Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

windows media centre [/center]

Search this Thread

Old 31 July 2006, 09:16 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default windows media centre [/center]

i have windows media centre on our home computer. i have been putting a hard wired cat5e network into the house over the last 4 years as we've renovated and extended. so far we have broadband all over the place so mrs g can even work from the garden on her laptop if she wants to! next step is the new tv in the lounge (running a connection via the network back to the media centre of course). as part of that, i am about to try and recode some of the tv programmes i have recorded since we bought the computer so that we can put some of them onto dvd to free up some space on the machine/watch them on another dvd player.

i am looking for (preferably free) software to recode DVR recordings to a suitable format for DVD, ie mpeg, divx or something like that. thought i'd start with trying to recode the gp from sunday. i downloaded digital media converter and now have (after leaving the machine decoding from about 9pm last nigh to about 10am this morning) the whole of the german grand prix in mpeg format. problem is, it says "digital media converter - please register your software" right in the middle of the screen.

does anyone have any experience of converting windows media centre recordings to another format?
Old 31 July 2006, 09:21 PM
teajunkie
Scooby Regular

http://www.doom9.org
See the downloads section and they have a great faq with tutorials.
Old 31 July 2006, 09:36 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

thank you!
i had a good look around the web last night and didn;t find that. the format of the files is "microsoft recorded tv show" and i think i found something that said dvr ripper from greenbutton.com would do what i was after but didn;t have any luck with it. will let you know how i get on
Old 31 July 2006, 09:54 PM
teajunkie
Scooby Regular

No probs
Old 01 August 2006, 07:44 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

i've had another look around and i found www.thegreenbutton.com - a media centre-dedicated forum and download site. just tried dvr edit and everything looks like it's going to plan so far. just need to hit the convert button and then i can put the german gp from sunday on dvd for my dad (we were delebrating his birthday on sunday with the rest of the family so my mum turned the tv off!)