Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Speed Camera's in every 20mph road

Search this Thread

Old 15 June 2006, 11:55 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Camera's in every 20mph road

Well according to the Times today local councils are about to start rolling out speed camera's in 20mph area's using specs at each end of roads and entrances to and from estates.

How long before they put them on all roads?
Old 15 June 2006, 11:57 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Lets see if these specs can measure the speed of my air rifle pellets pounding into the lens
Old 15 June 2006, 11:57 PM
jonesy172
Scooby Regular

they would last 5 min esp since 20mph limits are usually in council estates
Old 16 June 2006, 12:08 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Afraid not an increasing number of rat runs around here have been reduced to 20mph. waste of time putting them on council estates as all the cars are nicked anyway

Old 16 June 2006, 12:22 AM
speye91
Scooby Regular

I live on a street(not council estate) where as of last year it was made one way.The amount of diccks that drive up the wrong way is unbelievable,some at high speed too .There is plenty of children playing in the street/surroundibg areas I would love one of these camera's in my street, just to catch the noobs speeding in it,and also the divvy's that dont understand what a "NO ENTRY" sign means

Mick
Old 16 June 2006, 12:39 AM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

well in london they are reducing lots of main roads to 20mph and once there is money to be made like parking it will get a lot worse
Old 16 June 2006, 01:33 AM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

There is only 1 20mph zone near me and its not on a council estate either

Trending Topics

Old 16 June 2006, 09:16 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now they will know where you are going. It's just a matter of time before they start asking "why?"
Old 16 June 2006, 09:45 AM
Jonathan Davies
Scooby Regular

I thought they were supposed be replacements for speed humps? I wouldn't mind that so much. There are hundreds of the buggers round my way - Southwark council is mad for them - and they're not good for cars, but I don't really object to speed restrictions in urban residential areas.
Old 16 June 2006, 09:59 AM
skoda_kid
Scooby Regular

Agree with the above. I have absolutely no objections to speed cameras in residential areas. If all housing estates and areas had a 20mph and hundreds of speed camera's, no probs Would much rather have this than the ever-increasing number of Mile High Speed Humps that are appearing here, there and everywhere. If cameras caught those without insurance, then i would be in favour of them even more.

It's just the cameras hid behind trees, on tight bends etc in National Speed Limit areas that bug me, along with the lack of policeman now tackling real crime coz its easier to sit around with a speed gun catching people doing 31 in a 30 etc.

Matt
Old 16 June 2006, 10:43 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

In princple I have no objections but what warrents a 20mph zone?

Outside Schools, parks, hospitals etc then fine

But how long will it be before sensible 30mph main roads become reduced to 20mph and specs for revenue and no other reason?
Old 16 June 2006, 11:56 AM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Keynesian policies.
Many more coming.
Old 16 June 2006, 11:59 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I have no objection to 20 mph limits on residential roads. The danger is that it may spread to roads where 30 mph is a safe speed. Too many drivers go at dangerous speeds in residential areas for sure though.

I would certainly prefer speed cameras to the car damaging sleeping policemen we have to put up with at the moment. I think that speedcams have their place in towns and residential areas,schools hospitals etc. but not on the open road where they are purely for raising revenue unfairly.

Les
Old 16 June 2006, 12:07 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Originally Posted by Jay m A

But how long will it be before sensible 30mph main roads become reduced to 20mph and specs for revenue and no other reason?
That is happening where I stay now, All the NSL roads have been reduced to 40's (even the rural ones) and the main dual carriageway from a 70 to a 50 (police are on it every day, even though there have been very few accidents on the road)

Sinse the speed limit change on the DC, all the cars drive at 45 about 20 yards apart and very few use the outside lane anymore so getting on from a slip road is a nightmare.

Back to the topic though, I'd be happy see speed traps at all schools, hospitals and outside childrens play areas etc.
Old 16 June 2006, 12:50 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Angry

What's more, the cameras they will use will be Specs according to the Daily Mail. So everyone will take even less time to look for errant pedestrians and kids who haven't learnt or be bothered to cross a road properly.

The constant downgrading of speed limits on our roads are manna from heaven for modern day Mary Whitehouse wannabes.

I'm getting more and more fed up of this increasing Nanny state. Cameras DON'T save lives the same as recent research has sunk the myth of passive smoking outside the home.
Old 16 June 2006, 01:00 PM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

camera's in residential areas is a good idea, kids play here na dat least it will help slow some cars down but i think speed humps should be reduced where camera's are used
Old 16 June 2006, 03:36 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

In all residental area's throughout the country you shouldnt have to keep looking at your speedo. You should be going slow anyways. Fcukin Tossers

Keep your speeding for back roads & fcukin motorways
Old 16 June 2006, 03:39 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Even after all the evidence to the contrary, speed cameras don't save lives, simple. Putting speed cameras in 20 zones, specs or otherwise, will not save lives, if anything, more kids will get killed/injured because of them. It's bad enough at the mo' when your driving along, looking for speed cameras, police speed guns, humps!. How much do you actually look at the road ahead now? On top of that, recent reports suggest that the signage we have to take in on our roads is way over the top, all adding to the overload of information we're having to take in as we drive along. More and more the onnus is being taken off the driver, and moved to the state to correct our poor driving habits. Slowing us down is not working!
A specs camera, or any other camera for that matter, is not going to catch the car thief, the drunk driver, the illegal imegrant, the tax and insurance dodger, what they will catch is the working/middle class fully paid up/insured, taxed and honest citizen, thereby making him the criminal. Yet more easy targets for the Police forces to report as solved "crime".
Old 16 June 2006, 04:12 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

I'm not that concerned that these things are being used on estates, but it is a matter of time before these things are at the entry and exit points to all motorways.
Old 16 June 2006, 04:16 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

How about better road education in schools instead?

OR how about a new system with no fines just points, everytime you go over the limit you receive 1 point when you get to 5 your banned for 1 year etc But NO fines, whats the bet the government wont be interested because it doesnt make money!

I recently nearly got run over by a container truck, i was talking to someone had lots on my mind and spun round and stepped in to the road the truck missed my head by millimetres but it would of been entirely my fault not the truck regardless of it was going fast, slow or watching the road. I would imagine this is how most accidents happen with kids and pedestrians on roads. The PEDESTRIAN is not concentrating nothing to do with the driver.
Old 16 June 2006, 04:34 PM
Jonathan Davies
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
The PEDESTRIAN is not concentrating nothing to do with the driver.
I take your point, but I wouldn't be comforted by it if I'd just hit a child at 30-35mph. There might be nothing you can do to avoid the accident, but you can hit them less hard. I'm not saying you're at fault here, just that fault is a secondary issue sometimes.

There's really no need to drive fast in town, although it's certainly fun at times. When I say 'town' though, I mean inner London - roads are poor, visibility bad, and driving and pedestrian behaviour frequently awful. In that context, I don't mind being encouraged to go slowly. Doesn't stop from me doing bad things occasionally, but in principle I can see the point of it.
Old 16 June 2006, 04:58 PM
PeteT
Scooby Regular

I am reliably informed that the real reason for reducing speed limits on roads is that the lower the limit, the lower the standard of maintenance is allowed to be, thus saving local councils a fortune in repairs and resurfacing.
Old 16 June 2006, 05:03 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Originally Posted by Jonathan Davies
I take your point, but I wouldn't be comforted by it if I'd just hit a child at 30-35mph.
Why stop at 20 mph. Think of all the lives that'll be saved if the limit were 10 mph!

I think nowadays people expect to live forever. There seems to be a massive culture now of trying to eliminate every risk possible.

Driving now compared to 15 years ago is a proper pain in the @rse. I was never a speed merchant. But now, I fear if I stray over an artificially low limit by a few mph I'll gets points and a fine. I cannot ever recall a speed limit being reduced anywhere near where I live past the last year or two, but now it is commonplace.

Don't even get me started on motorway and dual carriageway limits!
Old 16 June 2006, 05:12 PM
Jonathan Davies
Scooby Regular

Well, I'm no angel and not an expert on the issue at all. For me though, it's not a huge deal to go a bit slower around town... especially if it means fewer humps. Maybe it would annoy me more if I spent more time in the car.

I kind of agree that we don't need all the risk-reduction measures that seem to be more common now, but some of them do make sense. I'm happy to wear a seatbelt or a helmet if I'm riding, for instance. This one (for me at least) is nearer that end of the scale.

I dunno about 15 years thing though - I got done in 1990 by a man with a radar gun, hiding away just where a 30 limit went up to 40... haven't been nicked since!

Last edited by Jonathan Davies; 16 June 2006 at 05:14 PM.
Old 16 June 2006, 06:38 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

If you live on the road then you can speed because you will not pass the second camera, therefore only suitable for rat runs, which is a good thing

Also gives hope that ISA is not just around the corner
Old 16 June 2006, 08:17 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

I think if you look which Councils are in the Vanguard of this E.g. Camden you will see it is an anti motorist measure.

As said above why stop at 20mph? Why not go back to 5mph?

I drive in London day in day out as part of my job and speed limits are being lowered and junctions altered all over the place and frequently with no obvious logic other than to make journey times longer. Classic example the old A102(M) is now down to 40mph! Nobody obeys this speed limit outside rush hour as it has no credibility so they just keep lowering the limit?

As the governments own research shows about 9 out of ten accidents involving pedestrians are the fault of the pedestrian frequently with drink or drugs in their blood stream why are we focusing on slowing the cars down rather than stopping people walking out in front of them? Roads are for traffic not play grounds, we don’t encourage children to play on railway lines so why should we expect them to play in the road.

Also as said above Spec’s make you drive with your eyes glued to the Speedo and not looking where you are going.
Old 16 June 2006, 09:59 PM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Adrian F
Also as said above Spec’s make you drive with your eyes glued to the Speedo and not looking where you are going.
So what we need is a device where you hit the '20' or '50' button (or whatever speed) at the start of the measuring stretch, and it measures your speed but calculates the average. Above the average it beeps, so you slow down (or stop) until the average drops enough.

Then you can drive at 50 in a 20 as long as you stop just before the other camera for a short while (i.e. until the device stops beeping 'cos the average has dropped below the target).

Maybe some of the detectors do this already, I don't know...
Old 16 June 2006, 11:16 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ricardo
So what we need is a device where you hit the '20' or '50' button (or whatever speed) at the start of the measuring stretch, and it measures your speed but calculates the average. Above the average it beeps, so you slow down (or stop) until the average drops enough.

Then you can drive at 50 in a 20 as long as you stop just before the other camera for a short while (i.e. until the device stops beeping 'cos the average has dropped below the target).

Maybe some of the detectors do this already, I don't know...
CheckPoint add on for TomTom sort of does this, shows your average speed between SPECS - but you're still looking at a device to confirm what's going on. There is no substitue for roadcraft, end of.

Quick Reply: Speed Camera's in every 20mph road