Default The EU's ISA project

...appears here a few times. So here's the official website for it:
http://www.rws-avv.nl/servlet/page?_...folder_id=7737
Old 26 June 2006, 05:54 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nasty. Very nasty.

Please, take this opportunity to join the ABD if you haven't already: http://www.abd.org.uk/
Old 26 June 2006, 07:00 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

I really don't understand various Government's obsession with excessive speed. I can understand the need to increase driving skills across the spectrum which are generally poor in any country but the amount of deaths on our roads don't seem to be decreasing and pale into significance when compared to those of cancer or other illnesses.

I just don't get it? Has anyone got a better understanding of what is trying to be achieved here? OK, approximately 4500 deaths occur on our roads annually and tragic as it is, any form of transport inherently carries a degree of risk and given that these policies don't seem to be working why don't they concentrate on increasing driving skills? There is no such thing as zero risk and yet they continue on as if excessive speed is the only causal factor in accidents when there are far more contributing factors such as poor concentration or inappropriate lane positioning.

Any ideas?
Old 26 June 2006, 08:01 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

The British Government committed itself, and therefore us, to removing general access to "socially divisive" private transport. It was actually John Major who signed the Copenhagen Declaration.

There are several routes to this end. One is to make using your car such a pain that you don't want to do it and this is seen in the way road networks are now designed to generate congestion. The other way to drive you from your car is to price you out of it.

Your mistake, Flatcapdriver, is to assume that safety is anything to do with the need to slow us down. The various "green" organisations have called for a blanket maximum speed limit of 40mph and the tactic to achieve this is to enforce the 40mph limit for HGVs and, effectively, use them as moving road blocks. We have already seen this tactic come into general use. Clearly if your car is limited by ISA then overtaking these 40mph trucks becomes even more difficult and the hope of the green nutters is that this will drive you on to public transport. The Government also hope this as they have signed up to say that this is what they will force you to do.

So, ISA is being sold as a means to reduce congestion, which was engineered into the road network in the first place, and to increase safety and there is no question that, at the minute, this ploy is working. I expect that tomorrow will see an announcement from the RAC which might give the impression that many motorists are actually keen on ISA. They are keen for the very reason that they think it is about making the driving experience better for them and I think it is safe to say they are in for a very big shock.
Old 27 June 2006, 12:47 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is a frightening thought and I believe it may well be more dangerous to remove a car's performance since acceleration is often necessary to avoid accidents or to keep the traffic moving.

The real sin in my mind is to take all that money off motorists in the name of road fund tax and yet to allow our roads to deteriorate as they are. It will eventually become too expensive to even repair them.

Les