Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Kidney stones-who's had them?

Search this Thread

Old 24 July 2006, 11:57 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kidney stones-who's had them?

Just tonight got out of hospital after being in there for last 9 days with kidney stones-now im sporting a rather fetching bag on my side plumbed into my left kidney and awaiting an op to remove stones that have passed down from kidney to further down-anyone else been thro this?You have my pity if you have i still remember the agony i was in 9 days ago when ambulance took me to hospital- not much fun at all
Old 24 July 2006, 11:59 PM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

I've only had some nasty kidney infections so know how excrutiating that can be. You have my sympathy.
Old 25 July 2006, 12:02 AM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

one of worst bits was-pain began about 1 pm-by 5 pm i was ringing for ambulance-was 11 pm at nite before i was given a pain killing injection so had to endure 10 hours of pain and throwing up
Old 25 July 2006, 12:02 AM
speed demoness
Scooby Regular

i've had gall stones... well 1 of em.
the pain i suffered was bloody awful... almost like a cystitis.. excruciating back pain also.
thought i just had some sort of chronic water infection.... until i passed this stone.... never had the back pain/cystitis symptoms since !

good luck with your op OPM !

Kaz xxx
Old 25 July 2006, 12:05 AM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

thanks

Originally Posted by speed demoness
i've had gall stones... well 1 of em.
the pain i suffered was bloody awful... almost like a cystitis.. excruciating back pain also.
thought i just had some sort of chronic water infection.... until i passed this stone.... never had the back pain/cystitis symptoms since !

good luck with your op OPM !

Kaz xxx
Old 25 July 2006, 12:06 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

I've been there, fortunately with only one very small one which passed through naturally during the xrays. Had the excruciating pain and 4 bouts of vomiting. Found out that morphine was a very dear friend of mine

Worse thing of all was that I woke up with the excrutiating pain about 6am on Xmas eve Was fortunately home later that day though as it passed through at about midday, and was only about the size of the ball in a ballpoint pen. That was bad enough, so you have my sincere sympathies ^OPM^
Old 25 July 2006, 12:10 AM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

u was in that much pain with just 1? blimey i saw my scan done last monday and i look like i have been shot with a pellet gun-i got about 7 or 8 in my kidney and about same number further down

Originally Posted by Hanslow
I've been there, fortunately with only one very small one which passed through naturally during the xrays. Had the excruciating pain and 4 bouts of vomiting. Found out that morphine was a very dear friend of mine

Worse thing of all was that I woke up with the excrutiating pain about 6am on Xmas eve Was fortunately home later that day though as it passed through at about midday, and was only about the size of the ball in a ballpoint pen. That was bad enough, so you have my sincere sympathies ^OPM^

Trending Topics

Old 25 July 2006, 12:18 AM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Yep,have had kidney stones twice now over the years....
Pain is something else and as mentioned above, morphine is a very good friend when you're in that much pain.They say it's the male equivalent of giving birth and having been there for the birth of my son,I can agree!
I passed mine through natural ways both times so you have my sympathies if you've got to have an op!!
Old 27 July 2006, 04:28 PM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

Yep not pleasant at all, i passed mine. I also have a deformed Kidney, probably from birth, and have been told that i have the tendency to form them, their advice drink lots to keep your system flushed.....Thanks
Old 27 July 2006, 04:40 PM
Miss Kinky
Scooby Regular

Location: Be who you are and say what you feel. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

i had a minor bout of them and kidney infections a few years ago... 3 trips to casualty (one of which was in Spain)... loads of tests, loads of Xrays, scans etc, all inconclusive...

touch wood not had any since
Old 27 July 2006, 07:45 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

following on from this-anyone had the op u need where they get rest of kidney stones out-how long do u have to stay in hospital? etc?
Old 27 July 2006, 08:26 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Depends on the method used to get rid. I've had ones removed using the tube inserted where you would'nt wish it. This entailed a 4 day stay in hospital. Also had an op to have them removed(in for 12 days) and more recently had an op to denervate my kidney due to me producing grit all the time with the associated agony.
Next step may be an auto transplant. What fun
Old 27 July 2006, 08:57 PM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

Had the pleasure at the age of 15 having a camera inserted in to the 'jap eye', the sever mental damage suffered still goes on to day
Old 27 July 2006, 10:07 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

wish i had never asked now-i feel worse
Old 27 July 2006, 10:30 PM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

You'll be alright. Take comfort from the fact that Kidney stones are the worst pain.
Old 27 July 2006, 10:34 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Swen6
You'll be alright. Take comfort from the fact that Kidney stones are the worst pain.
Old 27 July 2006, 10:55 PM
Scarey_Fairy
Scooby Newbie

I can't believe this post, today is my first day up out of bed since Sunday.

I was taken to hospital on Sunday with the very same problem.

The pain was so strong; I can only relate it to early labor.

I'm not liking reading this much

Last edited by Scarey_Fairy; 27 July 2006 at 11:23 PM.
Old 27 July 2006, 10:57 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

i know exactly how u feel i had 10 hours of it before pain killers began to work

Originally Posted by Scarey_Fairy
I can't believe this post today is my first day up out of bed since Sunday.

I was taken to hospital on Sunday with the very same problem.

The pain was so strong; I can only relate it to early labor.

I'm not liking reading this much
Old 27 July 2006, 11:03 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had two lots taken out - one by lithotripsy ( sound waves focussed on the stone which blows it apart and the the bits get flushed out ) seriously painful at times - when you're having the sound treatment they ask you if you want local anaesthesia or not as "not everyone needs it" - don't be brave and refuse it like I did as I lasted about 5 mins and then made them get me some...

Second lot by catheter via the "wrong way" - 2 day stay in hospital. They first push a camera in via the old jap's eye, which isn't as bad as it sounds until it meets your prostate, at which point it's like hitting a brick wall, the nurse said "try and pee" ( as if it's the most natural thing in the world with a camera up your ****). As you do and they keep pushing, the camera suddenly rushes in, which is not nice...

After a quick shifty it was off to the operating theatre and general anaesthetic. Followed by another insertion - all the way up into the kidney - the stone, once located, was blasted with a laser and swilled out, except for one large piece that they grabbed with a claw type thing and presented to me - ******* hard stuff.

One common complication, and something that I had, is that the tube from the kidney to the bladder is often too small for all the removals gear so they have to put a stent in which is a kind of springy metal tube to keep the passage open...They leave this in for a day or so in case they need to go back in for any reason, but it has a string attached ( very attractively hangs out where it went in...) so once they're sure everything is out they give a good old heave ho and bob's your uncle...Anyone still eating?!

Common causes - you excrete either too much uric acid ( also cause of gout, gall stones) or too much oxalic acid, both of which are exacerbated by not drinking enough water.

Uric acid version is more common and easier to find as it's not opaque on ultrasound unlike calcium oxalate which only really shows up on MRI - the latter can be a bit of a ******* when you're in agony, pissing blood, and they say well we can't see anything obvious, so I'm afraid we need to consider some of the not very nice alternative possible causes...

Common causes of stones too much tea, coffee, baked beans! Not enough water - 2 litres of water a day, plus an extra glass for every cup of tea/ coffee you have as they are diuretic and far from being refreshing actually cause your body to get rid of water.

There you go - still look on the bright side - a generation ago they were either allowing them to come out over weeks and then Morphine is the daddy, or doing invasive surgery. For some reason the kidney is one of the most painful organs to operate on and also very prone to complications. Not nice.
Old 27 July 2006, 11:23 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

yeh remember doc saying to me he mite have to put some tube inside me-but said it be another op (just a quick 3 minute one) to remove it-did they not give u something before ramming camera up ur japs eye-why is my ***** shrivelling up as i type could u walk at all after ur op?
Old 27 July 2006, 11:30 PM
Scarey_Fairy
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by ^OPM^
i know exactly how u feel i had 10 hours of it before pain killers began to work

I guess the best we can hope for is to pass them naturally.

I have already had a scan but, they could not see the stones

I have an appointment next week for more "tests", only then will they decide what to do next.

Hope all goes well for you
Old 27 July 2006, 11:35 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

mine didn't show on initial xray i had when first admitted-but a couple days later they did one where they inject some liquid into ur arm-then wait 7 minutes for it to get to ur kidney presumably-then they take an xray then wait a further 10 mins and take another one-plus also had an ultrasound scan-the ultrasound scan showed some lumps and the xrays with liquid showed them clearly
Old 28 July 2006, 09:39 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Nothing for camera up apart from a little bit of local anaesthetic gel on the cather camera thing - didn't really hurt, just a bit disturbing that's all.

Whatever short term pain the op causes is far better than continuing with the stones - as you now know they are very painful.

Oxalate stones often don't show on ultrasound or Xrays, MRI was all they could see my one on. Maybe you have those or they are small ones
Old 28 July 2006, 11:00 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I sympathise with your problem and the associated pain etc. I have a friend who has had a lot of those troubles too. Hope it all sorts out ok anyway.

Les
Old 28 July 2006, 11:37 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Ohh Dear! I thought they had devised some sound wave pulsing device that could shatter them quickly these days, but doesnt seem much help reading here! Hope you feel better soon mate.

D
Old 31 July 2006, 09:30 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Mr D

They have had it for years - see my lengthy post above - it's called lithotripsy. You basically lie in a shallow bath of silicon fluid and, using ultrasound, they pinpoint the stone and then give you about 15 mins of pulsed sound waves. Each pulse lasts about 15 seconds or so, starts low level and then rises in intensity. The mean intensity of each pulse is ramped up over time as well.

They ask if you want local anaesthetic, I said "That makes it sound optional. Does everyone have it" ? "Nope" he said. "Well then, as I 'm a double hard *******, I won't have any". I lasted about 4 minutes....As the intensity of each pulse rises so does the pain. It's initially bearable, but as each pulse is stronger than the last...

Afterwards, as I had had anaesthetic, I was told to hang around the ward for an hour or so to make sure I was OK and then I was allowed to go. Now you're supposed to have someone pick you up, but I just got a mate to show up to get me out of there, got in my car and set off home. For those of you that know London, I was driving from St Thomas's and got halfway down the Old Kent Road with no pain at all, when something shifted inside and I nearly crashed the car. The pain was incredible. I just managed to get one wheel on the pavement and crawled / fell out of the car, keys in ignition, engine running ,to kneel hunched up in a fetal position in the road grunting for breath for what seemed like an hour, but was probably 3-4 minutes, before it equally suddenly stopped again. Felt pretty stupid as I stood up gingerly, covered in sweat, and could finally assure the nice old black lady who was trying to help me that I was OK. Amazingly the car was still there too, as, if anyone had got into it and driven away, i wouldn' t have even looked up as the pain was that bad.

Drove home very carefully, dranks bucketloads of water as I reasoned that it was some of the bits trying to come out, had a several very raspberry coloured slashes, and was then fine (actually went out on the lash that night and got my leg over - which was a reasonable test of the kit... )

So, yep, it does shatter them quickly and is far better than any invasive surgery, but it's hard to use if the stones are small or translucent to ultrasound.

J
Old 31 July 2006, 09:59 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Had kidney strones myself and you're right it smarts a bit .......
Old 31 July 2006, 10:14 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Wink

LOL
Old 05 August 2006, 11:20 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fat Boy
(actually went out on the lash that night and got my leg over - which was a reasonable test of the kit... )
J
PMSL J - obviously keeping you pecker up mate!!! LOL

I had an interest as I had some ultrasounds for what was I suggested were poss gall stones, but they'd passed through by then and they couldnt find any. I therefore have a small idea of the type of discomfort involved

Hope people werent looking for Ashton Kutcher or Jeremy Beadle with your roadside antics!!!
D
Old 05 August 2006, 11:25 AM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

My Dad has had these, he found out that he had after phoning me to meet him as he didnt feel well, i found him throwing up bile in a train station, straight to the hospital we went. It was on the move they said, he had some laser treatment to try and break it up which did help, he then had to have this removed via some shocking piece of equipement up his japs eye. He was holding his nuts for a few days after that.

Ive never seen him so ill as at that time and he assures me, he's never felt pain like it and he's managed to hurt himself a fair bit over the years.

Quick Reply: Kidney stones-who's had them?