Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Sat Nav and Speed Cameras -Snooper Indago

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2006, 11:07 AM
scoobyrob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sat Nav and Speed Cameras -Snooper Indago

Looking to buy a sat nav and speed camera detector, can only find the Snooper Indago that does both. Are they any good and also do they pick up all cameras including speed guns?? or is there another product out there???advice required please.

rob
Old 28 June 2006, 11:44 AM
Jap Import
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyrob
Looking to buy a sat nav and speed camera detector, can only find the Snooper Indago that does both. Are they any good and also do they pick up all cameras including speed guns?? or is there another product out there???advice required please.

rob
Get a palm top running windows mobile.
You can multitask then. Run both camera detection and GPS
Old 28 June 2006, 11:52 AM
scoobyrob
Scooby Regular

Question

yeah but a palm top wont pick up a laser gun?

rob
Old 28 June 2006, 11:58 AM
Jap Import
Scooby Regular

Was'nt aware of that Rob, sorry.

You sure?
Old 28 June 2006, 12:33 PM
scoobyrob
Scooby Regular

im not 100% sure but don't pda's just use a database? can someone confirm this?
Old 28 June 2006, 04:00 PM
Quick-Change
Scooby Regular

Pdas do indeed use a database as do the snooper indago, the road angel navigator and the tomtoms, none of these have laser detectors on them.

You will only get a laser detector on a dedicated speed camera detector such as the original snoopers or road angels.

To be honest i am not sure the laser detector is worth while any how as i cant see how we would have the time to react one the gun is detected !

Hope this helps.
Old 28 June 2006, 04:07 PM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

my Tom Tom does both, but only the gatsos and not the hand held jobbies though

Trending Topics

Old 28 June 2006, 07:29 PM
AndyLyman
Scooby Regular

If you want laser detection as well .......

get a drive smart

http://www.drive-smart.co.uk

Andy
Old 28 June 2006, 09:10 PM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Snooper S6 Neo is 2 Detectors.

1 for lasers & the other for everything there is. You can set the laser for a mile away as Plod's latest, detect the dangerous villian machine, is set at that.

It's being discontnued so you should get a good deal.

Saved my "bottie" quite a few times and I can thoroughly reccommend it.

Good luck
Old 28 June 2006, 09:15 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyLyman
If you want laser detection as well .......

get a drive smart

http://www.drive-smart.co.uk

Andy
I presume you've got one andy?
I've just ordered one today, should have it and the laser detector tomorrow. Did a really good deal by going direct to Neil at Drive Smart. From what I've read, they're a very good piece of kit. Big thing is there's no updating cost, once you've bought it, it's yours with free updates for life. I had a road angel ages ago, and the updates were very slow to come through, whereas I've followed the forum on DS and updates are daily!
I'll post a thread about my experiences as soon as I've got it, it's a big unit as well, so looking to get a stealth install of some sorts in my MY03 sti.
Old 28 June 2006, 09:21 PM
BedHog
Scooby Regular

I was led to believe the laser detectors were fairly pointless as you can't pick the laser up till it hits your car, so by the time you get the warning they already have your speed. I could be wrong though

Have one on my Road Angel but it's never been triggered.

Last edited by BedHog; 28 June 2006 at 09:23 PM.
Old 28 June 2006, 10:29 PM
chris25uk
Scooby Regular

laser guns can get ya from 1000 metres, do these detectors pick it up before that? forward facing cameras can only be picked up by something that uses gps to. so many things out there now on the roads to look out for. my mates nav system gets on my ****, tells ya every red light and comes up with camera warnings where there aint even a camera, couldnt drive like that... annoying
Old 29 June 2006, 12:52 AM
T20Driver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cw42
I presume you've got one andy?
I've just ordered one today, should have it and the laser detector tomorrow. Did a really good deal by going direct to Neil at Drive Smart. From what I've read, they're a very good piece of kit. Big thing is there's no updating cost, once you've bought it, it's yours with free updates for life. I had a road angel ages ago, and the updates were very slow to come through, whereas I've followed the forum on DS and updates are daily!
I'll post a thread about my experiences as soon as I've got it, it's a big unit as well, so looking to get a stealth install of some sorts in my MY03 sti.
I've had one for over a year and it is excellent. You might need to get a ferrite coil from them (free) to put over the power lead if you get EMP interfence on the laser detector. I get it when the intercooler spray kicks in.

The unit s/w is fully customisable and updateable and the near daily camera location db updates are free.

One thing I have been pushing them for is the development of a remote repeater screen so that one can do a discrete install in the spare slot under the radio for example. I am confident they will get to it but currently they are just finishing off new s/w features for their Defender2 laser jammer product - purported to be one of, if not the best in the world as it jams all guns tested even in stealth mode without any jam codes appearing - as well as their 'yet to be formally announced' GPS based Satnav and camera location product called the DS Mercury ... http://www.drive-smart.co.uk/forum/v...r=asc&start=15 which is where this thread started !
Old 29 June 2006, 06:00 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

T20driver, I've seen your posts over on the DS forum, and figured you'd be on here somewhere I'm looking to see if I can install this in the top of the dash where the clock is somehow, I don't know if you've looked into this? Should be getting the unit today, may pop into the post office on the way to work
Old 29 June 2006, 06:54 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Got it! DS had sent it special delivery, so picked up today from my local delivery office Nice one DS
I'm going to start a new thread about ownership, I'll let you know how I get on.
Old 29 June 2006, 08:12 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BedHog
I was led to believe the laser detectors were fairly pointless as you can't pick the laser up till it hits your car, so by the time you get the warning they already have your speed. I could be wrong though

Have one on my Road Angel but it's never been triggered.
Have to agree - have one on my Originb2 and the only time it has gone off was when the cop was pointing the gun at me - which had I been speeding would have just served to tell me I was an idiot and reinforce the feeling of being gutted. In the end I took it off as it did nothing - and it would seem that because of the nature of the laser being so accurate, it cannot really pick up any scatter from cars targetted in front of you, thus has nothing to go until it is too late....
Old 29 June 2006, 09:10 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

I've started a thread on my DS ownership experience in electrical

Old 29 June 2006, 05:12 PM
T20Driver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cw42
T20driver, I've seen your posts over on the DS forum, and figured you'd be on here somewhere I'm looking to see if I can install this in the top of the dash where the clock is somehow, I don't know if you've looked into this? Should be getting the unit today, may pop into the post office on the way to work
I just have mine on the dashboard attached by a small amount of velcro above the clock with the antenae wrapped round the back of the unit. I believe you may now have the windscreen bracket with yours which I didn't get with mine as I've had it so long so you may have a better install. I also keep the usb cable attached all the time and intertwined in the power lead so that I simply do the camera updates in the car from my laptop without keep removing the unit.

PM me if you've ever got any usage questions.

BTW .. did you get the PulseMaster (number plate laser detector - not jammer) too ? I haven't bothered as though it would be too late unless using Veil or other product to use with it. I am also very interested to see whether I'd be able to fit a DF2 down by the plate though as there's not alot of room.

Oops .. just realised .. off topic .. apologies peoples.
Old 29 June 2006, 06:31 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

I think it's well worth getting the windscreen mount, nice sturdy bit of kit
Got the pulsemaster, see my other thread for the scratching my head moment