Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

54% of Brits want to emigrate!

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2006, 01:13 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 54% of Brits want to emigrate!

Anyone else see this on BBC news this morning? 54% of Brits want out!

Up significantly in the last 3 years apparently, and most (40%) want to go to Oz. Its mainly young professionals who are leaving.

No real surprise - standard of living here is now lower than in many other Western countries. House prices are probably the main factor driving out the young professionals IMO however. Place being overrun with immigrants is another key factor driving people out.

I'll soon be adding to these statistics - and a significant number my friends want to go the same way, some already have moved to Oz and Canada.

It will screw the UK in the medium to long term however!
Old 03 August 2006, 01:33 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I'm one of them. This country is turning into a imigrate ridden, tax burden'd, police state sh1te hole of a country.
Every thing HAS to be PC. Criminals have more rights than the victims, and unless you welcome every race/colour the world has into your front room, you are classed as a Racist.

Get me out of this Sh1te hole !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03 August 2006, 01:34 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

UK is what it says "A United Kingdom"

Though that wasnt an invite to every spunging ****** in the world.

Its a disgrace
Old 03 August 2006, 01:37 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Peterm95
54% of Brits want to emigrate!

Phew - well that will cure the traffic problems and clear up the roads for some fun
Old 03 August 2006, 01:38 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

LOL 98.89% of Australians want to move to Great Britain, its mainly bar staff and actors who have managed the exodus so far...
Its the greatest place in the world to live is England, we just take it for granted and being Brits, we like a good moan...
Agree on the immigrant factor, but only a few more years of a Labour government and then the tories will fix everything and all these "grass is greener" lot will be coming back, tails between their legs.
God save the queen....
Old 03 August 2006, 01:42 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I moved out to Germany over 6 years ago and I still love coming home! infact I am driving home tomorrow for a week, the grass is not always greener on the other side.
Old 03 August 2006, 01:42 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL at those who move to Canada to avoid the govt-welcomed immigrants...
Old 03 August 2006, 01:46 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
LOL 98.89% of Australians want to move to Great Britain, its mainly bar staff and actors who have managed the exodus so far...
Its the greatest place in the world to live is England, we just take it for granted and being Brits, we like a good moan...
Agree on the immigrant factor, but only a few more years of a Labour government and then the tories will fix everything and all these "grass is greener" lot will be coming back, tails between their legs.
God save the queen....
Disagree, it's the greatest place in the world to earn money and base yourself for European travel for a few years.

But people who move to Australia expecting cheap housing are in for a shock.
Old 03 August 2006, 02:01 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

lol....hope that 54% **** off ASAP!

England is superb, i am 45 mins from London, 1 min from fields and rivers, low crime, nice house, great job........cant think of anywhere i'd rather be.
Old 03 August 2006, 02:21 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Abdabz
God save the queen....
Exactly, we have it very lucky really, sure there are things that pee you off but England or even the UK as a whole is not such a bad place to be... Only thing Id be looking to move for is better weather and more relaxed lifestyle. The majority of the people looking to move out of the country are city dwellers IMO.... Who are the 54% ??? Ive not been asked, I should imagine its 54% of 1000 people asked in London or something...
Old 03 August 2006, 02:30 PM
mattsan
Scooby Regular

Is there anyone here that has gone to oz and regreted it?
Old 03 August 2006, 02:50 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
Ive not been asked, I should imagine its 54% of 1000 people asked in London or something...
The only reason I live in the UK is because of London. I would not have stayed here if I had to live anywhere else. London is good because of the facilities available.

My nightmare would be to live in a typical English town where there is nothing to do, no decent restaurants, no culture, the streets overrun by drunken youths on Fri/Sat nights, the boring same-ness of the High Street these days etc, gypsies, boyracers, crap weather for 9 months of the year etc

I mean a lot of the UK population have an existence, not a life.
Old 03 August 2006, 03:16 PM
Kyl3cook
Scooby Regular

I am one of the 54%, and I'm moving to Bahrain in October to set up my business. It's unfortunate as I love England, but it's just become too stressful to live here. I love the green-ness, and the people I meet.

Bahrain however is very sandy....quite hot....NO TAX NO TAX NO TAX!...

that is all
Old 03 August 2006, 03:16 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Im one of them!
Old 03 August 2006, 03:46 PM
carlem
Scooby Regular

I'm another one....my wife and I leave on November 20th for a new life in New Zealand. We can't wait...plus I'm planning on picking up a 2004 JDM Sti for around £11,000 or so. Woo hoo!
Old 03 August 2006, 03:47 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Its the weather lazy northerns and labours fault.
Old 03 August 2006, 04:29 PM
RussBoy
Scooby Regular

I've gone, I'm in sunny Spain!

One thing to consider though - when you move abroad, is that YOU become the immigrant and get treated as such. Not a major probelm here, but certainly noticable, and I don't think many people prepare themselves for that. It's certainly made me think differently...

Coming back to the Uk for a while is nice, I was born and bred in London and I miss all it has to offer but trust me, it's a no brainer otherwise...

R
Old 03 August 2006, 04:37 PM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

Im off too

Its too cold and too ruddy expensive in this country

bye bye rat race hell, hello sunshine and turkish delight
Old 03 August 2006, 04:41 PM
RAJ27
Scooby Regular

I'm off too. I am a British born Asian. My father came here in 1961, so we have been in the UK for a long long time.

I love this country for many things, but recently it's just gone downhill. The amount of immigrants that I have seen in this country doing f all is beyond me. My parents, worked their ***** off just to get by when they came here and even they are p1ssed off with the way that immigrants use all kinds of rights to rinse this country dry.

Also, I have a 2 year old daughter and to see her grow up in this day and age scares me sh1tless. When I was young my parents let me go to the park with my mates on our bikes and not worry about anything. I would never let my kiddo go anyway alone. This is what gets me, you have to worry about things like this and this is frankly going to rob my child of her childhood.

Anyway, my wife who is a Quantity Surveyor (I am an accountant.....don't laugh) has been offered a permanent role in Sydney starting in October time. We are going under a 457 visa for 4 years and will apply for perm visa whilst we are out there.

All of those who are doing this, good luck to you! Will I miss it here?....no!

Jay
Old 03 August 2006, 04:56 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mattsan
Is there anyone here that has gone to oz and regreted it?
Saw a series on TV about this. Seemed to me that the ones who loved it were generally successful people who didn't mind working or had goals in their life. They usually knew what they were getting into and were prepared for the challenges. No country is perfect, you just have to get the best balance to you personally of what you consider good and bad.

The ones theat hated it and returned to the UK were generally rather chavish anyway, or didn't plan properly. Also they came out with a flurry of excuses like it's too hot, too many insects, too many BBQs (I kid you not), I miss the family, miss the pub etc. Generally they were a bit lazier and thought it was the easy option.

Brits tend to love NZ more for some reason, I suspect it is because it is a lot more like England (Coronation Street and a lot of English TV, no creepy crawlies, more temperate climate, more anglo-saxon population base etc) In fact many people comment that it's a bit like England was in the 50/60s, especially outside of Auckland.

Whereas Australia is much more multicultural and less enamoured with British stuff in general. Majority of TV is from the US, their sense of humour is more like the US, music definitely influenced more from the US etc.
Old 03 August 2006, 06:53 PM
popeye
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
Saw a series on TV about this. Seemed to me that the ones who loved it were generally successful people who didn't mind working or had goals in their life. They usually knew what they were getting into and were prepared for the challenges. No country is perfect, you just have to get the best balance to you personally of what you consider good and bad.

The ones theat hated it and returned to the UK were generally rather chavish anyway, or didn't plan properly. Also they came out with a flurry of excuses like it's too hot, too many insects, too many BBQs (I kid you not), I miss the family, miss the pub etc. Generally they were a bit lazier and thought it was the easy option.

Brits tend to love NZ more for some reason, I suspect it is because it is a lot more like England (Coronation Street and a lot of English TV, no creepy crawlies, more temperate climate, more anglo-saxon population base etc) In fact many people comment that it's a bit like England was in the 50/60s, especially outside of Auckland.

Whereas Australia is much more multicultural and less enamoured with British stuff in general. Majority of TV is from the US, their sense of humour is more like the US, music definitely influenced more from the US etc.
Absolute **** - every word of that. The ones that love it and stay are the Billy no-mates who have no social circle of friends in the UK. Clarkson wrote a piece parodying it but the crux of it rings true - who is it that goes, "right, I've got a great, sucessfull life and loads of friends - that's it, I'm off to Australia"?
How is "missing your family" an excuse? I lived in Aus for 2 years - I had the chance as I was offered a job and thought I'd give it a go, and like everyone who moves back, it's because I missed my true friends, and Aus is one of the most boring, parochial countries on the planet. How is Aus more "multicultural" than the UK? You're having a laugh aren't you? Aus isn't enamoured with British stuff? So how comes the UK is never out of their press? Sense of humour is more like the yanks?? Are you positive? As for NZzzzzzzz.....no thanks.

Seriously - anyone considering leaving here for Aus, you need to take off the rose-tinted specs and stop watching "Neighbours". You won't get paid as well, house prices compared to wages are every bit as bad as here, Aus beats the UK in the per-capita crime league statistics, the cities are horribly isolated and once you seen what's within immediate driving distance then that's your lot. Your basically binning your mates, family and everything else you've grown up with for some nice weather. After a while, it's just not enough. I had a good time and I'm glad I did it, but if all the moaners in the Uk who think the world owes them a living bog off somewhere else I'll be more than happy. The UK is the best place as far as I'm concerned - just took a while away from it to realise it.
Old 03 August 2006, 10:11 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

This is the common observations I've noticed. The ones who don't stick it out living abroad usually involve some loud mouthed women with a heavy dialect of some sort. I think the best description would be "common with a bit of spare cash" (too much imo ). Normally it's woman's idea to "'av a place in Spain, it'll be nice innit? like a year rand 'oldiday, ya know?" Normally with a well whipped Husand in tow, nit picking at every idiosyncrasy found in their new foriegn habitat.

I see them all the time.

Down the road some dodgy builder built about 50 crappy concrete boxes and sold them to a load of Brits (at some extortionate price in-line with UK housing proces too). No escatura (planning permission), no mains water, and no mains electricty (due to being an illegal development). Yup, the idiots bought them without doing their homework. And thus they are moaning, crying and want to go back home. Well, what do they expect? As the saying goes, a fool and their money are soon parted...and since the builder and estate agent have done a runner.

What makes me PMSL is some went and had a/c fitted...yet they have no electricty to power it, and wonder why their generator keeps tripping out. My goodness, if everyone else in the area can survive without a/c, then I pretty sure they could acclimatise too (whilst they sort out the legalities with the power company). Idiot Brits...GO BACK HOME LOL
Old 03 August 2006, 10:17 PM
mattsan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by popeye
Absolute **** - every word of that. The ones that love it and stay are the Billy no-mates who have no social circle of friends in the UK. Clarkson wrote a piece parodying it but the crux of it rings true - who is it that goes, "right, I've got a great, sucessfull life and loads of friends - that's it, I'm off to Australia"?
How is "missing your family" an excuse? I lived in Aus for 2 years - I had the chance as I was offered a job and thought I'd give it a go, and like everyone who moves back, it's because I missed my true friends, and Aus is one of the most boring, parochial countries on the planet. How is Aus more "multicultural" than the UK? You're having a laugh aren't you? Aus isn't enamoured with British stuff? So how comes the UK is never out of their press? Sense of humour is more like the yanks?? Are you positive? As for NZzzzzzzz.....no thanks.

Seriously - anyone considering leaving here for Aus, you need to take off the rose-tinted specs and stop watching "Neighbours". You won't get paid as well, house prices compared to wages are every bit as bad as here, Aus beats the UK in the per-capita crime league statistics, the cities are horribly isolated and once you seen what's within immediate driving distance then that's your lot. Your basically binning your mates, family and everything else you've grown up with for some nice weather. After a while, it's just not enough. I had a good time and I'm glad I did it, but if all the moaners in the Uk who think the world owes them a living bog off somewhere else I'll be more than happy. The UK is the best place as far as I'm concerned - just took a while away from it to realise it.
Is it really that bad? I have a few friends who live there and have been over to visit us recently and say that everyone is in too much of a rush over here and they cant wait to get back to oz! How can you say the best place to live is the uk? its turning into a right shi&hole!

Last edited by mattsan; 03 August 2006 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03 August 2006, 10:28 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by popeye
And you just proven my point about uneducated chavs not liking it.
Old 03 August 2006, 10:31 PM
speye91
Scooby Regular

In about a years time,when the house is sorted, me and my partner will be moving to Thailand.She is going to teach English ,and im going to do my Masters in Diving,will have property sorted by then,as we have freinds over there.Can't wait to go ,as there is nothing left in this country..sorry too say.
Old 03 August 2006, 10:53 PM
popeye
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by mattsan
Is it really that bad? I have a few friends who live there and have been over to visit us recently and say that everyone is in too much of a rush over here and they cant wait to get back to oz! How can you say the best place to live is the uk? its turning into a right shi&hole!
Oh god, not the "hey us Aussies are so laid back put another shrimp on the barbie, she'll be alright mate" crap. Here's the news - the Aussie work ethic is no different to ours. At all. Another myth that the Aussies have managed to perpetuate about themselves and that every Brit who's watched an episode of "Home and Away" is all too ready to swallow. Couldn't wait to get out of there personally. How is the UK turning into a "shi&hole!" exactly? And try to answer without quoting the latest headline from the Daily Mail at me.
Old 03 August 2006, 10:54 PM
popeye
Scooby Regular

Cool

And you just proven my point about uneducated chavs not liking it.
Fantastic, in-depth critique of my post. "And you just proven...". Which university did you go to Wordsworth?

From Wikipedia:

World crime rate data
According to NationMaster.com, Dominica leads the world in total crime per capita, with 113.822 per 1,000 people. New Zealand is second with 105.881 per 1,000 people

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_rate

Remind me not to visit New Zealand again any time soon.
Old 03 August 2006, 10:57 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

At least their citizens bother reporting it
Old 03 August 2006, 11:03 PM
popeye
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by Shark Man
At least their citizens bother reporting it
Nothing else to do probably.
Old 03 August 2006, 11:04 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

One of the best reasons to emigrate is to avoid the angry weirdos like yourself with chips on your shoulder. You've obviously made your mind up because you couldn't fit in socially over there.

I suppose these reports are fabricated are they?

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/BUSINESS...ies/index.html

Quick Reply: 54% of Brits want to emigrate!