Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Japan?

Search this Thread

Old 31 July 2006, 12:42 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Japan?

At the risk of incurring the wrath of certain contributors ...

We're considering a 3 week holiday in Japan in April/May next year. OT1H would like to see as much of the country as possible, OTOH we'll be taking a 1 yr old so perhaps not very mobile. Probably more interested in the old-fashioned culture rather than electronics galore and illegal street racing

Anyone been and can recommend/warn against places or "experiences"? Best way of travelling within the country? (Jasey - don't say it, OK?)

We have a couple of Japanese friends, will be trying to cadge a floor to sleep on due to all the stories about how expensive it is.

And specifically for the long-termers (letdown, BritInJapan etc), what's the Japanese attitude to toddlers? For example in Portugal you can't go wrong with one, whereas in the UK they can often be viewed as an inconvenience.

My only previous visit was a day in Tokyo during a stopover.

Thanks in advance
Old 31 July 2006, 01:30 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No experience in Japan but every other Asian country absolutely adores children, especially western children, more so than the Europeans, so I can't see it being a problem. But a friend who lived there said the subway in Tokyo isn't very pushchair friendly.

I think the UK is pretty bad when it comes to familes and children anyway, different outlook and priorities on life.

Only problem you'll probably have is getting the toddler back off whoever is holding/playing with him/her
Old 31 July 2006, 09:44 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default nipper tips?

I spent 4 days in Tokyo on business at the beginning of July. Can't offer any advice whatsoever about going to Japan with kids, but just wanted to say I've been there too!

Was surprised about how little Engrish is spoken - even in the business district. Best take a phrase book or a megaphone if you want to be understood
Old 01 August 2006, 10:49 AM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Spent a month there in Nagasaki and Kobe when ship was in for dry dock. Loved Nagasaki and was made to think deeply after visiting the Peace Park and Atomic Bomb Museum.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4400.html
http://www1.city.nagasaki.nagasaki.j...museume01.html
Worth a visit. Loved the country and the people when there.
Old 01 August 2006, 11:10 AM
PG
Scooby Regular

Alas,
That is where my brother is at the mo (and has been for 3 years.)
He loves it.
Old 01 August 2006, 11:25 AM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PG
Alas,
That is where my brother is at the mo (and has been for 3 years.)
He loves it.
Lucky man.
That was one of the best months of my life with the social and sporting life being fantastic. We were in the Mitsubishi Koyagi shipyard but spent 90% of our time ashore with workers/managers from the shipyard. Loved the city and the people that lived there and was sad to leave.
I've always wanted to go back as a tourist and will one day.
Old 01 August 2006, 11:36 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Better check this post out Brendan for typical transport

https://www.scoobynet.com/taxi-anyone-t532958.html
Old 04 August 2006, 10:15 AM
Akuma
Scooby Regular

Currently living in Niigata & previously lived near Yokohama.

3 weeks should be enough to get a good feeling of Japan, if you want culture then you can't go wrong with Kyoto, I only got to spend 3 days there and we crammed heaps in! Such beautiful places to see there, even a geisha in a rickshaw is possible

Kanagawa prefecture (near Yokohama) has some amazing places too, like the great Buddha and lots of beautiful shrines in Kamakura. Mount Fuji is awsome including the area of Hakone.

Kids are very well catered for in Japan and cute 'Gaijin' (foreign) kids are always doted on! We're here for a couple of years with our 4 year old - he's blonde and adored by everyone!! We're always getting little old men & women giving our son sweets and biscuits!

The Shinkansen (bullet train) it a great way of getting about, and if you get an international drivers licence before you leave the UK - renting a car is not difficult. (go to the AA website and you can do the international licence by post for about a fiver) It's dead easy to drive here - same side as the UK! although there are no roundabouts that I know of!

You'll have a fantastic time, you may be a little blown away by it all as it's soooo different. Get a good phrase book and learn a couple of basic words - the Japanese are very flattered if you make an effort, however small!

If you want more detailed answeres to any questions - just gimme a shout & I'll do my best to help.

Sayonara!

Akuma

Last edited by Akuma; 04 August 2006 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04 August 2006, 10:38 AM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

Location: In a 405 BHP/360 ft/lb P1 with SN superstar Sonic dog at my side!

Have spent a few months working over there on and off over the last few years and i love it.

Mainly in Nagoya and the surrounding area where the traditional culture is far more in evidence than Tokyo. If you do stay in Tokyo though there is everything there obviously and the place is fantastic. Get yourself down to the fish market early doors for some fantastic and amazing sights as the boats come in.

Do not worry about transport. The Shinkansen is the really fast bullet train that takes you from North to south but its expensive. You have to take it though just to say you have done it!

On the same lines though are trains that stop more frequently and these are a lot cheaper. Once you get off these the local train lines are superb - Regular and mega efficient. Just remember to que neatly and in regular lines. There is no need for the scrambles you get here.

Taxis are miles cheaper than in this country as well, although generally (restaurants/bars etc) its about the same cost as here.

Cant comment on the kiddies really - although TBH it would not strike me as an obvious kids holiday but as i go on business i have not seen that side of it.

I love the food, but i could imagine kids turning the noses up. Not to worry though as there is western food around plus the fast food outlets. If you have never tried it, A Shabu-shabu restaurant is my favourite (wafer thin prime beef you boil yourself on the table), and obviously the sushi bars are far better than any where else in the world.

Something you will find odd is the many idiosyncracies of the Japanese people. They are lovely folk and far more polite than us. I still find it embarassing in restaurants where the waitresses are bowing and saying thank you thank you thank you.

Another tip - walking across roads before the pedestrian crossing lights tell you to is a no no and frowned upon! If its a dont walk sign you dont walk even if there is no traffic for miles around.
Old 04 August 2006, 11:05 AM
Rage!
BANNED

I had a stopover for a night in Tokyo (Japan Airlines from Sydney) and found them to be rude little gits! Ok, so one night isn't really a good control sample, granted, but we got shouted at by an occupant of a lift we were about to step into because, presumably (I couldn't understand a word he said), he considered the lift to be too full... or perhaps he just hated Engrish people?

Waiting at a bus stop we were first in line, however we made the fatal mistake of leaving a 1 foot gap between us and the bus stop sign.... when the bus arrived that 1 foot gap was suddenly filled with 7 pushy japs!

The JAL stewardesses seemed nicer, but for some reason they kept insisting we eat copious quantities of nuts because we, and a fellow Aussie passenger, were caning bottles of saki.

Now I know the Japs are lightweights but what we couldn't get through to them was the fact that the nuts were making us even more thirsty!
Old 08 August 2006, 03:28 AM
Akuma
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rage!
but we got shouted at by an occupant of a lift we were about to step into because, presumably (I couldn't understand a word he said), he considered the lift to be too full... or perhaps he just hated Engrish people?
Did you expect him to shout at you in English then?
Old 08 August 2006, 09:29 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Sounds like Japan was lucky you were only on a stop over.
Old 08 August 2006, 09:45 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Akuma
If you want more detailed answeres to any questions - just gimme a shout & I'll do my best to help.
BTW Akuma, you'll probably live to regret this offer

Not sure when we're going to start planning, perhaps in September. Hope you're still around here then!
Old 08 August 2006, 10:01 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spent 1 week in Tokyo which has its bright lights etc but does have traditional parts like Ueno (where i stayed) which has the Science and Natural history museum ,Ueno park which is f**cking huge there are lots of temples in the area as well.
If you stay in a ryokan its cheap (only cost about £80 for the week)
Old 08 August 2006, 11:49 AM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

They do some really good concerts in Ueno. Jazz festival was fantastic.
Only "downside" for me when I was in Japan was the trains in the rush hour.
I lived in Yokohama, firstly in a hotel by Yama****a Park then I got an apartment in Honmoku.
Fantastic place and would go back again like a shot if the right job came up.

The Japanese will take interest in your children. A friends little girl learnt more Japanese than he did through locals talking to her
Sometimes, a Japanese person will just strike up a conversation [in English] with you. they are practicing their use of the language.

Enjoy your trip over there. It really is a wonderful place. Lots of history as mentioned earlier. Some of the temples are amazing. And so much technology. go to Akihabara [sp] but leave your credit card at home