Search this Thread

Old 01 August 2006, 10:24 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up Top Gear defended by beeb

BBC backs 'provocative' Top Gear

BBC governors rejected a complaint about Jeremy Clarkson's **** salute

Viewers who are offended by jokes on motoring show Top Gear must accept such remarks will remain "an integral part of the programme", the BBC has said.
The corporation has issued a statement on its complaints website after receiving 500 objections in six months.
"Provocative comments" by hosts Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May must not be taken seriously, it said.
The BBC said the audience should be "familiar enough" with Top Gear's tone to be able to cope with the jibes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5235334.stm

A major blow for common sense, I'd say!
Old 01 August 2006, 10:26 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

thank ****,

people are actually seeing sence???

do with think this infectious desease, common sence, will be stampped out by the pc ******?
Old 01 August 2006, 11:11 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just don't understand, if people get offended, then why do they watch it?

I find 5th gear's boredom threashold offensive, thus I choose not to watch it
Old 01 August 2006, 11:14 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
I just don't understand, if people get offended, then why do they watch it?

I find 5th gear's boredom threashold offensive, thus I choose not to watch it
each to there own, i agree always the off button if you dont like it
Old 01 August 2006, 11:59 PM
Lord Shrek
Scooby Regular

99.9999999% dont give a toss

0.000000001% do

we always pander to the minorities views/wishes

why not the majority?

go figure?

Lord Shrek.....Clarkson should just say '*** em'
Old 02 August 2006, 09:14 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lord Shrek
99.9999999% dont give a toss

0.000000001% do

we always pander to the minorities views/wishes

why not the majority?

go figure?

Lord Shrek.....Clarkson should just say '*** em'
tbh think he just did pmsl
Old 02 August 2006, 09:26 AM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

Common sense no longer exists...

Obituary: The Sad Passing of Common Sense

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, Who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons As knowing
when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, life isn't always fair, and maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place.

Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job they themselves failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.
It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer Paracetamol, sun lotion or a sticky plaster to a student; but could not inform the parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband; churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims. Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar can sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realise that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is survived by three stepbrothers; I Know My Rights, Someone Else is to Blame, and I'm A Victim.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realised he was gone.
If you still remember him pass this on. If not join the majority and Do nothing.

AMEN
Old 02 August 2006, 09:38 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossi_p

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, Who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, life isn't always fair, and maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place.

Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job they themselves failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.
It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer Paracetamol, sun lotion or a sticky plaster to a student; but could not inform the parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband; churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims. Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar can sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realise that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is survived by three stepbrothers; I Know My Rights, Someone Else is to Blame, and I'm A Victim.

If you still remember him pass this on. If not join the majority and Do nothing.

AMEN
Well said
Old 02 August 2006, 11:17 AM
Martin_Aimless
Scooby Regular

Location: Weapons are like money; no one knows the meaning of enough. M.A.

'People' (greens, politically correct, minorities etc) must watch Top Gear deliberately with the sole purpose of finding things to complain about.

They are very sad and should simply be advised to use the 'off' switch or watch another channel. I would imagine that Channel Four probably screens something more suitable for these types.
Old 02 August 2006, 11:24 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossi_p

AMEN
i would larf at that if it wasn't true,,,
Old 02 August 2006, 11:39 AM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

Perhaps they should have a warning before the show -

"This programme contains material which the majority of viewers find funny. Those of a PC disposition, take things too seriously or who are looking for something to complain about, please **** off."

They can't say they weren't warned - even a little red triangle in the top corner
Gareth
Old 02 August 2006, 11:47 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

I read yesterday that Police have banned hopscotch now as chalking the pavement is classed as low level crime!

Should they not be thankful that these kids weren't out nicking mobile phones are mugging old grannies?
Old 02 August 2006, 11:47 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Im actually impressed the BBC has backed it. The BBC are usually one of the quickest to make apologies etc to the PC dim wits.
Old 02 August 2006, 11:51 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul3446
I read yesterday that Police have banned hopscotch now as chalking the pavement is classed as low level crime!

Should they not be thankful that these kids weren't out nicking mobile phones are mugging old grannies?
don't think that there intellegant enough, well the ones who set policy, to undertsnad that
Old 02 August 2006, 12:03 PM
oobster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
Im actually impressed the BBC has backed it. The BBC are usually one of the quickest to make apologies etc to the PC dim wits.
Yup, I'm also impressed with the BBC's stance on this. Makes a refreshing change.
Old 02 August 2006, 12:49 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Lets hope they re-air 'ello 'ello on prime time TV then - that should rattle a few cages!
Old 02 August 2006, 01:05 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

I clearly remember the **** salute episode - it was actually on Rememberance Sunday - and I said to IM that there'd be letters to Aunty.

If I was the beeb I'd respond with a polite letter pointing out how to use a remote control......
Old 02 August 2006, 01:24 PM
New_scooby_04

Well, I note that the bit featured on the bloopers reel with Clarkson closing the show by saying:

"Why not come to England cause all the birds have great ****!" didn't make it to the final edit!!

Ns04
Old 02 August 2006, 04:40 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Well, I note that the bit featured on the bloopers reel with Clarkson closing the show by saying:

"Why not come to England cause all the birds have great ****!" didn't make it to the final edit!!

Ns04

We went to the re-filming of Top Gear for the US market (which never got aired due to JCs comments) and his opening line was:

"Hello, fatties!"

Odd seeing JC with a *** in one hand and a Red Bull in the other.
Old 02 August 2006, 05:21 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

The biggest round of complaints was from the caravan show after JC gave out some very dangerous advice regarding snakes while towing.

But i'd, hopefully, doubt anyone would seriously take JC's advice over the Caravan Clubs. But I suppose ther are always a few.

Cheers
Lee
Old 02 August 2006, 05:23 PM
Stainy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
don't think that there intellegant enough, well the ones who set policy, to undertsnad that
Was the **** spelling/grammar poignant or intended
Old 02 August 2006, 05:54 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Top Gear is an entertainment machine using a poular subject to every day mankind, The Car (and spin-offs)

It is intended to rattle a few.
To me the Caravan 'article' was the work of prats. I worked in the 'Van industry and made a good living for 10 years; caravanning is not all like it was portrayed.(spell?)

The articles on the Fast Car runs across Europe were really really good for me, but this year it has slipped into being a comic from last year's magazine.

If i don't like it I don't watch it!

Simple, and all the moaners are prats too (imho).

Some need to get a life where thought is involved rather than looking (hoping?) for life to be handed on a plate via gazing empty headed at a screan (and then complaining sometimes).

As to Rossie P:

Well done for that passage, you have written a lot of good sense!

Graham.

Old enough to remember being clipped around the ear for doing things wrong (by my parents).

Good on the BBC for being 'bold' and demonstrating Common Sense.

Last edited by 911; 02 August 2006 at 05:57 PM.