Loads of Flies

Search this Thread

Old 19 July 2006, 11:04 AM
windyboy
Scooby Regular

Location: Working in Belfast and living in Bangor, N'orn I'ron
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loads of Flies

Came out of the gym last night at about 10pm and was just getting into my car and noticed the roof looked a bit wierd, upon closer inspection I discovered that the roof and bonnet were covered in hundred's of flies . They were not the normal house flies or bluebottle's but things that looked like ants with wings and were just sitting there. After thinking to myself "WTF" and looking around the few cars that were still in the carpark didn't appear to have any flies on them - just mine. So I jumped into in the car, not because I was scared but I just didn't want any getting in and buzzing around and distracting me whilst I was driving home. To my suprise some of the flies had clung on and were still on the car when I got home.

Has anybody else ever had this experience or know why they liked my car so much ?? It was just really wierd to see so many files in one place.

Windyboy
Old 19 July 2006, 11:06 AM
GrahameS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by windyboy
Came out of the gym last night at about 10pm and was just getting into my car and noticed the roof looked a bit wierd, upon closer inspection I discovered that the roof and bonnet were covered in hundred's of flies . They were not the normal house flies or bluebottle's but things that looked like ants with wings and were just sitting there. After thinking to myself "WTF" and looking around the few cars that were still in the carpark didn't appear to have any flies on them - just mine. So I jumped into in the car, not because I was scared but I just didn't want any getting in and buzzing around and distracting me whilst I was driving home. To my suprise some of the flies had clung on and were still on the car when I got home.

Has anybody else ever had this experience or know why they liked my car so much ?? It was just really wierd to see so many files in one place.

Windyboy
Just flying ants..

They seemed to be attracted to my girlfriends car the other day too and no-one elses.

They only usually come out a few times a year when it's hot, but when they do there's loads of them!!
Old 19 July 2006, 04:06 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Like most insects, they see in the ultra viloet range, so any colour that reflects a lot of uv will attract them.

I have two bright, almost fluorescent yellow footy shirts I use for working in when it's cooler, and you should see insects go for those especially bees and wasps

Alcazar
Old 19 July 2006, 04:08 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

The misses old yellow saxo used to attract them alot in the summer. Never found them on any other car that Ive owned yet though.
Old 19 July 2006, 05:08 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Thought you were going to talk about that book with the school kids stranded on that Island
Old 19 July 2006, 05:13 PM
Notorious
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gridlock Mikey
Thought you were going to talk about that book with the school kids stranded on that Island
WOuld the title not have read "Lord of the flies" then??
Old 19 July 2006, 05:49 PM
wrc350
Scooby Regular

got the bloody things in my house, just used ant killer in spray, seem to do the trick, about choked the old woman while i was doing it but thats another story
Old 20 July 2006, 11:01 AM
windyboy
Scooby Regular

Location: Working in Belfast and living in Bangor, N'orn I'ron

Originally Posted by Notorious
WOuld the title not have read "Lord of the flies" then??
I thought about it but decided against it, if I was to take a load of kids to an island I would be called Capt Peado Birdseye

Windyboy.
Old 21 July 2006, 12:42 AM
speed demoness
Scooby Regular

my yellow firestorm ( motorbike) always attracts the pesky little blighters too...always wondered the exact reason.. now I know !!!!! ty !

we are plagued with flies at the moment tho... went in the kitchen before.. after having had all the windows/doors open all day.. and we counted about 20 of those small annoying little ***** over the walls and ceiling
out with the flip flops and tea towels trying to splat em all !!!!!!

i'll be glad to get to Greece in a few weeks time... all the heat... none of the flies !!!!!!!