Connecting Business Flights?

Search this Thread

Old 19 July 2006, 04:44 PM
SupaMiniCupa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Connecting Business Flights?

Afternoon NSR,

I need to book a flight on business from Birmingham to Poland. This needs a connection stopover in Munich of only 50 mins. I need to take a suit bag for 5 days business travel. If I need to check it in as hold luggage do I have to collect the luggage from the first leg, and re-check in for the second leg? How do these things work? (first timer!!)

Thanks in advance
Old 19 July 2006, 04:49 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Contact the airline you've booked with for the specific info, but whenever I've made connecting flights (UK to Raleigh in North Carolina, then on to St Louis) the bags are automatically checked through to their final destination so you don't have to do a single thing.
Old 19 July 2006, 05:00 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Munich aren't bad, but with a connection that short you risk that you make it but the bag doesn't. Can't you take the bag on the plane?
Old 19 July 2006, 05:02 PM
Reality
BANNED

50 minute stopover - wave goodbye to you bag when you check it in - you'll probably never see it again .

Most things improve over time - baggage handling doesn't seem to be one of them !

If your suit is important for your meetings I'd wear it and check in your jeans etc.

Check it in on the way back .
Old 19 July 2006, 05:13 PM
MY00PPP
Scooby Regular

agree with the above. you think 'tight time for me to make it from gate 123 to gate 456'... = bags next flight after you!

would get one of the the small wheeled cases that you can cram in as much as you can and it is legal to go inside the cabin.

Rich
Old 19 July 2006, 05:19 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

If its with the same airline, no problem. You'll check your bags in in Birmingham, and pick them up in Poland.
I did Washington DC to Sydney Australia via Los Angeles, with a 25 minute connection in LA, with no problems at all. That was with United.
If your switching carriers, I don't know!
Old 19 July 2006, 05:20 PM
Reality
BANNED

Originally Posted by MY00PPP
agree with the above. you think 'tight time for me to make it from gate 123 to gate 456'... = bags next flight after you!

would get one of the the small wheeled cases that you can cram in as much as you can and it is legal to go inside the cabin.

Rich
The only problem is the Government have recently changed the laws about what can be carried on - anything bigger than a small shoe bomb has to go in the hold nowadays !!

Not flown since the new rules but the measurements don't sound very big !
Old 19 July 2006, 05:34 PM
SupaMiniCupa
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies, all

Flightman, yes its the same Airline, Lufthansa...
Old 19 July 2006, 06:51 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

If your flights are with the same carrier, then they will check them through no problem.
If they arent, then you are pushing it a bit time wise. I would say there is a chance they wont make it with only a 50 min connection.
And thats IF the flight arrives on time....if its delayed, then there goes your connection.
Personally I would be hesitant at booking a 50 min connection.

Originally Posted by Reality
Not flown since the new rules but the measurements don't sound very big !
More or less the same carry on dimensions as they have been for premium passengers for ages. At least with BA they are... (thats who I am a card holder with)
56cm x 45cm x 25cm (22in x 18in x 10in) is the max bag size you can take as a carry on ( and I am assured is now the max size permited through the security checkpoints and x rays), and an additional bag too on most airlines. Check with LH for their limits.

Last edited by Freak; 19 July 2006 at 06:54 PM.
Old 19 July 2006, 07:32 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Markus
Contact the airline you've booked with for the specific info, but whenever I've made connecting flights (UK to Raleigh in North Carolina, then on to St Louis) the bags are automatically checked through to their final destination so you don't have to do a single thing.
Markus,

that is strange. I have just come back from Baltimore which is my sixth trip to the states in the last twelve months.

As long as I can remember you HAVE to pass through customs at the port of entry in the US which requires that you collect your baggage and take it to the baggage transfer point after customs.

This is a legal requirement in the US. Your baggage will be checked through but you need to wait to collect it and then carry it through customs.

This is not the same in Germany. Also if you are travelling business class you can take a suit carrier on with you. Just make sure it will fit in the overhead bin - which also depends on which plane it is.

Rannoch
Old 19 July 2006, 07:39 PM
redragon
Scooby Regular

dont ryanair fly direct to poland frm bhx
as they do from east mids just a thought like
Old 19 July 2006, 07:51 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

I did a 24hr 3leg hopover, delta to chicago- mexico air to mexico city - mexico air to hermosillo. due to the pilot on the second leg forgetting his passengers were aboard!! we were an hour late departing ffs... (mind you in business class we didnt care!!)

the result was i landed in hermosillo at 10pm in the evening with no luggage!!

so it was a quick trip to walmart to purchase some essentials... so i went into plant the next day in a very smart shirt!!

my luggage arrived by the time i got back to the hotel

Mart
Old 19 July 2006, 08:19 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rannoch
Markus,

that is strange. I have just come back from Baltimore which is my sixth trip to the states in the last twelve months.

As long as I can remember you HAVE to pass through customs at the port of entry in the US which requires that you collect your baggage and take it to the baggage transfer point after customs.

This is a legal requirement in the US. Your baggage will be checked through but you need to wait to collect it and then carry it through customs.

This is not the same in Germany. Also if you are travelling business class you can take a suit carrier on with you. Just make sure it will fit in the overhead bin - which also depends on which plane it is.

Rannoch
You have to clear immigration at your first point of entry, but bags can be checked through. Not always though! Depends on a whole host of things- as with anything to do with US entry/immigration/customs, nothing is simple.

Have been to the US 9 times so far in 2006 myself, although i personally dont trust baggage handlers as far as I could throw them (not very far at all ) !

Oh another top tip for you...

If they put priority tags on your bags (assuming you are flying business class) then note that they often get loaded first, therefore coming off last. Happens to me all the time! Sometimes they get put to one side, then dont get loaded on the plane at all!
You may not want to have the tags on.

Last edited by Freak; 19 July 2006 at 08:23 PM.
Old 19 July 2006, 11:34 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Freak
You have to clear immigration at your first point of entry, but bags can be checked through. Not always though! Depends on a whole host of things- as with anything to do with US entry/immigration/customs, nothing is simple.

Have been to the US 9 times so far in 2006 myself, although i personally dont trust baggage handlers as far as I could throw them (not very far at all ) !

Oh another top tip for you...

If they put priority tags on your bags (assuming you are flying business class) then note that they often get loaded first, therefore coming off last. Happens to me all the time! Sometimes they get put to one side, then dont get loaded on the plane at all!
You may not want to have the tags on.
You bags are checked through - but you have to collect them and take them through customs where they are transferred. The only time you don't is if you are travelling on to a different country and staying airside.

This has been true for me in Washington, Boston, Chicago, LA and Dallas. Of course coming back your bags are checked through and you never see them.

Check with US Customs if you like - but this is the law and if you don't pay attention Deputy Dawg will be after you

Agree that priority tags have helped me miss my transfers!!!
Old 19 July 2006, 11:49 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Markus,

Rannoch
You know what David, you might have a point there. Maybe I did collect my luggage (alas not made of sapient pearwood so it would not move around by itself ) and go through customs on first landing at Raleigh. It's been a few years since I actually did that trip, usually went direct to STL.

Maybe I was thinking of internal US flights?

Last edited by Markus; 19 July 2006 at 11:51 PM.
Old 20 July 2006, 12:36 AM
Freak
Scooby Regular

You bags are checked through - but you have to collect them and take them through customs where they are transferred. The only time you don't is if you are travelling on to a different country and staying airside.

This has been true for me in Washington, Boston, Chicago, LA and Dallas. Of course coming back your bags are checked through and you never see them.

Check with US Customs if you like - but this is the law and if you don't pay attention Deputy Dawg will be after you

Agree that priority tags have helped me miss my transfers!!!
aaah
well, I rarely have any connections anyway. Normally straight to JFK and then any internals on different days.

Knew they could be checked through, but never had to put it into practice as I have always refused. Didnt know you had to collect then stick them on again. Kind of pointless checking them through if you have to collect them and deposit again!
Like I said, I dont trust the checking through system as there are so many variables that can go **** up and leave you luggage less.
Old 20 July 2006, 08:37 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Freak
aaah
well, I rarely have any connections anyway. Normally straight to JFK and then any internals on different days.

Knew they could be checked through, but never had to put it into practice as I have always refused. Didnt know you had to collect then stick them on again. Kind of pointless checking them through if you have to collect them and deposit again!
Like I said, I dont trust the checking through system as there are so many variables that can go **** up and leave you luggage less.
When I said you can check them through coming back and never see them - I should have said never see them again!!! Especially coming through JFK where all baggage is xrayed and the mob make off with anything bags of remote interest