Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Painting/decorating questions

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2006, 10:17 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Painting/decorating questions

Hi guys, quite a few questions I'm afraid. All help appreciated as its all getting a bit stressful.

1) What do you think about this quote. My kitchen is about 18x12ft, about 30ish% of the wall will be covered by units so that doesn't need to be painted. Also it has lots of windows so that cuts out areas.
It has all just been skimmed including the new false ceiling. the painter intends to 'remove all nibs by gently sanding,apply sealer, apply lining paper,fill joints,rub down to smooth. apply three coats of emulsion rubbing down between coats.
There is also one wooden door which he will fully prepare, rub down and then paint.
the quote is £975 inc materials. Isn't this alot? The scary thing is my whole house needs to be redecorated with many rooms needing to be stripped first. At this sort of rate it'll end up costing me £10k!!!
Now I know you get what you pay for and all that and maybe his work will be perfection but I really can't afford this level of perfection. I don't want some muppets to just come and slap some paint up either, maybe something in the middle

2) In my other rooms many have paper already up. Rather than stripping first can I just have new paintable paper put up over vinyl paper ie will it stick?
Some rooms have the embossed textured thing going on. Can I just put thick plain paper over that or will the texture show through?

3) The rear and side of my house has horrible greyish brown pebble dashing. Can that just be painted over? ie can I spare the expense of having it rendered, its a large area so saving would be significant. What kind of paint?

Many thanks
Old 22 July 2006, 10:23 AM
John Catlin
Scooby Regular

Think you would be better off asking those questions in the DIY Section.
Old 22 July 2006, 10:40 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

1) If it's just been skimmed why is he using lining paper? - did the plasterers do a bad job? Rub it down, apply sealer or diluted PVA, Paint with diluted emulsion, then apply one or two more coats depending on opacity. I'd be inclined to it myself. Infact I would do it myself. And I've never rubbed down between coats of emulsion Gloss yes, but emulsion, no.

2)depends on the wall paper. You can paper over Pulp-type wall papers. But vinyls having an impregnated coating may not be very good for getting paste to adhere to. If it has a texture, (blown vinyl)it will show thorogh and not adhere evenly. You maybe able to get a more adhesive paste that is made for the job. But teh other issue is when you get the underlying paper damp from the paste it may peal off.

3) Yes you can paint it. BUT once you paint it, you'll have to keep painting it to maintain it. So in the long run it'll be a pain. You can get various types of spray-on rendering coatings in various colours and textures, once done you'll never need to touch it again. Expensive though. Alternative is to clad it in PVC.
Old 22 July 2006, 10:47 AM
Crazy Chick
Scooby Regular

Someone down the road from me had brown pebble dash on his house - had a laugh watching him paint it cos I think it took him about a month to do the front and another month to do the side.
Old 22 July 2006, 11:11 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

John, nobody does there!

Shark, skimming is good but he reckoned that over months tiny hair line cracks can appear in the plaster and this may then show through to the paint. Didn't say I had to have it done just said that the finished result would be better. Unfortunately I can't do it myself.
What do you think of the quote?

Thanks
Deep
Old 22 July 2006, 11:16 AM
fieldy
Scooby Regular

to be honest, it does seem expensive. get a few more quotes and compare them. you proberly will be very surprised at the differences. HTH
Old 22 July 2006, 11:41 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
John, nobody does there!

Shark, skimming is good but he reckoned that over months tiny hair line cracks can appear in the plaster and this may then show through to the paint. Didn't say I had to have it done just said that the finished result would be better. Unfortunately I can't do it myself.
What do you think of the quote?

Thanks
Deep
Yes you can get hairline cracks. Depends how dry and settled the fresh plaster is, also on the quality of paint and dilution used. So he is right from that point of view.

Trending Topics

Old 22 July 2006, 12:58 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Sorry, but can I ask why the paint needs to be diluted?
Old 22 July 2006, 03:10 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

It just does - especially on the first coat, it says so on the back of the tin

I'm sure somebody will come along with the science bit
Old 22 July 2006, 04:31 PM
djliveasy
Scooby Regular

if its been plastered dont line it your just wastin your money, a light rub down and paint, i dont even water the paint down but i surpose you should but ive never had a problem not doin. if you mean artex in the other rooms dont paper over it. and no dont paper over vinyl paper. as for the price thats over the top i would charge half that i think youve been told a few white lies with all the rubbin down between coats if the first coat is put on correctly you shouldnt have to. if you need anythin answed just ask i do this for a livin. cheers scott
Old 23 July 2006, 03:58 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks all. Found someone who'll do it at £80/day and reckons it'll take about 3-4 days. No lining paper as suggested above.

Deep
Old 23 July 2006, 05:44 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

The new price sounds a lot better. Our kitchen is a bit smaller but due to state of plaster it was re-done in areas and then lining paper put up which was painted. It was half the price of your quote.
Old 23 July 2006, 09:22 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

D.I.Y !!!
Old 23 July 2006, 10:01 PM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

glad you got a second quote - first bloke was definitely exploiting your *cough* lack of knowledge

Next time just ask around, I found a great decorater/handyman by asking in my local decorating shop - does it to supplement his 'meagre' pay as a fireman.... just waiting for the day he brings his mates round in their big red truck
Old 23 July 2006, 10:30 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

AFAIK you put on a watered down 'primer' coat as the fresh plaster is porous, and would soak all the moisture out of a normal layer of emulsion, meaning that it will flake off.

Daisy, book yourself in for one of these
It is free and may reduce your home insurance quote, you get free smoke alarms with 10yr batteries and in all likelihood you will get a full fire crew attend.
Offer them a cuppa and as long as your housekeeping is above 'student standard' they will ALWAYS accept.
Old 24 July 2006, 01:06 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

3) The rear and side of my house has horrible greyish brown pebble dashing. Can that just be painted over? ie can I spare the expense of having it rendered, its a large area so saving would be significant. What kind of paint?

Many thanks
Pebble dashing can be painted.I had it done. I bought a very good quality exterior paint from Dulux.I hired the decorators to do it for me.I know it needs maintanence every three years, but it is worth it if you really want to change the look.
I could have got those expensive wall coating companies to do it for me but their prices were exorbitant and,I saved a lot of money by buying paint myself.
Old 24 July 2006, 01:40 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Hi guys, quite a few questions I'm afraid. All help appreciated as its all getting a bit stressful.

1) What do you think about this quote. My kitchen is about 18x12ft, about 30ish% of the wall will be covered by units so that doesn't need to be painted. Also it has lots of windows so that cuts out areas.
It has all just been skimmed including the new false ceiling. the painter intends to 'remove all nibs by gently sanding,apply sealer, apply lining paper,fill joints,rub down to smooth. apply three coats of emulsion rubbing down between coats.
There is also one wooden door which he will fully prepare, rub down and then paint.
the quote is £975 inc materials. Isn't this alot? The scary thing is my whole house needs to be redecorated with many rooms needing to be stripped first. At this sort of rate it'll end up costing me £10k!!!
Now I know you get what you pay for and all that and maybe his work will be perfection but I really can't afford this level of perfection. I don't want some muppets to just come and slap some paint up either, maybe something in the middle
I think he saw you as a bit of an earner..lol..glad to hear you got a new quote.

What he was planning to do was way over the top, and the chances are he wouldn't have done it all anyway.

I believe the technical term is "taking the ****"

2) In my other rooms many have paper already up. Rather than stripping first can I just have new paintable paper put up over vinyl paper ie will it stick?
Some rooms have the embossed textured thing going on. Can I just put thick plain paper over that or will the texture show through?
Better to peel off the old paper first. Many papers will peel leaving effectively a lining paper up anyway. Don;t event try to paper over textured paper.

Many thanks
Yes, and the easiest way is to have it sprayed. Use exterior masonary paint, and if you can stand the extra cost go for one with pliolite. It will act as a sealer and should last longer.

The only problem with painting is that once you start, expect to have to do it every few years (depending on colour)

HTH
Old 24 July 2006, 01:52 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Daz34
AFAIK you put on a watered down 'primer' coat as the fresh plaster is porous, and would soak all the moisture out of a normal layer of emulsion, meaning that it will flake off.
Yup - we use diluted PVA solution as a sealer - damn site cheaper than using paint!