Barking dog

Search this Thread

Old 23 July 2006, 11:07 PM
spufus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Barking dog

A bit of advice please,

Next door have the worlds most annoyng yapping ****cake dog.

We've spoken with them & they can't keep it quiet.

Any advice on what I can do to silence the creature?

Advice on electronic zapping devices etc would be most welcome.

Thanks.
Old 23 July 2006, 11:09 PM
Johnny E
Scooby Regular

Dogs bark mate,

silence the owners
Old 23 July 2006, 11:11 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=531666

Should work
Old 23 July 2006, 11:13 PM
spufus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
As it happens, I have a pump action Mossberg in the loft - licensed too.

I have been very close to using it, but I'm trying to go softly softly.

Any advice?
Old 23 July 2006, 11:17 PM
sparky300
Scooby Regular

You could start by getting thicker walls, and giving them a book on understanding their dog.

Remember it’s NOT THE DOG that needs punishment but the owners ignorance of the animal.

Zapping or punishing an animal in ANY WAY for a behaviour which is natural to them not only shows your lack knowledge, but your malicious nature!
Old 23 July 2006, 11:29 PM
spufus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sparky300
You could start by getting thicker walls, and giving them a book on understanding their dog.
Thanks for that.

I'll call the builders.

Remember it’s NOT THE DOG that needs punishment but the owners ignorance of the animal.
I've spent a lifetime around animals & I'm fully aware of this.

Zapping or punishing an animal in ANY WAY for a behaviour which is natural to them not only shows your lack knowledge, but your malicious nature!
Any living creature has to be taught.

I was, you were, my dog was.......

I have no intention of punishing the dog, I was simply seeking advice on how to remotely train it.

Why would you assume I have no knowledge & have a malicious nature from a simple question?
Old 23 July 2006, 11:36 PM
sparky300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spufus
Thanks for that.

Why would you assume I have no knowledge & have a malicious nature from a simple question?

quote:
Advice on electronic zapping devices etc would be most welcome

quote:

enough said!

Trending Topics

Old 23 July 2006, 11:40 PM
sparky300
Scooby Regular

quote:
I have no intention of punishing the dog, I was simply seeking advice on how to remotely train it.

its not up to you! its up to them, the dog is doing nothing wrong!

if its that bad keeping you up and they can not control it, then maybe they should not own a dog. if is a dog barking when someones at the door or someones in the street, then just get a grip.

have a word, tell them about some training programs, but again its not up to you!
Old 23 July 2006, 11:46 PM
spufus
Scooby Regular

quote:
Advice on electronic zapping devices etc would be most welcome
OK. Fair point. A badly worded post on my part.

quote:

enough said!
Yes. I own shotguns, why would that make me malicious?

Why would you jump to such a conclusion?

Now back to topic.

Could you please enlighten me on how to advise the canine next door that his "natural behaviour" 24/7 is really rather annoying & his owners don't seem to mind?
Old 23 July 2006, 11:46 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Could it be that the neighbours are also fed up with the yapping, and just don't know how to stop it?

Always be diplomatic when speaking to them - if they really love their dog, they may get defensive if you criticise the dog ( it happens!!) and this can lead to confrontations which will make things a helluva lots worse in the long run.

Try speaking to them again. Explain to them how it affects you, and get them to emphasise with you- then advise them that you want to try something like the gadget below to try and solve the issue. Get them on side by assuring them that it isn't going to hurt the animal, just train it to stop yapping - and hopefully it will solve the problem

http://www.pestcontrolshop.co.uk/aca...Bark_Free.html
Old 23 July 2006, 11:48 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Talking

quote:

its not up to you! its up to them, the dog is doing nothing wrong!

if its that bad keeping you up and they can not control it, then maybe they should not own a dog. if is a dog barking when someones at the door or someones in the street, then just get a grip.

have a word, tell them about some training programs, but again its not up to you!
Agreed with the above . .And I can fully empathise with your plight . .My neighbours have a CHIHUHUA, which has to be the most stupid dog in the world . . More a bag of nerves than a dog with any brain . .

Mate . .I would have apolite but , stern word the people . . . .But also , don't forget - htere is always the trusty police and RSPCA . . .But its truly amazing how many inept and thick people have dogs . . .

p.s . . Chihuahua's are stupis and cannot be trained therefore i have not done anything sofar myself . .
Old 23 July 2006, 11:49 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Re my earlier post - this is a bit cheaper and fits to the fence..

http://www.primrose-london.co.uk/pro...9781936bba6332
Old 23 July 2006, 11:54 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

hmmm ..neat idea...
Old 23 July 2006, 11:57 PM
spufus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by little-ginge
Could it be that the neighbours are also fed up with the yapping, and just don't know how to stop it?

Always be diplomatic when speaking to them - if they really love their dog, they may get defensive if you criticise the dog ( it happens!!) and this can lead to confrontations which will make things a helluva lots worse in the long run.

Try speaking to them again. Explain to them how it affects you, and get them to emphasise with you- then advise them that you want to try something like the gadget below to try and solve the issue. Get them on side by assuring them that it isn't going to hurt the animal, just train it to stop yapping - and hopefully it will solve the problem

http://www.pestcontrolshop.co.uk/aca...Bark_Free.html
Done all this matey.

We get on really well with them & all is fine - even he is pissed off with the yapping little ****cake, but at the end of the day it's his dog.

As sparky says, he sould sort it but I'd like to find a way to "help".

I've researched the stuff you mention & they're all poo - don't work.

Maybe I should build thicker walls, keep the windows closed & get a grip.
Old 24 July 2006, 12:13 AM
sparky300
Scooby Regular

training is the only way this can be sorted.

but not all barks are bad, you have to find out why/what the dog is barking at. for example if the dog seems to bark at everyone that go by the house or the door ect, this is ok, but reward the dog then tell them to stop after a few barks. give them something to reward them for letting you know someone is about, then make then stop, when they stop reward them again. keep doing this and the dog learns that one bark is all that is needed, the dog gets to feed its natrual sense and is only a little bark for you!

also these sound things i have seen work, but only indoors, as outside the sound does not travel well! indoors i firend of mind use one and her dog has not barked since.

these people have to understand if your going to own a dog you need to put time in for training (not matter what the breed), i see so many times dog being put down because the owers could not be borther to train the dog right (saying things like, he/she can not be trained) i have never met a dog which could not be trained!

PS i am not a dog trainer just grown up about dogs and dog training people.
Old 24 July 2006, 07:22 AM
Miss Kinky
Scooby Regular

Location: Be who you are and say what you feel. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

is the dog left on its own for long periods? if this is why its barking maybe a call to the RSPCA is needed...
Old 24 July 2006, 08:07 AM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

can you not get some sort of high pitch deterent thing that hurts dogs ears but humans cant hear it? when it barks just blast it with that and "remote train"

all this "there are only bad owners" stuff is all very nice and fluffy but is the dog version of "dont smack your kids".

http://www.dazer.com/dog-deterrent.jsp

there you go...if you can get in range just pop the buggers ear drums
Old 24 July 2006, 08:26 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Re my earlier post - this is a bit cheaper and fits to the fence..

http://www.primrose-london.co.uk/pro...9781936bba6332
Lots of "can be effective" in there not "is effective". Oh and they're not inaudible to humans, I can hear the damn things, and they send our dog mental he just stands there barking at them.
Old 24 July 2006, 10:37 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Phone Barkbusters? ("Who you gonna call....")
Old 24 July 2006, 11:48 AM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
Lots of "can be effective" in there not "is effective". Oh and they're not inaudible to humans, I can hear the damn things, and they send our dog mental he just stands there barking at them.

SPufus - have you tried getting the dog with a water pistol everytime it barks? Nothing too strong like those water blaster things, but just enough for it to take notice of.
Old 24 July 2006, 11:54 AM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

what about the stones in a bottle trick
Old 24 July 2006, 01:37 PM
sparky300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Snug Rhino

all this "there are only bad owners" stuff is all very nice and fluffy but is the dog version of "dont smack your kids".

there you go...if you can get in range just pop the buggers ear drums
Its more like beating your kid for playing with his toys.

That mentality is ridiculous, I would smack a kid for jump on top of my car, but a dog braking is natural behavior. Beat a dog and two things will happen 1) it will be come aggressive towards others 2) punish the dog means that most will (maybe not now) will challenge you. So a few years down the that shy little dog takes a chuck of your face! Will you have him put down bet you will, but again it would have been your fault.

Its simple, don’t have a dog it you don’t understand them, or have the time to put in lots of training, even more so with big dogs. An average large dog has the IQ of a 3 year old child, it must be treated like so! Do you hit a 3 year old child? Sorry because I don’t, they don’t understand that!
Old 24 July 2006, 01:39 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

SPufus - have you tried getting the dog with a water pistol everytime it barks? Nothing too strong like those water blaster things, but just enough for it to take notice of.
Just hope it doesn't like water, you can't use the hose pipe round my dog as he jumps in to the water, face first snapping at it trying to drink the water and he just loves a shower!
Old 24 July 2006, 03:09 PM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

We had one next door, but she moved away (only round the corner to a granny flat)

Little **** Westie too! Yap Yap Yap! all day long....... all noise & nothing else mind!

I tried loads of things, BB gun, Catapult (not actually hitting it i must add!)

Eventually I opted for the bullying tactic. I borrowed Jax (A 4 Year old Japanese Akita, weighing about 12 stone)

I waited in the garden, heard the door open & out comes the Yapper! Now Jax being an Akita is supposed to be on a lead at all times (natural instinct is to run) however, he's a good lad & never runs off so when my mates away I look after him - his bird cant handle him due to his size

Anyway, back to the point, I let his chain off, Yapper walks into our garden (shared right of way) only to be faced with Jax (he'd never actually hurt another dog, well.....i hope not)

The little **** ran like mad into next door, didn't make a sound for about 6 months, wouldn't come into the garden & stopped ****ting and pissing on our lawn!

RESULT!
Old 24 July 2006, 03:23 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Miss Kinky
is the dog left on its own for long periods? if this is why its barking maybe a call to the RSPCA is needed...
Very good point . . .
Old 24 July 2006, 04:32 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

training is the only way this can be sorted.

but not all barks are bad, you have to find out why/what the dog is barking at. for example if the dog seems to bark at everyone that go by the house or the door ect, this is ok, but reward the dog then tell them to stop after a few barks. give them something to reward them for letting you know someone is about, then make then stop, when they stop reward them again. keep doing this and the dog learns that one bark is all that is needed, the dog gets to feed its natrual sense and is only a little bark for you!

also these sound things i have seen work, but only indoors, as outside the sound does not travel well! indoors i firend of mind use one and her dog has not barked since.

these people have to understand if your going to own a dog you need to put time in for training (not matter what the breed), i see so many times dog being put down because the owers could not be borther to train the dog right (saying things like, he/she can not be trained) i have never met a dog which could not be trained!

PS i am not a dog trainer just grown up about dogs and dog training people.
I'm not a dog trainer either! In fact whilst I tollerate dogs, I've no great affection for them. Some of my friends have them and, in general, these are okay.

Now, I've been attacked by several dogs as a kid - usually whilst I was on a bike - yes we know that dogs love to chase things. So, it really is down to the owner to control it.

I'ts okay saying that dogs barking is natural, well so is the human emotion of getting pi**ed off with the noise.

Tell the neighbour that you're unhappy with the carry on. I had a simillar situation where the neighbour would leave her dog in the garden overnight. It would then start barking at 3am and she'd just leave it there! Was I wrong to become fed up and angry? I don't think so, I asked her to keep it quiet, but she'd never listen - typical sort, never worked a day in her life, scrounged off the state, had drink, **** and sky provided by you and me. Eventually she moved away (thankfully).

No easy answer to your problem, but you have my sympathy.

Perhaps a quiet chat if they're easy to talk to / good listeners.
Old 24 July 2006, 05:30 PM
sparky300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gpssti4
I'm not a dog trainer either! In fact whilst I tollerate dogs, I've no great affection for them. Some of my friends have them and, in general, these are okay.

Now, I've been attacked by several dogs as a kid - usually whilst I was on a bike - yes we know that dogs love to chase things. So, it really is down to the owner to control it.

I'ts okay saying that dogs barking is natural, well so is the human emotion of getting pi**ed off with the noise.

Tell the neighbour that you're unhappy with the carry on. I had a simillar situation where the neighbour would leave her dog in the garden overnight. It would then start barking at 3am and she'd just leave it there! Was I wrong to become fed up and angry? I don't think so, I asked her to keep it quiet, but she'd never listen - typical sort, never worked a day in her life, scrounged off the state, had drink, **** and sky provided by you and me. Eventually she moved away (thankfully).

No easy answer to your problem, but you have my sympathy.

Perhaps a quiet chat if they're easy to talk to / good listeners.

I don’t disagree with you, the point I am trying to make is all I have read here is posts on how to attack the dog, (water, sound, guns, other dogs) but the problem is not the dog, the dog should not be targeted, it’s the owner that should!

to leave a dog in a garden at 3am is not only grounds of abuse but if it was me, i would have taken the dog and re-homed it to a family which would treat it right! the RSPCA would have taken that case!

My dog barks when someone is about, he barks once to satisfy his needs then he knows to stop I hear no more form him.

When I am out of the house I say a word and he goes into guard mode, he will bark like crazy if someone is around the back, next door know something is up when he is barking - it has saved there house in the passed before too!

When I am in or I don’t tell him the magic word he never barks, all this is down to good training. He has already saved my girlfriend from a brake in once!

Dogs are very intelligent ( guide dogs, fire dogs, police dogs, drug dogs, hunting dogs, etc) my training friend can learn them almost anything (even decision making!) you can teach a dog not to brark if done correctly in days!

So here is my advice.

Given them some info on dog training, make sure the dog is not board (dog which are board will bark more) does it go for walks often?

The training will sort it out: try (bark busters) they train a dog not to bark, come out to your home and do a good job!

In the mean time a little training tip: teach the dog to bark on command, say “bark” when he does (even if its by mistake) give him a treat. Do this again, and again treat him only when you have said ‘bark’. The dogs learns that no treats comes when hes barking and the word is not said. After a few days the dog will only bark when you say the word (and every now and then you must say it). Its ok for a dog to bark, when there is a need to bark, that’s the next lesson.

Yes this all seems like a lot more hard work then buying stupid sound devices, but if they don’t want this hard work they should not have a dog!

My 2p!

Last edited by sparky300; 24 July 2006 at 05:34 PM.
Old 24 July 2006, 11:08 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

your not punishing the dog, your punishing the owners!!

lets face it, if rover becomes organic maneure, it will be happier, as youve prevented the moblie sh*t machine from degenerating into a semi wild problem,

and the neighbpurs will understand just how far your prepared to go and prolly move!!!

Job done

mart

(we had a similar problem,) i just found out who,s dog it was, and evertime they went to bed, would howl at the top of my voice in the garden!! they soon got p*ssed off evertime there hound went off on one

Mart
Old 28 July 2006, 12:33 AM
sparky300
Scooby Regular

mart, remind me if I ever bump into you to punch you in the face and put you out of your misery, because it clear that your own animal instinct of ‘got a problem, lets bash it over the head’ it stopping you from functioning in a civil society where people sort out problems by not regressing to a caveman nature. I would hate to see what you would do if it was crying baby!

You obviously have no respect for animals and the world around you judging from such a comment.

and a domestic dog would NOT be best in the wild, 98% of all dog breeds are a product of hundreds, some thousands of years of selective breeding you idiot!

Yes, noise is a big problem, perhaps these people should not have a dog, but its people like you taking this out on a animal (which one day may save your life, or more likely take you down in an arrest) that are responsible for the ignorance society face!

As for the original question ask here, I give you my advice, talk to them, train the dog, if they can not do that they should not own one!
Old 28 July 2006, 07:52 AM
pete higham
Scooby Regular

Location: Salford & SMACS,,,,,,,,, and in the smacs muppets and numpty thread

mart, remind me if I ever bump into you to punch you in the face and put you out of your misery

keyboard warrior

Quick Reply: Barking dog