Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Should I make a proper complaint about an officer of the law?

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2006, 04:31 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I make a proper complaint about an officer of the law?

Hi All.

Today I was oustide my local area, and in Liverpool where I was stopped for having 'illegal' numberplates on my car

on getting out of the car, I had no Idea why he had stopped me, as I walked round the back of the car to meet him, he pointed at my plates and said 'thats illegal'

i argued the toss about it, and said that I had been stopped before with these plates on and had no problem with them because they were legal. I.e. legal font, legal borders and spacing, the only difference with my plate is that I only have 4 digits on the plate, so I had removed the excess reflective material leaving the legal border.

I told him that I had asked an officer previously and he had said that they were fine, he asked for name and collar, i couldnt supply on the spot.

I told him to get his tape measure out. he took a pic with his phone, showing nothing to scale

I asked to see his 'book' that clearly states the law, he said that he hadnt been issued with one, and he doesnt have to have one (so how does he know the law? )

I asked him to check, on more than one occasion, he replied that he didnt need to.

I asked him how many Rover 75's, Rolls Royces and Range Rovers he had pulled that had excess material (his point had moved on to that it wasnt the standard size backing)
he replied 'two' , I said you must have seen more than two, he said it was down to time and resources

He said he would issue a vdra, and i would need it stamping once I had had my plates changed, to which I replied that i wouldnt need to change them because they were legal, he than changed his stance to that he would give me a producer and send the pic to dvla and send me a summons IF he was right when he checked back at base

he was a right **** about the plates then went all nice and smug when I had signed the producer

I came home, armed with the net and a tape measure just to check again, and they are legal.

I have to make a formal complaint in writing, this has really ticked me off, not just wasted 45 mins there, but i feel as if he should be taught a lesson for being an ar$e with me, using the 'I have the power trip' stance when it was totaly uncalled for, he could have said that he had stopped me to see who was driving, and asked me a few questions and had a bit of banter which I usually do when I run into the law(which isnt that often), makes it easier for both, but this holier than thou attitude does my head in.

what would you do? let it lie?
Old 27 June 2006, 04:38 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Let it lie.

Had never been pulled over in the Scooby untill one day i got done for speeding.

The officer took an incorrect statement, so i complained about him.

Since then i have been pulled over 5-6 times, been followed 10 miles down a motorway by the police more than once, and finished off by being locked in a cell for 3.5 hours on suspision of murder!!!! (which they later apologised for)

Don't compalin, it won't get you anywhere!!!
Old 27 June 2006, 04:41 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You both sound a bit childish, from the above. But in the end, you were right; so complain
Old 27 June 2006, 04:41 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

I agree, its not worth the hassel, had my run in before with the law and came close to making a complaint but the £80 fine was going to be an easier way to get rid of the headache than arguing it....

Depends how hard headed you are I suppose.
Old 27 June 2006, 04:43 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
You both sound a bit childish, from the above. But in the end, you were right; so complain
How do i sound childish?
Old 27 June 2006, 04:44 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Wasnt he directing his post to 500?
Old 27 June 2006, 04:45 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by davegtt
Wasnt he directing his post to 500?
His post says we both sound childish

Trending Topics

Old 27 June 2006, 04:48 PM
J4CK50N
Scooby Regular

Location: From : somewhere between here & there - also at wyioc.co.uk - are you?

I think he meant him and the police officer not you mate.

Thats how i read it anyways!

suspected of murder? They did not like you did they?!!!
Old 27 June 2006, 04:50 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by J4CK50N
I think he meant him and the police officer not you mate.

Thats how i read it anyways!

suspected of murder? They did not like you did they?!!!
Lol, wasn't one of my better experiences of life.

Then released me on bail for 8 weeks. When i went back they said ''sorry, we should have phoned you a few weeks ago to advise you are in the clear, but we have been very busy. Sorry''
Old 27 June 2006, 04:53 PM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

i would query any costs that you may have incurred?? If you have no fine etc issued, then forget it, not worth getting their backs up.

Now the Friday before last we were all in central Brum for a mates 30th, one of my best friends, while attempting to ask a taxi driver to take him home got pulled out of the taxi (window) and thrown to floor by a policeman, this resulted in 9 stitches to his head and a night in hospital. Even he was unsure whether to take the situation further. Fortunately two of the coppers colleagues saw the incident and as far as I know have taken the matter very seriously indeed (the fact it was on a Night Club CCTV may be the real reason) but it makes you think.
Old 27 June 2006, 04:53 PM
J4CK50N
Scooby Regular

Location: From : somewhere between here & there - also at wyioc.co.uk - are you?

Police Officers - same as mosts things unfortunately, some good, some bad!

Shouldnt tar em all though as have come across some good guys!

Saying that have also come across some not so good guys!

Least you werent charged! lol
Old 27 June 2006, 04:55 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

I too have a 4 short cherished numbers that have smaller than 'normal' plates, although the 5 digits are correctly spaced on each plate, and the borders conform. They are legal according to when I looked it up.

Personally I'd write and sort it, but then I have the time to be arséd to do that.
Old 27 June 2006, 04:56 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

Two points here:

1. Trust ANY copper about as far as you could chuck him AND his car!

2. Since 99% of coppers will go after YOU, if you are in the wrong, why NOT make a complaint?

Alcazar
Old 27 June 2006, 04:56 PM
Eddie Temple
BANNED

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
Let it lie.
Are you demented? This is proposterous advice.

In my line of work the copper would be seen to, but in this young man's case the best thing he can do is make a full and formal complaint. Make life difficult for the impudent little peeler. Some of these policemen forget that they are not the ones who make the world turn and they need to be reminded of this every now and then, one way or another.
Old 27 June 2006, 04:57 PM
pete1977
Scooby Regular

Fookin right complain or else the sad little **** will just keep doing it.What a sorry state of affairs when people stop complaining because there scared of reprisals by the force that are there to protect us in the first place.Stand your ground and get it done.
Old 27 June 2006, 04:58 PM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Two points here:

2. Since 99% of coppers will go after YOU, if you are in the wrong, why NOT make a complaint?

Alcazar
So true, last time I took advise from one, it resulted in a warrant for my arrest being issued
Old 27 June 2006, 05:02 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

what exactly are you going to complain about? that he was wrong with regards your plate? or his attitude?
Old 27 June 2006, 05:06 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Eddie Temple
Are you demented? This is proposterous advice.

In my line of work the copper would be seen to, but in this young man's case the best thing he can do is make a full and formal complaint. Make life difficult for the impudent little peeler. Some of these policemen forget that they are not the ones who make the world turn and they need to be reminded of this every now and then, one way or another.
Complaining about him is very unlikely to make him change his ways, probably won't even get spoken to.

In a perfect world you would complain and he would get bollocked and learn his lesson, but that isn't going to happen (unfortunatly)
Old 27 June 2006, 05:11 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by The Snug Rhino
what exactly are you going to complain about? that he was wrong with regards your plate? or his attitude?
I would imagine a letter to simply highlight that an officer of the law is going around with incorrect knowledge of the number plate regulations, would suffice.

There isn't a need to get shítty, however there is a need to educate this particular officer.
Old 27 June 2006, 05:22 PM
rdraper
Scooby Regular

Dont think id make a complaint personally.

Last edited by rdraper; 27 June 2006 at 05:45 PM.
Old 27 June 2006, 05:25 PM
KENSHIRO
Scooby Regular

Im afraid hes right dude he probably wont even know about the complaint .....ya could try goin to the papers makin out that they wasted resourses on an upstandin citiszen ...the papers love tht

i used to work 3 miles from my home on a sat job manys years ago when i has an astra 1.3

then one day i walked out the house wiv me butty box left it it on the car started the car to warm up .....hearded the cat an dog back in the house ...drove out of the gate ....then got out an shut the gate ....looked left looked right pulled out an 2 seconds later i get a woo wooo wooo so i pulled over turned the ignition off as normal ...looked in the wing mirror to see a copper runnin at the car openin the door an takin the keys ....shoutin you ******* you ******* .....so i said what ....he said dont give me tht you ****** ... then his m8 shouted its not him ....they both buggered off as fast asthey came an i was left sittin there thinkin what the hell.... so i made a complaint went down to the police station actually saw the copper behind the scenes pointed him out to a dry *** head copper behind the desk .....an left feelin a tit lol

for the nxt 6 weeks late or not for work i got pulled over and made late for a spot check on the car by the same copper ......i then sold the car to confuse them which it did he he

i sold it my dad for 300 quid lol
Old 27 June 2006, 05:31 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Note down the officers registration, wait in the police station car park and see what car he gets in to go home at the end of his shift. Follow it back to his house.

Nuff said

Wait are we talking about real life again
Old 27 June 2006, 05:32 PM
NAF
Support Scoobynet!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol Bet he loved you for that Kenshiro
Old 27 June 2006, 05:52 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Moley - cross-posting, OP not you
Old 27 June 2006, 05:59 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Two points here:

Alcazar
What a load of bollocks.

Ignorance must be bliss.
Old 27 June 2006, 06:04 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

I feel you were right to be irritated by this policeman and I'd make the complaint on principle. If you're letter comes across as reasonable as your post, I'm sure the recipient will view it with sympathy.

Good luck
Old 27 June 2006, 06:05 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 500
Hi All.

Today I was oustide my local area, and in Liverpool where I was stopped for having 'illegal' numberplates on my car

on getting out of the car, I had no Idea why he had stopped me, as I walked round the back of the car to meet him, he pointed at my plates and said 'thats illegal'

i argued the toss about it, and said that I had been stopped before with these plates on and had no problem with them because they were legal. I.e. legal font, legal borders and spacing, the only difference with my plate is that I only have 4 digits on the plate, so I had removed the excess reflective material leaving the legal border.

I told him that I had asked an officer previously and he had said that they were fine, he asked for name and collar, i couldnt supply on the spot.

I told him to get his tape measure out. he took a pic with his phone, showing nothing to scale

I asked to see his 'book' that clearly states the law, he said that he hadnt been issued with one, and he doesnt have to have one (so how does he know the law? )

I asked him to check, on more than one occasion, he replied that he didnt need to.

I asked him how many Rover 75's, Rolls Royces and Range Rovers he had pulled that had excess material (his point had moved on to that it wasnt the standard size backing)
he replied 'two' , I said you must have seen more than two, he said it was down to time and resources

He said he would issue a vdra, and i would need it stamping once I had had my plates changed, to which I replied that i wouldnt need to change them because they were legal, he than changed his stance to that he would give me a producer and send the pic to dvla and send me a summons IF he was right when he checked back at base

he was a right **** about the plates then went all nice and smug when I had signed the producer

I came home, armed with the net and a tape measure just to check again, and they are legal.

I have to make a formal complaint in writing, this has really ticked me off, not just wasted 45 mins there, but i feel as if he should be taught a lesson for being an ar$e with me, using the 'I have the power trip' stance when it was totaly uncalled for, he could have said that he had stopped me to see who was driving, and asked me a few questions and had a bit of banter which I usually do when I run into the law(which isnt that often), makes it easier for both, but this holier than thou attitude does my head in.

what would you do? let it lie?
DEFINITELY COMPLAIN. Cops think they can do whatever they want and they tend to do just that. Find out who the Chief Constable and write dirctly to him(/her). Mention in the letter that if you have no joy you will refer the matter to the IPCC, and that will make them get their **** into gear. The tone of the complaint should be measured and restrained, after all no-one likes someone with 'angry man syndrome'...but deffo get it done, or else cops like this one will continue to behave in this manner with impunity.
Old 27 June 2006, 06:09 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Fatherpierre,

Am I correct in thinking complaints do get fed back and managed accordingly? One complaint in five years for example may be irrelevant, but if the PC was receiving regular letters then am I right to assume his senior officer would look to action this?

Cheers

James
Old 27 June 2006, 06:20 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
Fatherpierre,

Am I correct in thinking complaints do get fed back and managed accordingly? One complaint in five years for example may be irrelevant, but if the PC was receiving regular letters then am I right to assume his senior officer would look to action this?

Cheers

James
They are all fed back. There's no point writing to the Chief Constable or similar ACPO officer as they are all screened and sent right down the chain to the officer's inspector. So for a quicker complaint write the letter to "PC Blah's, Duty Officer".

If there's a torrent of complaints against one officer and they're all for similar things, then obviously it will be looked into. The thing with complaints is that it is also a sign of a proactive officer, who's doing his job.......... Once you've been a copper for a year or two, and are getting stuck in (not silly traffick issues, BTW) you should have a few complaints as people don't like getting arrested, even if they're 100% in the wrong and complain as a lame attempt and getting back at you.

Lastly, it's going to be the complainant's word against the officer's. If you can't prove your plates are legal, then what's the point?

It all sounds a bit petty on both parts from what I've read.

It must have been a quiet day in Liverpool, the officer was being a ****, or the complainant was giving it attitude and asking for it........ Who knows, other than 500 and the officer.
Old 27 June 2006, 07:40 PM
pete higham
Scooby Regular

Location: Salford & SMACS,,,,,,,,, and in the smacs muppets and numpty thread

put a complaint in

he was probably a scouser and heard your salford accent looked at your car/bus with its 22" wheels and thought you were a drug dealer

couldnt help myself (31 today )

Quick Reply: Should I make a proper complaint about an officer of the law?