Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Can electricital switchgear cause headaches?

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2006, 03:57 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can electricital switchgear cause headaches?

On the other side of my office wall (which is made of standard brick) is the electric plant room which has the main electricity feed to the building in it and loads of junction boxes, you know, the ones with the big handles you just can't help but want to pull on! These boxes are bolted on to the other side of the single skin brick wall , and are about 3 feet away from my head!

Recently i have started to get headaches a lot late in the afternnon and evening but only on work days, which points to either my tft monitor , my eyesight (which i think is fine) or some sort of radiation from next door (if it;'s possible?)

Anyone any advice?

Avi
Old 27 June 2006, 03:58 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

What type of PC user are you, as in how many hours do you work with one?
Old 27 June 2006, 11:24 PM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

It could be a million things, get more sleep, drink more water, keep off the caffeine...

J
Old 27 June 2006, 11:32 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

I'm in IT Support so often spend the whole working day looking at a screen, I'm going to get my eyes tested and swap my current tft for a new one in case it's that. The guy who had my office before said his old CRT monitor used to distort when he had it there and he had to move it to the other side of the room. Unfortunately, moving my desk isn;t really an option.
Old 28 June 2006, 10:15 AM
fatharry
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Avi
On the other side of my office wall (which is made of standard brick) is the electric plant room which has the main electricity feed to the building in it and loads of junction boxes, you know, the ones with the big handles you just can't help but want to pull on! These boxes are bolted on to the other side of the single skin brick wall , and are about 3 feet away from my head!

Recently i have started to get headaches a lot late in the afternnon and evening but only on work days, which points to either my tft monitor , my eyesight (which i think is fine) or some sort of radiation from next door (if it;'s possible?)

Anyone any advice?

Avi
Could be from the switch gear. My sister in law suffers from headaches that she says are caused by eletrical products.
Shes been to the doctors who have said although they can't prove it, it may be true.
Old 28 June 2006, 10:59 AM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

There won't be radiation as such, just magnetism caused by eddy currents from the cables.

how big a building is it?
Old 28 June 2006, 11:07 AM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Avi
I'm in IT Support so often spend the whole working day looking at a screen, I'm going to get my eyes tested and swap my current tft for a new one in case it's that. The guy who had my office before said his old CRT monitor used to distort when he had it there and he had to move it to the other side of the room. Unfortunately, moving my desk isn;t really an option.

Change jobs.... for one that does not involve a Computer... TV's will have a similar effect on eyes...I just got used to it.... even though i spend 80% of my infront of these monitors...i have 4 on my desk..

Trending Topics

Old 28 June 2006, 12:24 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip Sengravy
There won't be radiation as such, just magnetism caused by eddy currents from the cables.

how big a building is it?
Big!! .. it's part of a hospital
Old 28 June 2006, 01:23 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You're in the right place then!

...I'll get my coat.

Seriously, you say "recently". How long have you been there, and when did the headaches start? If you were there for 6 mths without problem, then it looks less promising.
Old 28 June 2006, 01:32 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Originally Posted by Avi
Big!! .. it's part of a hospital

is it High Voltage?..i.e, big red cables in a room controlled by the leccy board?

even if its low voltage you can get some pretty meaty magnetic fields created depending on the load, and the way the cables are laid out. Certain ways of running big mains cables will help minimise eddy currents, others won't.

perhaps you are susceptible to being in close proximity to a magnetic field?

or perhaps you need to lay off the jahweed of an evening?
Old 28 June 2006, 01:34 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

You should call your department Health & Safety Officer or Rep and speak to them about Display Screen Equipment risk assessments, and the fact that you are now getting headaches...... more frequent break periods are required..