Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Calorie calculation and the gym - how...

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2006, 08:54 AM
milo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you are right

calorie calculations on gym equipment is just an estimate

some of the gym machines will allow you to enter your body weight and give u a more accurate estimate, but its still an estimate

if its lower bodyfat u want, its all about the diet
Old 27 June 2006, 02:10 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

you should never be hungry on a diet (of course u should never be full either)

you want to be eating small meals frequently and keeping your protein high. the fact that you're eating a 200 calorie breakfast and probably 100-200 calories from fruit at lunch means that you're starving your body... the fact that you're struggling and are hungry is a sure sign that you've slowed your metabolism down, which is never a good thing
Old 27 June 2006, 02:40 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Eat Benzedrine Do not follow this advice
Old 27 June 2006, 02:43 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

"She said thats not how it works and that if she did the same time and distance on a rowing machine etc as me she would burn the same number of calories as me."

she sounds better off going back to school instead of the gym!

Trending Topics

Old 27 June 2006, 07:59 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Different people will burn up different numbers of calories - that's true; same time and distance on a rowing machine doesn't mean same amount of work done, you could have an efficient or inefficient style, different levels of metabolism etc, apart from the amount of "wasted" energy accelerating and decallreating your own mass. If you're much fitter, you'll tend to burn calories more efficiently and therefore use less for the same distance. Heavier / fatter people will tend to need to use more for the same time and distance - but they will tend to be slower for the same distance than a slim, fit person. About the only thing you can say very reliably is that people are all different.

If you're aiming to burn fat on a rowing machine etc, you need to be training at the right sort of heart rate (typically 60-70% of your maximum), continuously for decent periods; I'd suggest 30 mins - 1 hr continuously each session, pending getting fit enough to do so safely etc. Enough of the right training will get your body to burn fat more reliably and consistently, and improve your core fitness - meaning you'll go faster for the same calory burn. However, whilst it will make a difference to your fat content by burning fat, as Milo says the biggest factor by far is diet.
Old 28 June 2006, 10:35 AM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

I’ve been into Boxing since the age 14, I had a major accident at 13 which meant I was was off my feet for 6 months (wheelchair), then 6 months learning to walk again. TBH – I never thought I would be able to actually get into it, let alone compete in the ABA’s or on the Semi Pro circuit – which resulted in another injury from which I decided to give up, and just continue doing the fitness training, and training Kids

14 – 17 I was in my “prime” - at 18 I discovered drinking (don’t we all!!) needless to say I started piling the weight back on, quit and enjoyed the finer things in life. At 20 I started again, I needed to loose the belly, kept this up for about a year, then due to loosing my father I quit to support my family (NHS Negligence – which we proved, later reffered to the General Medical Council where the doctor has recently been found – LAST WEEK - to be Misconduct!)

At 23 I started back again, Quit at 24 again due to personal reasons, started again at 26, lost 3 stone in weight (In 4 months), down from 17st to 14st, then back upto 15.3st (1.3st of muscle gained) – now about 16st

I still have the belly, but that’s partly my own fault from drinking! However The point I am making here, is that different sorts of training and exercise looses weight differently (I am into weight training also!)

Boxing Is mainly cardio – Running, weights, skipping, Bag & Pad work, Sparring, Press/Sit Ups. I’ve never really gone to a mainstream Gym, never had to – I was lucky enough to have a personal trainer (someone who @ 64 years of age, still trains me & trains everyday himself! With 50 yrs boxing experience too!) So I never looked into a commercial gym, more so (partly down to the fact) that I knew what I needed to do to loose the weight on certain areas of my body

As mentioned in previous replies, eating is a major factor & diets. Most of my mates are into Power lifting, weight training etc. & they eat 6 times a day, but they burn this off by doing specific routines daily, which Is another point here, Don’t look at specifically cutting all the good stuff out, more at balancing your eating regime in line with your excercise

Just thought I’d share

Last edited by RMA26; 28 June 2006 at 10:47 AM.
Old 28 June 2006, 10:43 AM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

Good thread B20 - I've just started going to the gym a couple of weeks ago too - after 3 years of running a pub its time to shift the backlog of beer and kebabs - Had 2 months of healthy-ish eating and seriously decreased alcohol consumption and so far I've lost about a stone, but the difference in how positive I feel about myself has changed big style since I started going to the gym. Even after two weeks I feel noticeably fitter and am able to do a lot more cardio than I could in the first week without feeling tired/achey the next day.

Some very good advice given in this thread