Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Too Many Distractions, Too much choice

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2006, 01:04 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Too Many Distractions, Too much choice

Is it just me or do we have too many things to occupy our time nowadays, so much so that nothing gets done properly,

We used to have 4 channels, before that 3, now we have hundreds and just end up flicking between them, not really watching anything.

We used to have libraries (well we still do or so I beleive),but now we have the internet, its a good thing but we end up wasting time typing **** like this and looking at 'hillarious' pictures and 30 second clips of people falling off stuff and more **** than you can possibly want or physically tolerate......

Computers, used to have one computer, before that an Atari with three games, I learnt how to programme it because I didnt have enough money for games and a tape deck, all I could do was type in listings and work out how to do my own, now I have several pcs and various consoles and dont really get as much enjoyment out of any of them. When I eventually got the add ons it was fantastic, now I can buy anything I want but get bored with it or just dont bother.

I just feel bombarded with stuff, everything nowadays seems to centre on instant gratification, I am not saying I want to go back to one channel of tv finishing at 10pm but I just feel there is too much to cope with, my brain cant cope with Sky telly, 15 minutes of programme followed by ten minutes of loan and ringtone ads, this makes you flick so you dont see that **** off the Picture the loan advert 'As long as they dont cancel football', I then forget which of the 17 million channels I was on and what the hell I was watching, it doesnt matter cos I have found the Episode of Only Fools and Horses where Delboy gets the Capri, adverts come on and I find a fascination documentary about building a bridge, more adverts, flick, argghhhhhhhh.

Even food, used to get bottles of Coke, Lemonade at Christmas or for a treat, my dad would get perhaps 8 cans of beer in for Christmas and rarely throughout the year, now you can buy 40 bottles of beer for 16 quid so its just there all the time, there is no sense of occasion any more. Order a Coffee and you get more options than on a Bentley price list, what was wrong with White or Black and frothy for the adventurous. Cheese and Onion, Salt and Vinegar and Plain, now it takes me an hour to choose a bag of crisps wheras before it was easy, Cheese and Onion, possibly Salt and vinegar if I had no open cuts about my face or hands and plain was for old people.

My phone involves some big decisions, do I want Kasabian as my ringtone or perhaps some other tune to show how cool I am (not), what songs should I put in the one gig of memory, which humourous voice should direct me in TomTom, cant wait for my upgrade to come around, must set up the email on it, best charge it, how many inclusive minutes do I still have. When I go away, have I got both phone chargers plus the other eight I possess for various items.

Which album out of the 40 gigs worth on My MP3 player should I listen to, better put some new ones on it. Hmm, not checked on Scoobynet for at least an hour, wonder whos replied to my last comment, not looked on Ebay for crap old cars for over a week, I suspect there may be some new ones, Autotrader, I wonder how much a 911 Turbo is these days, best look on Jobserve as I might be earning a couple of grand less than I could, oh and CWJOBS while I am at it.

I am going to start reading books again and go out on my bike rather than sitting in front of a f*cking computer, tv or games console. Event with all the above there is still stuff I feel I should be attending to, my inbox is full, my hard disk is cluttered, my Virus checkers need updating, Xbox live is rejecting my credit card because they sent me a new one so I cant buy the PGR3 upgrade pack. Perhaps a few months as a Hermit is in order.

I think this concept of too much needs a name, any suggestions or is it just me getting old.
Old 22 June 2006, 01:10 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're getting old!

The world is a wonderful place if you open your eyes beyond the gizmos that are provided to amuse the idle.
Old 22 June 2006, 01:11 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I've actually been thinking of taking a month off TV and t'internet to see what I could achieve without all the distraction.

Back to the simple life.
Old 22 June 2006, 01:37 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Internet, TV and computer games etc make for people to become lazy, after searching for hours for a holiday etc watching the football on TV you just want to lie down and relax not mow the lawn etc. Everything recently seems like a hassle and I dont know why.

Your absolutely spot on J4CKO.
Old 22 June 2006, 01:55 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Is it just me or do we have too many things to occupy our time nowadays, so much so that nothing gets done properly,

We used to have 4 channels, before that 3, now we have hundreds and just end up flicking between them, not really watching anything.

We used to have libraries (well we still do or so I beleive),but now we have the internet, its a good thing but we end up wasting time typing **** like this and looking at 'hillarious' pictures and 30 second clips of people falling off stuff and more **** than you can possibly want or physically tolerate......

Computers, used to have one computer, before that an Atari with three games, I learnt how to programme it because I didnt have enough money for games and a tape deck, all I could do was type in listings and work out how to do my own, now I have several pcs and various consoles and dont really get as much enjoyment out of any of them. When I eventually got the add ons it was fantastic, now I can buy anything I want but get bored with it or just dont bother.

I just feel bombarded with stuff, everything nowadays seems to centre on instant gratification, I am not saying I want to go back to one channel of tv finishing at 10pm but I just feel there is too much to cope with, my brain cant cope with Sky telly, 15 minutes of programme followed by ten minutes of loan and ringtone ads, this makes you flick so you dont see that **** off the Picture the loan advert 'As long as they dont cancel football', I then forget which of the 17 million channels I was on and what the hell I was watching, it doesnt matter cos I have found the Episode of Only Fools and Horses where Delboy gets the Capri, adverts come on and I find a fascination documentary about building a bridge, more adverts, flick, argghhhhhhhh.

Even food, used to get bottles of Coke, Lemonade at Christmas or for a treat, my dad would get perhaps 8 cans of beer in for Christmas and rarely throughout the year, now you can buy 40 bottles of beer for 16 quid so its just there all the time, there is no sense of occasion any more. Order a Coffee and you get more options than on a Bentley price list, what was wrong with White or Black and frothy for the adventurous. Cheese and Onion, Salt and Vinegar and Plain, now it takes me an hour to choose a bag of crisps wheras before it was easy, Cheese and Onion, possibly Salt and vinegar if I had no open cuts about my face or hands and plain was for old people.

My phone involves some big decisions, do I want Kasabian as my ringtone or perhaps some other tune to show how cool I am (not), what songs should I put in the one gig of memory, which humourous voice should direct me in TomTom, cant wait for my upgrade to come around, must set up the email on it, best charge it, how many inclusive minutes do I still have. When I go away, have I got both phone chargers plus the other eight I possess for various items.

Which album out of the 40 gigs worth on My MP3 player should I listen to, better put some new ones on it. Hmm, not checked on Scoobynet for at least an hour, wonder whos replied to my last comment, not looked on Ebay for crap old cars for over a week, I suspect there may be some new ones, Autotrader, I wonder how much a 911 Turbo is these days, best look on Jobserve as I might be earning a couple of grand less than I could, oh and CWJOBS while I am at it.

I am going to start reading books again and go out on my bike rather than sitting in front of a f*cking computer, tv or games console. Event with all the above there is still stuff I feel I should be attending to, my inbox is full, my hard disk is cluttered, my Virus checkers need updating, Xbox live is rejecting my credit card because they sent me a new one so I cant buy the PGR3 upgrade pack. Perhaps a few months as a Hermit is in order.

I think this concept of too much needs a name, any suggestions or is it just me getting old.
AMEN TO THAT.......
Old 22 June 2006, 02:22 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Agreed.Life is so much better without all the junk that is 'progress'.It's a pain in the butt.It's like being released from shackles when I don't have to have my mobile phone with me.

Even going to the pictures.Loads of 'blockbusters' on all the time.More films and yet I never go now.Can't keep up!
Old 22 June 2006, 02:26 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Think your right.
Between watching television, downloading **** off the internet, and playing on my Xbox, there just isn't enough time to do anything
Old 22 June 2006, 03:36 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Absolutely agree with you J4CKO.

I've been meaning to do so many things recently and just never get round to them because I'm busy doing nothing.

Last edited by Jerome; 22 June 2006 at 03:54 PM.
Old 22 June 2006, 03:54 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

i like the idea of inventing a word for it all...assuming one doesnt exist already...!
Old 22 June 2006, 05:04 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

about once a year i go away with the lads camping at billing for a long weekend, normally when one of the big shows is on

no tv, internet, mobile phone, just lots of beer and living a bit like a tramp

the phone is taken with me, although it is switched off until i get back home "just in case"
to be honest it is BLISS, although i have missed last years, and it looks like i will be missing this years as well
Old 22 June 2006, 05:08 PM
Bat-Fink
Scooby Regular

that the land rover show micky?
Old 22 June 2006, 06:14 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

is the landrover show big?? ??
Old 22 June 2006, 06:29 PM
SCOsazOBY
Scooby Senior

You are right J4cko, even our gadgets have gadgets and upgrades and features these days.

You used to be able to appreciate owning a mobile phone simply because you had one. Whereas now its not IF you own one its..... does it have a 1 gig card, bluetooth, built in mp3 player, digital colour camera with zoom, internet and email access, more free minutes then you would want to spend talking to someone.

I used to consider myself 'well off' because i had a pc with internet access. But not these days oh no....it has to have super fast wireless broadband, a hard drive bigger then a warehouse, built in dvd and cd re-writer so i can produced my own film and music industry that i can download onto my xbox360, psp, in car cd/mp3 player and i-pod.

You cant just have a tv any more. It has to be a 40" widescreen LCD HD ready flat screen, that can be wall mounted with surround sound system rigged upto the sky plus HD box and DVD recorder because we all know VCRs are dying a death

Well with all that said, i am off to play xbox live now
Old 22 June 2006, 08:29 PM
Ted Maul
Scooby Regular

sounds like a lot of you have got sucked into the materialistic religion
Old 22 June 2006, 08:36 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, yes and no, I am fully aware of materialism and do try to moderate my spending, most of my problem isnt based on spending or aquring stuff as most of it is quite cheap and accessable, its just the ammount of time and pointless stuff you end up doing, anyway Ted, have you not got some meditation to do or something ?
Old 22 June 2006, 08:40 PM
Ted Maul
Scooby Regular

nah, thats naff, I'll probably just go and have a ***
Old 22 June 2006, 09:25 PM
SlimJ_2005
Scooby Regular

Your spot on!!

You really need to get away from it all by going travelling somewhere where you dont need all these gadgets and distractions.

I found a year in Oz liberating, you get away from everything including the depressing news and start really enjoying the simple life of meeting people, sitting out under the stars, doing nowt etc... bloody great!
Old 22 June 2006, 10:26 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Completely agree, thats why for 6 glorious weekends a year I get out and go bushcrafting amongst other things and a couple of days a month shooting.

Except there inlies the problem, whats on my mind when I'm there???

Has suchandsuch replied to my mail / myspace message etc!!!! (primary contact method for bands) Thankfully my mobile is so pants at surfing the web I don't bother checking (mobiles there for emergencies).

Now I have a laptop with wireless, there will come a day when I take it to the sites and switch it on and get it searching for an unsecured hotspot.

God I hate technology at times.