see the standard of living dropping as immigrants get pushed into towns and cities.This has the knock on effect of lowering house prices in the area,immigrant houses looking poorly maintained with old furniture spewing out of their gardens and into the road.
These factors,which is happening all over the country,brings a feeling of unrest and bad feeling.On a larger scale it makes the whole country unhappy and unsettled,people then start to complain and pride falls.Think this is why so many people wanna emigrate from the UK too.Many are now realising that the UK is finished as a country,it has been spoiled and there is no real turning back,things have gone too far.
Old 04 August 2006, 08:27 AM
JoanUK300
Scooby Regular

Yeah probably the immigration problem....

When I was called 'an english *****' in my OWN back garden by my my Turkish neighbour.....enough was enough and we felt we had to move....now we live in the 'ENGLISH' countryside.....not the 'british' community where we were before...

Edited to say I am proud to have married an ENGLISH man and have since given birth to an ENGLISH son......Who we have given an american name Harrison...LOL

Last edited by JoanUK300; 04 August 2006 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04 August 2006, 08:56 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

nothing tbh. thank god i am not english. that accent, especially the down south one, i wouldn't get tired of beating to a pulp
Old 04 August 2006, 08:58 AM
JoanUK300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
nothing tbh. thank god i am not english. that accent, especially the down south one, i wouldn't get tired of beating to a pulp

Why are you in Britain then?

Sorry...you`ve started me off now!!!!!
Old 04 August 2006, 09:08 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Nothing.

Proud to be Scottish though
Old 04 August 2006, 09:10 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JoanUK300
Why are you in Britain then?

Sorry...you`ve started me off now!!!!!
Calm down dear!
He said he wasn't English, which means probably Welsh. Scottish or one of the other colonies that constantly sponges off the English tax-payer.
Old 04 August 2006, 09:14 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by kingofturds
What makes you proud to be British?What can we do to restore pride?
Being British is enough isnt it? Why have you lost your pride exactly? I no I dont need to restore anything.

Originally Posted by kingofturds
Because I really cannot think of much these days, Everything I was taught that was great about Britain is firmly in the past Apart from our armed forces,this country seems to be full of drunken yobs,immigrants and scrounging barstewards.
Scrap the welfare state I say worst thing that has ever happenend to this country, or at least restrict it to 6 months for every 2 years you have worked
What was you taught exactly that made you proud to be British that has been put firmly in the past? Everything your generally taught about the past pretty much involves the Armed forces which aparently your still proud off.

Sounds like your talking from where that king of a turd came from.
Old 04 August 2006, 09:17 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

I've got one reason, one superb, rational, glorious reason that we should all be proud of:

Top Gear!

Sad really...
Old 04 August 2006, 09:25 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

I always have been proud to be English and always will be. It doesnt matter what anyone does to change that it will never happen.

As for what makes me proud I dont know, its built in ..... A few pointers though

1. Im proud and patriotic of our sportsman when they are playing at international level
2. Im proud of our armed forces
3. Im proud to have a Royal family
4. Im very proud of our History that everyone envies so much
5. Im proud to be disliked by the French, dont worry guys the feelings mutual.

I'm just a good old fashioned English bloke.............

Gary
Old 04 August 2006, 09:38 AM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Akuma

Closing the borders would be the next, and before I get flamed for such comments, it took my husband 8 weeks to get his certificate of eligiblilty just so he could apply for a visa to work in Japan. He had to have a degree and also has to have a sponsor company. We we're granted the C of E and hubby gained a 1 year working visa (we'll have to renew this again for his contract) and my son & I were granted dependants visas (No work for me ) Hubby had to prove he could support us financially too.
It's how Japan works, you can't just come here in hope of getting a job! You have to have a skill that is in short supply. It's bloomin' hard work to get a visa - even harder than Australia in some ways (I know Oz takes a lot longer to process though). There is no point system here in Japan, you have to fit the requirements exactly, if not - no working visa. End of story.
Why can't the UK go down the same route as Oz or similar?
I can't honestly say I'm proud to be British - and that's sad isn't it?
I am having the same problem with the US. very hard to go there permanently ( as I am in the process of). If you want to go there illegally, no problem at all- but I can never leave the states then!
Would be nice for them to implement some loose control over here, but it will never happen, and even if it did, it would be a case of too little too late.

As for what makes me proud to be british......er.....

Fish& chips. Not a lot else.
Am also saddened that I am not proud to be british.

Last edited by Freak; 04 August 2006 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04 August 2006, 09:42 AM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
5. Im proud to be disliked by the French, dont worry guys the feelings mutual.
Fantastic reason, put me down for this one too please
Old 04 August 2006, 09:42 AM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Suresh
Calm down dear!
He said he wasn't English, which means probably Welsh. Scottish or one of the other colonies that constantly sponges off the English tax-payer.
As someone once said - " We got tired of stealing your cattle, so we all moved south to steal your country"

I live in a nice quiet part of Scotland/UK and do not see much crime, hardly any immigrants, etc etc. All in all, pretty damn good apart from the midges.
Old 04 August 2006, 09:43 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Biggest problem I see in the UK is not immigration or taxes etc, it's the sheer amount of "white trash" (chavs, ******* etc) that has infested the country.

These people have no respect for anyone, anything and treat punishment as a badge of honour. It's cool to have an ASBO or be in prison or the attitude of "we was only having a laff" when they get caught for beating up a pensioner or stealing a car.

People underestimate them but we all know that on a street of 100 houses all you need is 1-2 bad families or 3-4 uncontrolled kids and it brings the whole area down.

The other great plague that is affecting the UK is apathy and disinterest from the middle classes who have been happy to let all this happen as long as their house price has increased and they have the latest 4x4.
Old 04 August 2006, 09:47 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

(letdown, Akuma... https://www.scoobynet.com/japan-t532824.html?t=532824 please )
Old 04 August 2006, 09:50 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Kiwi, I agree but the problem has come from all the hand outs the government have been doing, making it easy for the lazy to live off freebies. In turn they slob around with nothing better to do, when theyve become so lazy they cannot even be bothered to look after their own kids and instill any sort of disipline, values or manners IMO.
Old 04 August 2006, 09:51 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

KOT, this question is a SIAL

https://www.scoobynet.com/makes-you-proud-t465725.html

BTW if you do a search with Proud in the title, you'll find this matter discussed plenty of timeszzzzzzzz....

https://www.scoobynet.com/proud-british-t165541.html
https://www.scoobynet.com/after-conc...e-t264653.html
https://www.scoobynet.com/proud-english-t338995.html
https://www.scoobynet.com/proud-brit...d-t439983.html

and my usual "alternative" version
https://www.scoobynet.com/proud-english-t340562.html

Last edited by Brendan Hughes; 04 August 2006 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04 August 2006, 10:01 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alas
I live in a nice quiet part of Scotland/UK and do not see much crime, hardly any immigrants, etc etc. All in all, pretty damn good apart from the midges.
.. and what do you have against the midgets exactly? One of my employees is a little Taiwanese lady and I won't have people attacking her just because of her size, alright?
Old 04 August 2006, 10:03 AM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Suresh
.. and what do you have against the midgets exactly? One of my employees is a little Taiwanese lady and I won't have people attacking her just because of her size, alright?

Ah but does she bite.
Old 04 August 2006, 10:26 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

BTW, as it's Friday I'll repeat what I said before

https://www.scoobynet.com/showpost.p...9&postcount=62

and see if anyone understands it this time
Old 04 August 2006, 12:24 PM
JoanUK300
Scooby Regular

You looking for a wife by any chance?????
One available here.........
Old 04 August 2006, 12:44 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
saved me a job there then Good shout

If ya dont like this great country p155 off to another one You will only be missed by your remaining familly and one or two real friends anyway, no biggy, life will go on without you...
Old 04 August 2006, 12:57 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Tip number one - stop reading the popular press - the seem determined to make us miserable on a daily basis.

I am proud to be British - of course there are problems here, there are problems everywhere - but stop making yourself miserable by looking for them.
Old 04 August 2006, 01:12 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I agree totally with Gutman pug. I am proud too to be British both for the country's past achievements and also modern ones. This was always a gentle, polite and caring country in past times but the present establishment has set out to destroy all that for its own selfish purposes. It has deliberately destroyed the old standards which were all good and allowed mass and illegal immigration which we don't have the room for or the infrastructure to cope with. People now dont feel inclined to vote any more because of the loss of credibility of politicians in general. That is all part of the secret agenda to maintain this sorry government in power because they can count on the votes of the unnecessary bureaucracy which they have created at our cost and the other plonkers who profit from the goverment also at taxpayers cost. As soon as they run out of money they borrow even more from the IMF or create another tax on us.

This still does not decrease my pride in being British, I have faith in this country and I just hope that we will get back to an honest and efficient goverment one day in the future.

Les
Old 04 August 2006, 01:14 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Drunken Bungle *****
Tip number one - stop reading the popular press - the seem determined to make us miserable on a daily basis.

I am proud to be British - of course there are problems here, there are problems everywhere - but stop making yourself miserable by looking for them.
Tip number two - avoid NSR unless you are able to think outside of the madness
Old 04 August 2006, 01:26 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

nothing makes me proud to be british. Everyone hates us, even our neighbours (scotland and wales, although not to bothered about wales)

The government has taken the greatness out of great britain, especially with regards to asylum seekers, letting them in, letting them live, and letting them preach in public. (I am not racist by the way, just dont agree with people living in this country, sponging of us, and then practising and preaching religion that tells us we are evil ffs), also hate how foreigners who are now living here, talk in their "home" language.

To put the greatness back, this may sound racist but isnt meant to be, get rid of all asylum seekers, illeagals etc. Only let people stay here who are either born here, or are skilled in a certain level of employment like previous posts mention for Japan and Australia, but the main one is get rid of the government.

Quick Reply: What makes you proud to be British?What can we do to restore pride?