Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

want to start fishing again any starter sets etc for sale?

Search this Thread

Old 15 July 2006, 09:12 PM
stringvest
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default want to start fishing again any starter sets etc for sale?

used to dolots when was 15 freshwater etc, went to see a m8 at a lake today and he pulled in a huge carp i was impressed anywayi kinda got the bug

if poss can a fresh water rod be used ona boat too (sea ) i suppose beach roads are completely different, i only ask as occasionally would want to do a bit of boat / sea fishing from jetty etc down by me
also

just scoured ebay no one selling anyused gear local to me

any advice?
Old 15 July 2006, 10:38 PM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

Try looking through your local free-ads, you're be better of buying some decent kit second hand, rather than buying some cheap starter outfit, that'll probably fall to pieces after a while, as for using fresh water gear on a boat, i would'nt recommend it, you'll get away with float fishing for mullet and small fish from the jetty though.
Old 15 July 2006, 10:47 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

As above have a look in free ads these cheap starter kits are wnak, I live in cornwall and the only people who buy them are emmits . I dug my rod out last week hopefully be going down mevagissey tommorrow get me rod wet. and maybe even get a bit of fishing done
Old 15 July 2006, 10:51 PM
richiewong
Twatful

Or get yourself down to a good tackle shop and tell them what you're looking for.

Personally use Daiwa rods and Shimano reels but haven't been fishing in an age.
Old 15 July 2006, 10:55 PM
richiewong
Twatful

If you're after carp and decide on carp rods/reels then they should be strong enough for a bit of pier work every now and again, just wash the salt water out.

Also remember to get a rod licence, from the post office, for any inland fishing.
Old 15 July 2006, 10:59 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Or a decent pair of running shoes
Old 16 July 2006, 10:00 AM
stringvest
Scooby Regular

pmsl

Trending Topics

Old 16 July 2006, 11:37 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Once you tried it as a young 'un, the wish usually comes back again

As someone said, go to a good tackle shop and take their advice, they are usually very helpful.

Les
Old 16 July 2006, 12:12 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

I can help as I used to work in one of N Londons better tackle shops.

I would syggest you need to firstly decide what you are going to fish for and how much you are willing to spend. The equipment needed to fish for big carp is very different to that used to fish for roach and small fish.

A good compromise is a heavy float road along the lines of the Drenna Super Tench. It can be used for light float work with lines down to 2.5lb ( possibly lower if you are gentle) but can handle heavier work float fishing for tench and carp in the margins.

Invest in a quality reel from Shimano or Daiwa. There are others brands but after running my own business repairing reels many years ago it was clear the Shimano and Daiwa products were the best engineered.

Also invest in quality line and hooks, do not skimp here , ever. SJ Clarke Matchline ( used to be Silstar) is excellent.

If you need any tips at all feel free to get intouch. I used to run a fishery, rubbed shoulders with the England team in my match fishing days and was in the angling press a fair bit in my youth and have done most disciplines of freshwater fishing from pole fishing for roach and skimmers, heavy feeder work, lots of chub and barbel fishing, and mainly heavy margin and surface fishing for big carp.

Fishing is one of the best challenges there is and once you master the techniques you can really set your sites on some serious goals. Like a 20lb carp etc.

Lastly avoid any started kits from Argos or online. They are normally utter rubbish and will hold you back.

If you want to fish for mainly carp and a bit of sea fishing then you could use a carp rod for both. I'll scan ebay and come up with some ideas.

AllanB
Old 16 July 2006, 12:18 PM
wah
Scooby Regular

Location: Stockport Cheshire Xbox Gamertag: Scooby WRX SMACS Member

Now that is help !!!!
Old 16 July 2006, 12:21 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Have a lllok at ebay items

If you want a cheapish real the Okuma stuff is reaosnable

Fox is better

This is a bit of a steal

This is what I'd go for though or a similar Shimano baitrunner but make sure its one of the larger models

AllanB
Old 16 July 2006, 12:42 PM
stringvest
Scooby Regular

thanks for that a fair few there

i kinda thought that a carp rod would do some light peer work etc too

scouring the free ads etc also theres a few adds for whole setups carp etc for 100 odd quid

but i cant help feeling i just want 1 or two rods and a little tackle box and off i go kinda thing, dont want all this masses of equipment breaking back etc lol

end of day i can walk down to the river by me its cool as one side of the road is fresh water and the other is sea

but we also potter about on a boat every now and then dropping a spinner in etc

any advice on telling one rod apart from another and quality from naff ?
Old 16 July 2006, 01:11 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Avoid unknown brands really. If you see something just drop me a mail and I'll be able to advise.

One pof the best ways to tell is to look the the rod rings and seat fittings. Most of the best rods use Fuji guides ( rod rings) and seat fittings. The quality fo the fishing and the join around the two seations will highlight and inferiro products

AllanB
Old 16 July 2006, 02:53 PM
Nicks VR4
Scooby Regular

As above dont buy tatt to use

I did and got covered in carbon fibre when the rod shattered casting and then the 2nd rod the reel seized up after hooking a very large carp and snapped the line

After that I took advise from the guys at the tackle shop and brought decent makes
Have a 2 rod carp set up inc 2 other rods used to feature find and use as marker the another rod is a beach caster to use a bait rocket plus all the other bits biffy bed chair pod bait alarms etc etc use to go to lakes and fish for 3-4 days at a time

If you get the bug it can cost you big money too
Old 16 July 2006, 03:00 PM
stringvest
Scooby Regular

ok looking at single rods now on ebay etc im looking mainly at carp rods etc, but for instance this one

after the length of the rod some say a weight, is that the max weight or something ? dont understand? that one sayd 2.75 lbs, my turds weigh more than that lol

theres one in paper 12ft 4 -6 oz, ???????

Last edited by stringvest; 16 July 2006 at 03:03 PM.
Old 16 July 2006, 03:01 PM
speye91
Scooby Regular

Went fishing in January, was -3 degres on the River Wear , Slight covering of snow about 1 inch.But it kept the cans cold,cracking day it was too ,first time fishing can't wait to do it again.

Mick
Old 16 July 2006, 03:14 PM
Nicks VR4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stringvest
ok looking at single rods now on ebay etc im looking mainly at carp rods etc, but for instance this one

after the length of the rod some say a weight, is that the max weight or something ? dont understand? that one sayd 2.75 lbs, my turds weigh more than that lol

theres one in paper 12ft 4 -6 oz, ???????
Thats the test curve

Test curve is a guide to rod power and action. It is a function of both, and it is usually taken to be the weight in pounds and ounces needed to pull the tip of a rod round to 90 degrees to the butt. It is obvious why test curve was adopted. Just like length of a rod, it is handy to have a measurement that can tell you something about the power of a rod. It can be measured in a number of ways, but simplest is to imagine a rod, clamped by its handle in a horizontal position, a few feet off the ground. With line threaded through the rings, you attach a weight close to the tip ring. Start off with 1lb on a rod assumed to be say 2lb test curve. The rod will now bend under the weight, the tip moving lower, and a curve developing throughout the rod. To measure test curve you simply add weight until the tip is at right angles to the butt section. Another option is to use a spring balance to load applied as you increasing the pull at right angles to the butt. So the test curve of the rod equals the weight applied, the load, to bring the tip to 90 degrees from the butt.

My rods are 12 foot 2 peice and 2 1/2 lbs test curve you need min of 2 1/2 lbs
Old 16 July 2006, 03:39 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Go the simple route and take up fly fishing, saves all this messing about with gear. Get yourself a reasonable quality rod, simple reel and fly line and all you need to add is a box of flies and some nylon. Apart from the rod you can literally carry all you need in one pocket. Life is so much easier that way.
Old 16 July 2006, 03:42 PM
stringvest
Scooby Regular

fly never really appealed to be honest m8 i prefer to just watch a float lol

what about this ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHAKESPEARE-MA...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SEA-FISHING-RO...QQcmdZViewItem

telescopic ?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-FISH...QQcmdZViewItem

to be fair i apreciate you get what you pay, i also apreciate for cheapness i should be seeking a used rod and reel on ebay but havent found one yet hence me thowing the above links up

Last edited by stringvest; 16 July 2006 at 04:22 PM.
Old 16 July 2006, 04:55 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Let me check my stuff I I've probably got some decent gear I just never use. gave a load away to charity not that long ago.

Forget telescopic rods, they are normally not very good.

The first one looked OK, not great though.

AllanB
Old 16 July 2006, 04:58 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Now this is a decent rod. Let me know if you don;t bid as I may snap it up myself

AllanB
Old 16 July 2006, 05:01 PM
stringvest
Scooby Regular

carry on m8, im hanging out for a rod and reel together, then all i have to do is get some tackle, that will prob be my next question on here once ive found a rod lol

oh and yes if you have some gear for sale m8 let me know

Last edited by stringvest; 16 July 2006 at 05:04 PM.
Old 16 July 2006, 06:16 PM
pauly
Scooby Regular

your right in saying you get what you pay for.
i have a couple of baitrunner reels (170006372878) exactly the same as this 1, it's about 8 or 9 years old now and still going like it was brand new.

personally i'd match it up with a 12ft 2 piece rod with about a 1 3/4lbs test curve. chuck about 6lb line on it and that will cover you for most stuff, bit of spinning, heavier float fishing, feeder fishing etc.. (you can always tie a lighter hooklength to the line)

it all depends on your target fish. if your going after big (20lb +) carp or pike then rod won't be strong enough over a sustained period.if your sitting on a canal catching roach ,dace etc then it will be to heavy. if however you just want a bit of kit that will do most things well i'd go for something like above.

going from my experience
i'd look for reels made by shimano, daiwa ,abu
rods by daiwa, abu, shakespear
and don't save money on line or hooks that is the stuff that fails more than anything else so buy the best you can.

my 2ps worth
Old 16 July 2006, 06:21 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

If you can find one second hand there is a rod called an ABU Cobra. Its not very slim of light but its amazingly versatile and powerful but with a soft enough tip to be used for light floatfishing to heavy tench fishing. Don't hesitate to buy one if you come across it.

Drennan Super Tench gets my vote for a modern version.

AllanB
Old 16 July 2006, 06:25 PM
pauly
Scooby Regular

excellent choice sir.
the drennan super tench
Old 16 July 2006, 07:35 PM
stringvest
Scooby Regular

so whats a coarse rod? just seenone advertised

caled my friend he said a carprod ok for light seaas long as dont lift the fish out of the water ??? thats no good then surely?
Old 16 July 2006, 07:50 PM
pauly
Scooby Regular

coarse rod is for coarse fishing
Old 16 July 2006, 07:50 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by pauly
excellent choice sir.
the drennan super tench
I have the first version of this, the Drennan Tench float. It's not much cop for trotting, with having a bit of a through action, but it's excellent at most other stuff. Highly recommended.
Old 16 July 2006, 07:51 PM
pauly
Scooby Regular

sorry couldn't resist

coarse fishing is rivers and lakes canals, not sea or trout
Old 16 July 2006, 07:56 PM
stringvest
Scooby Regular

this is confusing lol

shall i just look for a cheap sea rod and reel and a cheap carp rod / reel??

if a carp rod isnt strong enough to lift a sea fish out of the water looks like im going to have to

Quick Reply: want to start fishing again any starter sets etc for sale?