Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Double Glazing Prices in Scotland...

Search this Thread

Old 15 July 2006, 07:13 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Double Glazing Prices in Scotland...

Looking @ doing 7 windows varying from 8ft x 4ft to 4 ft x 4ft

My worry is calling and getting a @rse round the house for ages and going through the motions - no time and a short fuse so could get messy.

Ideally want to hear from anyone thats had a good exp in Scotland and who can suggest a good (read: fair priced) company to do the work.

Some other threads I'm searching now but sticking this on the off chance up.

Thanks guys
Old 15 July 2006, 07:53 PM
bobsabuilder
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look in your local phone book / Yellow pages for "Double Glazing Manufacturers" and select a smallish company not too far from you. Call round in person and speak to them face to face. Tell them you've started doing property renovations and want a local company to do all your window work. You should get a pretty good price and without all that sales bollox!
You might have to call to a couple of firms to find the right one for you.

As a ballpark figure, an 8' wide by 4' high window to lastest building regs will be ~£200 and a 4' x 4' window in the region of £125.
As for fitting, factor on an extra 20 - 25% to cover that.

Bob
Old 15 July 2006, 08:19 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Gold Seal windows done mine in my old house got 8 standard windows, a bay which consisted of 3 seperate panes & a front door for 4k
Old 15 July 2006, 09:48 PM
amazinggrace
Super Muppet

Location: Little Green Men, come from Mars, look they've stolen all my bra'''''s'''''!'''''''

Ring a local glass manufacturer and ask them for a recommendation for a company in your area. If you ask them for a glass quote first you can compare it to what the fitting company quote

Ask them for DGU, pilks K, toughened at each of your sizes (say them in metric tho!) and that should be the max price you pay for glass, anything above that pays for the upvc/wood units and fitting, and of course there big fat mark up (ours was 33.3%!)
Old 15 July 2006, 11:16 PM
lampshade
Scooby Newbie

I make UPVC windows and have a couple of pointers for you m8.

Make sure the plastic profile is atleast 65mm pref 70mm (55mm is cheap stuff put in offices and on trading estates)

Only go for internally rubber glazed windows deffo' not sticky foam (any burgalar could take out the glass unit in a couple of minutes)

If you are worried about security, make sure all the downstairs windows are fully re-inforced with galvanised steel, dont forget the vent's (openings) need to be re-inforced too.

Use a local company and ask who makes the windows (most just sell windows and dont make them themselves) Swish and Re-hau {sp} are two of the biggest and best made UPVC windows.

Dont pay any extra for K-glass, as it's now an industry standard.

And finally how much to pay?????
Dead simple really, how much is it worth to you??? If your happy with the price and product dont wory about it Some ppl will pay less some will pay more LOL
Old 16 July 2006, 10:00 AM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bobsabuilder
Look in your local phone book / Yellow pages for "Double Glazing Manufacturers" and select a smallish company not too far from you. Call round in person and speak to them face to face. Tell them you've started doing property renovations and want a local company to do all your window work. You should get a pretty good price and without all that sales bollox!
You might have to call to a couple of firms to find the right one for you.

As a ballpark figure, an 8' wide by 4' high window to lastest building regs will be ~£200 and a 4' x 4' window in the region of £125.
As for fitting, factor on an extra 20 - 25% to cover that.

Bob
Thanks Bob.. sounds VERY tempting if I can deliver the install for those prices...
Old 16 July 2006, 10:02 AM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lampshade
I make UPVC windows and have a couple of pointers for you m8.

Make sure the plastic profile is atleast 65mm pref 70mm (55mm is cheap stuff put in offices and on trading estates)

Only go for internally rubber glazed windows deffo' not sticky foam (any burgalar could take out the glass unit in a couple of minutes)

If you are worried about security, make sure all the downstairs windows are fully re-inforced with galvanised steel, dont forget the vent's (openings) need to be re-inforced too.

Use a local company and ask who makes the windows (most just sell windows and dont make them themselves) Swish and Re-hau {sp} are two of the biggest and best made UPVC windows.

Dont pay any extra for K-glass, as it's now an industry standard.

And finally how much to pay?????
Dead simple really, how much is it worth to you??? If your happy with the price and product dont wory about it Some ppl will pay less some will pay more LOL
Interesting. Cheers guys

Trending Topics

Old 16 July 2006, 02:45 PM
bobsabuilder
Scooby Regular

I buy a fair few windows for my own projects and for customers projects and I use a local manufacturer. Those prices I qouted are typical of what I pay for white windows. They're good quality units, steel reinforced, double saracen (?) locking claws on doors, K glass, Fire hinges at no extra cost etc etc.
As an example, just ordered 2 @ 1800x1200, 1 @ 1400x1200(safety glass) & a front door 945x2450(with window above). I have to remove the existing concrete window cills and brick up to the new window cills.
My price to the customer to supply and fit them is £1000 and will be completed in a day with the help of a labourer.

There are huge profits in double glazing which is why so many companies are selling them!

Bob