Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Here we go again: teachers

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2006, 04:46 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Here we go again: teachers

Children at a junior school in York are to be sent home early because of the hot weather.

"The head teacher at Scarcroft School - where temperatures have reached 32C (90F) in some classrooms - has told parents it will close at lunchtime on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. "

Never slow off the mark to grasp a good slacking opportunity. How feckin typical

Nobody else I know is allowed to clock off at lunchtime because of the heat. Where was the consultation the people who pay their wages - ie me, and the parents of the children who will have to make provision for this at no notice whatsoever? Pathetic!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/5189734.stm
Old 18 July 2006, 05:01 PM
RR
Scooby Regular

The LEA dont have to consult you, you dont pay their wages. We all pay there wages. I have children and you should be able at short notice to make provisions for its care, god forbid you would have to look after your own child, its a a school not a child minding service. The school makes the decission for the well being of your child if they did not do this you would be the first to complain, there damned if they do and there damned if they dont. Also if you dont like it go to another school, parents stick there noses to much into school policy at times far to much.

Last edited by RR; 18 July 2006 at 05:06 PM.
Old 18 July 2006, 05:03 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

over 9000 posts, and every one treading a fine line between obsession and bull****.....

Old 18 July 2006, 05:08 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

15 years of schooling.Never did we go home because it was too hot/too cold.

Mind you,that was twenty years ago when people were normal
Old 18 July 2006, 05:15 PM
nickwrxstiV2
Scooby Regular

Trying to get the ch'n to work in classrooms that are 32C is a nightmare, trust me! It's just too hot and they all switch off!!!
Old 18 July 2006, 05:16 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

feckin wimps, the roads here are melting aswell, we had a World cup here not to long ago if you remember, and was anyone complaining? did the players say "sorry it is to hot to play" or did they get on with there jobs like normal people, Official heatwave conditions? whats all that bollox about then? we had temps in Cyprus like that for months on end not just a few days, did we take the day off coz it was to hot? are the soldiers in Iraq allowed time of because it is a tad warm? get a fecking grip. the same thing happens when there is a random snow flake, the infrastructure breaks down, all the schools heating systems break down, there are crashes etc the rest of the world manages to cope with the weather so why is the UK so feckin incompetent and whingy when the weather changes?
Old 18 July 2006, 05:19 PM
Lord Shrek
Scooby Regular

'The school makes the decission for the well being of your child'

You really believe that bull ****?

where have you been for the past decade?

Schools nowadays dont give a toss....all teachers are on the backfoot...the balance of power has shifted in favour of the children

this was probably an LEA decision so they wont get sued if a child faints..not for the well being of the child at all...we live in the compensation culture

unclebuck sees it for what it is unlike others who still believe paedophiles can be reformed and re-integrated back into society

case dismissed as always
Old 18 July 2006, 05:32 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

I am quite sure the teachers didn't have a say in this. Purely down to the "Management"
As with most places now-a-days schools have "management" that **** themselves at the slightest of things and cover their backs.
Most teachers probably had to work on.....but the sensible ones will take advantage and be sitting in their back gardens by now
Old 18 July 2006, 05:47 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Absolutely PG, whilst the teachers will be relieved to be able to finish work early and sunbathe, they will not have played a part in the decision.

If the head made the decision, which UB is quoting as the case, then shouldnt the thread be targeting head teachers?? That's only IF UB believes that it wasn't in the interests of the little ones (bless them) who are fit for nowt but **** when the weather is as hot as this (the hottest day of the millenium and possibly since records began)...
I wish my missus (who's a teacher) could've made a decision to walk out early today because I could have spent the afternoon sh@gging instead of failing my MOT
Old 18 July 2006, 05:52 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Wonder what the poor brown kids in africa do ? Get off the bus, see a thermometer with 47 degrees on it and then its off home to sunbathe, learning's not that important anyway.
Old 18 July 2006, 06:08 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Whether the kids are there or not, I can bet my pension the staff are!

Alcazar
Old 18 July 2006, 06:09 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by RR
The LEA dont have to consult you, you dont pay their wages. We all pay there wages. I have children and you should be able at short notice to make provisions for its care, god forbid you would have to look after your own child, its a a school not a child minding service. The school makes the decission for the well being of your child if they did not do this you would be the first to complain, there damned if they do and there damned if they dont. Also if you dont like it go to another school, parents stick there noses to much into school policy at times far to much.
RR please don't take this the wrong way but methinks your literary skills need a little 'schooling'. Sorry for the diversion.
Old 18 July 2006, 06:18 PM
nufc1892
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
RR please don't take this the wrong way but methinks your literary skills need a little 'schooling'. Sorry for the diversion.
Can we not have a thread where the " i'm so good at English, i have to point out everyone's mistake's" brigade start bleating. FFS.
Old 18 July 2006, 06:24 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by nufc1892
Can we not have a thread where the " i'm so good at English, i have to point out everyone's mistake's" brigade start bleating. FFS.
Well at least you didn't sneak up this time. In reply to your question, the irony was too delicious to resist!
Old 18 July 2006, 06:26 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lozgti
15 years of schooling.Never did we go home because it was too hot/too cold.

Mind you,that was twenty years ago when people were normal
Exactly! I sat in classrooms and baked and I sat in 'temporary' classrooms that were so cold I couldn't feel my feet. I went to a seriously dodgy comprehensive - but there was discipline and we paid attention - we knew what would happen if we didn't.

32 degrees isn't too hot - it's uncomforatble - but not life threatening. All this shows kids is that if things get tough there's always a way out.

I know exactly what it's like to keep a room full of people engaged when it's hot, sticky and unpleasant - and it can be done - it just requires a little more imagination and effort.
Old 18 July 2006, 06:27 PM
nufc1892
Scooby Regular

Well at least you didn't sneak up this time. In reply to your question, the irony was too delicious to resist!
Old 18 July 2006, 06:29 PM
Castrol
Scooby Regular

Nobody else I know is allowed to clock off at lunchtime because of the heat.
And the Teachers won't be allowed to either. The children are leaving early, but the staff are staying on. Most Schools will be closed by Friday anyway; surely not big deal...? *Neat lead in to let UB have a jolly good moan about the length of staff holidays *
Old 18 July 2006, 06:48 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

UB and all the others can moan about holidays all they like......

And I'll watch the entire whinge-fest on my laptop, whilst enjoying the VERY long time I've got off until September.

Enjoy your Summer

Dan
Old 18 July 2006, 06:55 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Drunken Bungle *****
it just requires a little more imagination and effort.
Two elements completely non-existent in today's PC 'deferred success' education system.

No doubt the little blighters will learn a lot about how to 'behave' in order to get their own way from this though as they frolic in the sunshine.
Old 18 July 2006, 06:55 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
UB and all the others can moan about holidays all they like......

And I'll watch the entire whinge-fest on my laptop, whilst enjoying the VERY long time I've got off until September.

Enjoy your Summer

Dan
I'm off till september as well you know...

Old 18 July 2006, 06:58 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Castrol
And the Teachers won't be allowed to either. The children are leaving early, but the staff are staying on.
To do what? Put their feet up in the sun and drink cold drinks 'till 'knocking off' time, whilst having a jolly good chortle about getting paid to do nothing no doubt. A fine example they set. lol
Old 18 July 2006, 06:59 PM
Castrol
Scooby Regular

I broke up on the 7th (College Lecturer), but my Wife has to last out until Thursday.

Now, what will I do tomorrow? Possibly the same as today: lie in, late breakfast, enjoy the Sun in the garden with the Dogs whilst surfing the Net, Pub lunch, nice drive in the country, few glasses of wine in the garden (to wind down) until Dinner this evening with my Wife... It's hard.
Old 18 July 2006, 07:01 PM
Castrol
Scooby Regular

Oh, and I'm off until September too!
Old 18 July 2006, 07:14 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

An aside perhaps, though sort of related, has anyone else noticed that not so long ago when the weather was going to be warm the presenter came on the TV and said something like "good news for everyone it's going to be another great day tomorrow."

Now there is a big red warning triangle with a phone number you can call for the NHS and the forecast is littered with terms which indicate that death and destruction is close at hand.

I can't help but think that there is something not quite right about all of this and it also totally undermines any confidence we might have had in the broadcaster and the forecast as, lets face it, 99.9% of people are enjoying the mild weather.
Old 18 July 2006, 07:23 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

With a little more "imagination and effort" all you slackers who have a couple of months off could do something productive with it rather than hanging around a car nerd internet site.

Old 18 July 2006, 07:56 PM
nufc1892
Scooby Regular

Teachers,worse than the kid's for skiving.
Old 18 July 2006, 08:07 PM
nickwrxstiV2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
Absolutely PG, whilst the teachers will be relieved to be able to finish work early and sunbathe, they will not have played a part in the decision.

If the head made the decision, which UB is quoting as the case, then shouldnt the thread be targeting head teachers?? That's only IF UB believes that it wasn't in the interests of the little ones (bless them) who are fit for nowt but **** when the weather is as hot as this (the hottest day of the millenium and possibly since records began)...
I wish my missus (who's a teacher) could've made a decision to walk out early today because I could have spent the afternoon sh@gging instead of failing my MOT
The staff would have to stay in school, they wouldn't be able to go home and sunbathe! Again - don't think it's the teachers, more like the management of the school.
Old 18 July 2006, 08:45 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

lol @ UB
Old 18 July 2006, 08:49 PM
RR
Scooby Regular

It was the heat that made me perform so badly in the literary test i could not concentrate. Also the 4 week old baby screaming for a drink and the phone ringing made me have to vent my point quickly without being able to vet my post. I am sorry.

But so what i started work at 8am and was done for 1pm not bad for £32k a year and i dont need to be able to spell very well to earn it.

Last edited by RR; 19 July 2006 at 02:53 PM.
Old 18 July 2006, 09:18 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by RR
It was the heat that made perform so badly in the literary test i could not concentrate. Also the 4 week old baby screaming for a drink and the phone ringing made me have to vent my point quickly without being able to vet my post. I am sorry.

But so what i started work at 8am and was done for 1pm not bad for £32k a year and i dont need to be able to spell very well to earn it.

That's better.

Last edited by Maz; 18 July 2006 at 09:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Here we go again: teachers