Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Ebay seller problems

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2006, 07:29 AM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ebay seller problems

I bought a digibox from a seller on Ebay, it was listed as condition 'new' in the item specifics and again commented as 'very good condition' in the listing. Cost was £26 + £15 postage, total of £41.

He said that it had the latest sky software installed and was fully working. Well, after charging £15 postage for an item that only cost £7 to send (checky git) it turns out that the box is faulty and is certinaly not new with scrathes and marks all over plus one of the feet missing.

I emailed the seller to outline the above problems and request a refund, offering to send the box back. He replied saying that he did not list it as new (it is listed as new in the auction), that he will only refund £30 and not to bother sending it back.

I again emailed him saying that the item was not as described and I would like a total refund for the £41 but he said £30 is all he will offer.

Do you think I should take the £30? He is listed under the buyers Paypal protection system so I could raise a dispute and try to get the funds back that way but would I get the full £41 back or just the £26 item value?

Any help would be welcomed!
Old 26 June 2006, 07:39 AM
ScoobywagonGl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it is not as stated in the auction (new) then you should go through paypal and explain that he has said he will refund you only £30 and not to bother sending it ack. Paypal are generally good with disputes.

Good luck.
Old 26 June 2006, 08:05 AM
GE90
Scooby Regular

Had something similar, but got this response from Paypal after 10 days, and no option to continue with the dispute!

After careful review, we have concluded our investigation of the Buyer
Complaint described below.

We have decided in your favour, however, we were unable to recover any
funds from the seller's account. As stated in the PayPal User Agreement,
recovery of funds associated with a Buyer Complaint cannot be guaranteed.

Good luck!
Old 26 June 2006, 08:39 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

It's not unusual to not refund postage for returned goods. However, that would be reasonable in a case where the goods are as described but you change your mind etc. The condition option on eBay seems to be wrong more often that not and I'd read the main text for further info, sending an email before bidding if I had any concerns.

Post up the link to the item and let's see what he put
Old 26 June 2006, 08:51 AM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

Link here

I am in two minds wether to accept the £30 and leave it at that with negative feedback or push it further and chance not getting anything back. Grrrr damn Ebay muppets!!!
Old 26 June 2006, 09:10 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Take the £30, and ignore principles. I would feel the same, but it's so much harder to get the cash back if at all, so better to live and learn, and take the scratched unit (or sell it on ebay) and think it cost £11 all in. It's a pain, but there are too many people who abuse the system because they can...
Old 26 June 2006, 09:14 AM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

Take the 30 and then neg him

Trending Topics

Old 26 June 2006, 09:36 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Appearance: In very good condition.
Functionality: Fully tested and working.
Seems to be the guy has lied. The question is, will you get the extra £12 back if you go via PayPal or will you get nothing? Take the £30 and then flog it back on eBay but for spares / repair.
Old 26 June 2006, 09:46 AM
WODJNO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
Seems to be the guy has lied. The question is, will you get the extra £12 back if you go via PayPal or will you get nothing? Take the £30 and then flog it back on eBay but for spares / repair.
Like ^^^ he said..

Take the £30 and flog for spares.. As stated before you don't normally get refunded your postage.

Also in respect to the cost of your postage. This is normally done to keep the cost of selling fees down. The higher postage costs allows for the seller to be able to sell the item at a lower price. The seller only receives e-bay charges for the lower priced item. If you do a lot of selling this can aloow for alot more profit..

At the end of the day if you add both postage and cost of the item together and your happy to pay that price for the item, does it matter if you pay £99 & £1 P&P or £1 & £99 P&P

Hope you get it sorted soon though.
Old 26 June 2006, 10:25 AM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Take the £30,neutral or neg him, then send him a turd in the post if you like.

Paypal isnt guaranteed to go your way, and the funds arent always recovered either.

To be fair, I dont refund postage either unless there is a real reason to do so.

He has offered to refund you, plus you get to keep it. More than could have offered to do TBH- he could have told you to sling your hook.

Last edited by Freak; 26 June 2006 at 10:28 AM.
Old 26 June 2006, 10:30 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Is it just me who is scared of giving Negative feedback in fear of recieving neg feedback myself. Too many people hold back even though you have fulfilled your part of the transaction. Doing my head in ebay at the minute.
Old 26 June 2006, 10:33 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Not me.. if some ****** tries to get one over on me, well lets just say.. 'NEGATIVE FEEDBACK' ain't the word for it..............

and FFS you've been seen off for £11, get OVER it..........
Old 26 June 2006, 11:32 AM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

IIRC, when I left a neutral feedback for someone as the item wasn't as described, they then left a comment back to which I replied. Both of these further comments are then shown against the feedback for all to see...

Ah-ha just found this on the help section of eBay..

'After you've left feedback for another user, you can always review your comments. Just click on "See all feedback I have left for others" in the Feedback tab of My eBay (at the bottom of the page).
Occasionally you many need to follow up on comments you've left for another eBay user. While reviewing your comments, just click on the Follow-up link next to the correct user and item number, and enter your additional comments. You can leave follow-up comments once for each feedback comment you've left.
Note: Feedback cannot be erased, so be sure to make only fair and factual comments.'

I shouldnt worry too much about neg feedback as you can always do the above..
Old 27 June 2006, 12:48 PM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

Well I took the lowly £30 that he offered, once it had arrived I left him a negative feedback saying what had happened.

Within the hour I get a negative feedback from him...

"Agrees a resolution but still leaves neg. feedback. Contact me to remove this."

I also got a message from him saying that he would not have refunded if he had known that I was going to leave neg feedback for him, hahhaha that makes me feel a little better. I may reply with " I wouldnt have bought anything from you if I had known you were going to rip me off, so life is a bitch - get over it!"

I know a way of getting my negative removed so will sort that soon, I may even start a new account as I got a neg years ago from a muppet which stops me getting the big 100%
Old 27 June 2006, 01:49 PM
oobster
Scooby Regular

Some **** bandit gave the Mrs neg feedback last week for selling him a video that was listed in the DVD section. Total sell price, including delivery, was under 3 quid. First we hear of it is the negative feedback, and no response to our emails asking him to review. The guy took a whole week to pay us too, by paypal.
If the buyer had emailed saying it was a dvd he was expecting, we'd have issued a full refund and let him keep the goods - we were ven more mad when we looked at our listing again - and it clearly said 'video' in the title. 100% feedback ruined over the sake of a £2.70 video, and the seller's only contact was the neg feedback. Feckin eBay!!!!
Old 27 June 2006, 02:40 PM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

oobster - If this was within the 2 months or so and you want to know how to get neg feedback removed the cheeky way then PM and I will let you know.

Nezz.
Old 27 June 2006, 03:37 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Just use bad language in reply to any negative and it seems to disappear.