Ebay help

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2006, 12:45 AM
Pistol_Pete
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay help

Got a bit of a shock tonight.
I got a email from ebay telling me that I had won an item although I had not made a bid on it, although I did look at the item earlier on in the day.

Either something has gone seriously wrong with Ebay or my three year old son has fiddled with my laptop ( I know, I know )
Ive contacted the seller and explained that I did not bid on the item and explained that I have asked ebay to investigate this for me ( which I have done )

The item was for £350 and to be honest I really cant afford it at the moment and so the question is can Ebay force me to complete the transaction ? What can they do ? I dont mind losing my ebay account but do they pursue you through the courts for money ?

One other thing and I dont know if this makes any difference. They did not send a bid confirmed email to me.

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.
Old 10 July 2006, 12:53 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

You will have to rely on the seller believing you and not giving negative feedback and a strike.........

How can a 3yr old log on with your username and type in your password?

My dog tried it once but couldn't guess my password
Old 10 July 2006, 01:03 AM
Pistol_Pete
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatherpierre
You will have to rely on the seller believing you and not giving negative feedback and a strike.........

How can a 3yr old log on with your username and type in your password?

My dog tried it once but couldn't guess my password

Assuming it was him, he may have used the back button on IE, I got distracted and left the laptop on unattended. I know it was stupid.
As I said I dont mind the negative feedback or even the account being closed - Its the money that I cannot afford thats my main concern.
Old 10 July 2006, 02:38 AM
bpm1588
Scooby Regular

is the item in your" my ebay " page when you sign in? if it is not in the " items you have won " section dont worry about it.
this has happened to me but as a seller, i have had people pay for a item that they have not even won!i just refunded the money and mailed item too the real winner.i guess sometimes ebay's system goes nuts!
but like you say if your son has bid and won the item it will be in your " items you've won " list and it would be up to you to sort it out,nobody likes neg feedback so i'd be nice to the seller and offer him his listing fee's,he can do a mutual agreement and if both of you agree to this he will get his final listing fees back as well
Old 10 July 2006, 04:50 AM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't worry about it, no-one is going to pursue you for 350 quid if you say you didn't want / didn't intentionally bid on the item. eBay accounts are hi-jacked all the time and at the end of the day if your bid was accidental, unintentional, or due to a hacker / young child / pet then you can just put it down as a mistake. The seller won't be charged by eBay for the sale if you both mutually decide to cancel the transaction.

Although I recommend you are nice to the seller, you won't have to shell out the cash no matter the sellers view on the situation.
Old 10 July 2006, 07:17 AM
Miss Kinky
Scooby Regular

Location: Be who you are and say what you feel. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

is it too late to retract your bid...?
Old 10 July 2006, 07:52 AM
Big Den
Scooby Regular

m8

Sounds like just another spoof/spam email that comes as part of ebay. I've had quite a few of these recently although, the "your account details need confirmed" seems to be the more common. Just forward the mail to spoof@ebay.co.uk - you'll normally get 2 mails back, one acknowledging receipt & another confirming it was a spoof.

HTH

Den
Old 10 July 2006, 08:27 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Would it show up on "Items Sold" on seller's listing yet?
Old 10 July 2006, 08:54 PM
bpm1588
Scooby Regular

it does cost to list an item,yes you can get the final listing fee's back but not the listing fee. there's nothing more anoying for a seller than having something listed for a week and then somebody gets back and says" sorry there was a mistake,i dont want the item"

Originally Posted by 2000TLondon
I wouldn't worry about it, no-one is going to pursue you for 350 quid if you say you didn't want / didn't intentionally bid on the item. eBay accounts are hi-jacked all the time and at the end of the day if your bid was accidental, unintentional, or due to a hacker / young child / pet then you can just put it down as a mistake. The seller won't be charged by eBay for the sale if you both mutually decide to cancel the transaction.

Although I recommend you are nice to the seller, you won't have to shell out the cash no matter the sellers view on the situation.
Old 10 July 2006, 08:56 PM
bpm1588
Scooby Regular

the second the auction ends the item and winning bidder will be in the items sold list

Originally Posted by David Lock
Would it show up on "Items Sold" on seller's listing yet?
Old 10 July 2006, 10:13 PM
teajunkie
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I get 100's of these type of fake emails every week trick is NEVER click on a link in an email just use your browser to go to ebay.

If youre using OE hover over the link and it will show the true url E.G. http://scg.ebay.co.uk

Never put in any user details into paypal or ebay unless the url starts with https://

But my top tip is never believe what your email tells you!
ALWAYS use your browser DONT be tempted just to click that link!
Old 10 July 2006, 10:35 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

No one has hijacked your account have they ?
Yve
Old 10 July 2006, 11:23 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

Ive had two spoof emails one was off ebat lucky i noticed the mistake in tiny writing and reported it to ebay considering i dont actually have a ebay account i use my mums lmao
Old 11 July 2006, 12:43 AM
Pistol_Pete
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Update.

Seller emailed me back today obviously not happy, moaning that this has cost him seven pounds. Im my email to him yesterday I suggested it might be worth him contacting the 2nd highest bidder, he informed me in his email that it was a buy it now transaction so this is not possible.

still havent heard anything from Ebay - probably never will knowing them.

I know its not the ebay fake email scam, it can only be some sort of failure/mix up of ebays software or the actions of a evil 3 year old.

I have offered as a goodwill gesture and without admitting anyform of liability to pay his relisting fees.

Thanks to everyone thats offered advice, I will let you know how it turns out.
Old 11 July 2006, 06:48 AM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Bung him £10-20 to say sorry and leave it at that. That seems fair to me.

But it sounds like someone may have hijacked your account too so report it to ebay and let the seller know you didn't bid on it yourself.

AllanB
Old 11 July 2006, 07:26 AM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not believe that a 3 year old could bid on an Ebay auction, unless you have shown him how to do this & he has bid before on items?

First, change your Ebay password & check your credit card transactions for any attached card.

Go to the help pages on the Ebay website, contact us, account security, continue, choose from list of problems, unauthorised bids on your account, then explain what happened. Afterwards, help, online security, account security, live help. Inform them that your account has been hijacked.

Don't pay the guy's relisting fees, just explain that your account was hijacked.