Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

IPOD Experts please help

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2006, 05:33 PM
fin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question IPOD Experts please help

I am completely unable to use Itunes, its probably me but i think its completely rubbish!!!

I've just re installed XP for other reasons so i don't want to use it this time!!

I tried "copy to CD or device" in windows media centre (Version 9) it converts them then copies but when i look on my ipod they are not there!?!

What do i need to do, or can anyone recomend a simply programme to use where i could just drag files onto my ipod..

Thanks in advance.
Old 26 June 2006, 05:54 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

you have to figure out itunes...its the simplest set up you can have.

your post is like saying "i want to transport 4 people and luggage 200 miles along roads at high speed .....but i dont want to use a car"
Old 26 June 2006, 06:10 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Yes as TSR says, it should be a case of install itunes, plug in ipod and itunes will then automatically sync tunes to the ipod, there really is nothing difficult about it.
Old 26 June 2006, 08:12 PM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

Im like you fin, i have always used windows media player and found it really easy and simple to use!

Having recently just bought an ipod video, i am now forced to use i-tunes!

At first i didnt like it, and wanted to go back to windows media player but a little perseverance and now i actually think i-tunes is a lot better set up than WMP!

Wouldnt go back to WMP now
Old 26 June 2006, 08:12 PM
fin
Scooby Regular

Well i also have the problem that two of us have ipods and want different things on them and it just turns into a pain ticking and unticking

Is there not just a drag and drop feature or does anyone know how to use it with windows media
Old 26 June 2006, 09:36 PM
Miss Kinky
Scooby Regular

Location: Be who you are and say what you feel. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

you can always do what i did - stiletto heel through your Ipod - problem solved instantly!!
Old 26 June 2006, 09:56 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fin
Well i also have the problem that two of us have ipods and want different things on them and it just turns into a pain ticking and unticking

Is there not just a drag and drop feature or does anyone know how to use it with windows media
you dont need to do that...
1,if you are using xp, have two accounts, itunes loaded on each with different librays, doubles up on space but keeps your tunes seperate
or
2. use playlists....that is what they are there for. grab all the songs you want and have your own playlists per person. and playlists can be in folders as well, so you get your own folders, playlists etc from one large library.

something to get you going...
if not try the stiletto trick

Trending Topics

Old 26 June 2006, 10:58 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Do a google for anapod I have now removed I tunes from my PC
Old 27 June 2006, 07:34 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

1) iPod -> Ebay
2) Replace with this, or any one of a number of other manufacturers' MP3 players.

I just don't get why Apple's players are so popular. Practically everyone else lets you plug the player into your PC and have it appear as a hard disc, so all you do is copy & paste files on and off. No drivers required, no special software, no restrictions on what you can and can't copy to or from the unit.
Old 27 June 2006, 07:42 AM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fin

In settins make sure you turn off auto update for the itunes. That way you wont end up with your womans songs on your ipod.

When I first got an ipod and itunes, I loathed itunes. But if you persevere and get it right it will make life easier.
Old 27 June 2006, 09:42 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
I just don't get why Apple's players are so popular. Practically everyone else lets you plug the player into your PC and have it appear as a hard disc, so all you do is copy & paste files on and off. No drivers required, no special software, no restrictions on what you can and can't copy to or from the unit.
Because they are so easy to use and so is iTunes, apple gear their technology for non-techie people and simplify everything. I remember when I first got an apple powerbook and spent 2 hours looking for an un-installer, there isnt one! Want to remove something, just delete the directory! The problem is as a windows user you are conditioned to look for a process or number of steps to do something when it should be easy. iPods rock and sure there is abit of a fanboy element to them but thats because the way apple have positioned them in the market-place. Yes there is lock-in but thats just building a good business model, the same for sony using only sony memory sticks. As above there are other tools on the market if you want the drag n drop functionality but why? iTunes just works and you dont need to faff around.

Gary
Old 27 June 2006, 09:50 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GaryK
iTunes just works and you dont need to faff around.
See, this is the thing I find so confusing. Drag'n'drop isn't faffing around, it's the dead straightforward way to transfer stuff from one place to another that's been around for ages, and which I for one find totally intuitive. What possible reason could there be for wanting to do it any other way?

Apple's marketing people have undoubtedly done a fabulous job, no doubt about that. It just saddens me, being a design engineer myself, that people end up buying the product with the best marketing and not the one with (IMHO, of course) the best engineering.
Old 27 June 2006, 12:06 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
See, this is the thing I find so confusing. Drag'n'drop isn't faffing around, it's the dead straightforward way to transfer stuff from one place to another that's been around for ages, and which I for one find totally intuitive. What possible reason could there be for wanting to do it any other way?
Sure drag and drop is common, me I just take a lead, plug one end into the ipod and the other into my USB port on my lappy and carry on with what Im doing, itunes syncs everything keeping my playlists, simple!
Old 28 June 2006, 07:54 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

there is no drag and drop for a simple reason.
Copyright protection.
Apple had to build into the player and itunes a way to satisfy the record companies in terms of copyright and licensing.
that is why (there are ways around it), you cant copy stuff back from ipod to pc.
also how would your ipod know that the tunes you had just bought of the itunes music store was yours?

maybe a pain to some people, but it works
Old 28 June 2006, 08:07 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

So, the two options to update your MP3 player are:

Plug in ipod. Erm, that's it, it does it all itself.

Plug in other mp3 player, navigate to folder where music is, figure out what you've recently copied, navigate to that folder, click on folder or files, realise you haven't clicked 'folders' in explorer or got an explorer window for your mp3 player, click folders on explorer to show mp3 player, drag selected music from one window to another making sure you don't drag it onto something other than the mp3 player by an accidental slip of the mouse. Repeat for all the music you've added/want to put on your mp3 player.