Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Goodwood

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2006, 03:00 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goodwood

Am off to Goodwood this year (on the Sunday) and have just read today's Sunday Times Goodwood pullout. There is an improveed rally course this year and the top teams will be taking part. It will be in memory of Richard Burns too.

Wondered if anyone else is going?
Old 18 June 2006, 03:14 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Went last year and it was excellent - watching the F1 cars on the hill climb was crazy!!

Couldnt believe that air display by the South African airlines 747 - not often you see them being flown like that, or that low
Old 18 June 2006, 03:31 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Shan't be going this year, but have been several times before. Fantastic day out!
Old 18 June 2006, 03:48 PM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

I used to go regulary, but it's pretty much the same every year now (still a great day out) and i think they've spoiled it by selling tickets on the gate on a sunday, it's just to crowded now, to be really enjoyable.
Old 18 June 2006, 04:52 PM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Location: "Every one should have a friend called Dave - they're the human equivalent of a Swiss Army knife!!"

Yep, I'll be going. Friday for me though, not as busy as the weekend but the downside is you dont get the current F1 drivers etal appearing on the Friday. Absolutley fantastic day out and beats being at work
Old 18 June 2006, 04:56 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shaunywrx
I used to go regulary, but it's pretty much the same every year now (still a great day out) and i think they've spoiled it by selling tickets on the gate on a sunday, it's just to crowded now, to be really enjoyable.
Entry is by advance ticket only, no tickets sold on the day!

Chip
Old 18 June 2006, 10:17 PM
Kev_turbo
Scooby Regular

been 3 times before on Saturdays. This time bought full weekend passes as you never get to see all the static displays and enough track time

Trending Topics

Old 18 June 2006, 11:15 PM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
Entry is by advance ticket only, no tickets sold on the day!

Chip
Oh yes they do, i've seen them selling them on the gates, for the last three years (i don't care what they tell you) on a sunday, and it just gets to packed nowadays.
Old 18 June 2006, 11:24 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Friday for me ..... FREE again

Pete
Old 18 June 2006, 11:25 PM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Friday for me ..... FREE again

Pete
Whats that then, free for oap's on a friday?
Old 19 June 2006, 11:13 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The 747 handles very well for a large aircraft with pleasantly light controls. It would certainly lend itself to an impressive flying display with a light fuel load anyway.

Les
Old 19 June 2006, 11:15 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm hopefully going on the sunday this year The 747 display should get my wife interested
Old 19 June 2006, 01:37 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
The 747 handles very well for a large aircraft with pleasantly light controls. It would certainly lend itself to an impressive flying display with a light fuel load anyway.

Les
Will you be working as ground crew - like you did on the Vulcans?

Pete
Old 19 June 2006, 01:57 PM
Nicci
Scooby Senior

I got the special Friday tickets too

(maybe I wont have to give them away again like I did last year)
Old 19 June 2006, 02:24 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

So which day is best - Saturday or Sunday?
Old 19 June 2006, 05:09 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana
So which day is best - Saturday or Sunday?
Sat and Sunday both very busy, Friday is best to look around as its a fair bit quieter.

Heres a taster of whats coming this year:

F1, WRC, BTCC and LE MANS – the Festival promises the best of modern motor sport

9/6/2006

Contemporary Formula One – the world’s best cars and drivers

The Festival’s unique ability to attract the top works Formula One teams is its key strength, and already eight teams have confirmed their attendance this year. Nowhere else in the world can you get so close to the latest and greatest cars and drivers.

BMW – the newly-formed team will demonstrate its latest V8-powered car, driven by Andy Priaulx.
Ferrari – the team will be here from Italy with an ex-Michael Schumacher 2004 car.
Honda – the latest car will be in action. Jenson Button is confirmed on Sunday, and third driver Anthony Davidson will be available to drive on Saturday.
McLaren-Mercedes – this season’s car will be driven on Saturday and Sunday by Gary Paffett.
Red Bull – the beautiful Ferrari-powered car will smoke its tyres all weekend; Friday’s driver is Michael Ammermüller, with Robert Doornbos in action on Saturday and race driver Christian Klien on Sunday. Team leader David Coulthard will also be at the Festival on Saturday and Sunday.
Renault – the latest R26 will be in action all weekend from its special pit beneath the automotive sculpture in front of Goodwood House. Test driver Heikki Kovalainen will drive on Friday and Saturday, and race star Giancarlo Fisichella is in action on Sunday.
Toyota – once again demonstrates its latest car; third driver with the Toyota F1 team Ricardo Zonta will demonstrate the latest TF105 all weekend.
Williams-Cosworth – race driver Mark Webber is expected to drive on Saturday, and Nico Rosberg will drive on Sunday.

Look out in the paddock for familiar faces such as Sir Jackie Stewart, Murray Walker, Martin Brundle, Mark Blundell, Sir Frank Williams, Ron Dennis, Patrick Head, Ross Brawn, David Richards and Adrian Newey, all of whom have attended the Festival in recent years.

World Rally Championship – famous names ‘on the loose’

With no World Rally Championship date clash this year, several of the top WRC teams and drivers will be on hand to provide a thrilling demonstration of sideways driving, both on the Forest Rally Stage (see separate story) and on the hillclimb too. Ford M-Sport and Prodrive’s Subaru team have both confirmed, and it is expected that Citroën and Skoda will also attend, hopefully joined by Mitsubishi and Peugeot too.

Former Champions Colin McRae, Marcus Gronholm and Petter Solberg will take part, along with rising star Matthew Wilson. It is hoped that reigning Champion Sebastien Loeb and several other top stars will also drive in what is set to become a fund-raising event in memory of two of rallying’s most popular figures. In September 2005, Peugeot’s Michael Park – who co-drove for Estonian Markko Martin – was killed in an accident on the Rally GB; and a few weeks later, in November, England’s only World Champion Richard Burns lost a long battle against cancer.

The WRC cars will be in action throughout the weekend on the Forest Rally Stage, but will join the hillclimb to make one run each morning and another each afternoon. They share the Forest Rally Stage with a range of historic rally cars and great drivers from the history of the sport, including Hannu Mikkola, Björn Waldegård, Rauno Aaltonen, Sandro Munari, Russell Brookes and Tony Fall.

Stars of International circuit racing

An unprecedented array of reigning motor sport champions will be at Goodwood. Reigning World Touring Car Champion Andy Priaulx is in action, along with DTM title-holder Gary Paffett. From the British Touring Car Championship comes reigning Champion Matt Neal in the Team Dynamics Honda Integra R. There will also be current Le Mans cars, still covered in dirt after their efforts at the 24-hour race, including the stunning Aston Martin DBR9, which takes the famous British marque back to Le Mans this summer, and a fabulous Courage-Judd LMP car.

Chip
Old 19 June 2006, 05:11 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shaunywrx
Oh yes they do, i've seen them selling them on the gates, for the last three years (i don't care what they tell you) on a sunday, and it just gets to packed nowadays.
Well I havent seen them selling any tickets on the gates for the last 2 years. Programmes yes but not tickets.

If you dont like it cos its so packed why not invest in a grandstand ticket. Great view, sheltered from sun or rain and somewhere to park your **** for a few hours.

Chip
Old 19 June 2006, 05:44 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Me & a couple of friends go all 3 days, camping down there.
Can't say I have noticed tickets for sale on the gates but might be wrong (when you have tickets I guess you arn't really looking !)

Last year I met Boris Becker, Jeremy Clarkson, Coulthard & a couple others in the Cartier hospitality tent.

R.
Old 19 June 2006, 05:56 PM
Aquanaut
Scooby Regular

I have always fancied going.

So do I NEED a grandstand ticket or will I see enough wandering around?

Saturday is practise and Sunday is the race - so which is the best day for a Goodwood virgin?
Old 19 June 2006, 07:34 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Friday is the best day to go ....

It's FREE and it's quiet ....

All the hospitality tents are more than welcome to give you loads of goodies Just tell them you are about to change your car soon!!

Pete
Old 19 June 2006, 08:24 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

And i,ll sit there and watch you all get bogged down on the few access roads in..

must get some film for the camera, the 747 should be visible from the back garden

Mart
Old 19 June 2006, 11:13 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

I try and go every year - I think this will be my 7th or 8th time - top day out
This year I have the pleasure of a press pass, which means I can get in when I like and I don't have to stand behind the bleeding straw bales all the time
Old 20 June 2006, 12:01 AM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

Well I havent seen them selling any tickets on the gates for the last 2 years. Programmes yes but not tickets.

If you dont like it cos its so packed why not invest in a grandstand ticket. Great view, sheltered from sun or rain and somewhere to park your **** for a few hours.

Chip
I must confess, i had considered the option of the grandstands, but i'm probably going to leave it a while before i go again, i think if you go every year it takes some of the shine off of it.
Old 21 June 2006, 04:02 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
And i,ll sit there and watch you all get bogged down on the few access roads
Not me Marty boy. It's easy when you know a good route in and where to park.

I never queue to get in or out and always park near the exit gate.

Chip
Old 21 June 2006, 04:59 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Not me Marty boy. It's easy when you know a good route in and where to park.

I never queue to get in or out and always park near the exit gate.

Chip
Care to share? I'm going for the first time on the Sunday. PM me if you don't want to divulge secret squirel stuff to all and sundry
Old 21 June 2006, 05:03 PM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Location: "Every one should have a friend called Dave - they're the human equivalent of a Swiss Army knife!!"

Originally Posted by James Neill
Care to share? I'm going for the first time on the Sunday. PM me if you don't want to divulge secret squirel stuff to all and sundry
Can I have a PM too please
Old 21 June 2006, 07:55 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by James Neill

LOL... sorry for jumping on the band wagon as well, but I'd appreciate any tips going.

Allan
Old 21 June 2006, 08:36 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Look at a map guys, there are only two main routes in, A27 being one of them.

all other routes are deriritives off the A27, or the A3m

Mart
Old 21 June 2006, 09:39 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
Look at a map guys, there are only two main routes in, A27 being one of them.

all other routes are deriritives off the A27, or the A3m

Mart
There are only 2 main roads into Wales as well. Doesnt mean you can't find an alternative, quicker route though does it

Chip
Old 22 June 2006, 12:01 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your inaccurate comment PSL. All mouth and trousers as ever. It is pretty obvious that you are jealous of my occupation while in the RAF.

I shall be going to the revival meeting in September, also a very good event.

Les

Last edited by Leslie; 22 June 2006 at 12:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Goodwood