Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How do you tell if your contact lens is in inside out?

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2006, 10:33 PM
amazinggrace
Super Muppet

Location: Little Green Men, come from Mars, look they've stolen all my bra'''''s'''''!'''''''
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you tell if your contact lens is in inside out?

Help.

I've got the contacts that you were for 2 weeks (including sleeping) then throw away. left eye is fine, but right eye has been hurting. I can see ok with both eyes.

Is there any kind of idiot proof way to make sure they are the right side?
Old 10 June 2006, 10:37 PM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

If you put the lens on the end of your finger and look at the lens side on the surface of the lens should form a smooth arc ....if there looks like a lip at the edge of the lens (ie. a bit like a cereal bowl when you look at it side on) then it inside out - thats the way I check mine
Old 10 June 2006, 10:41 PM
amazinggrace
Super Muppet

Location: Little Green Men, come from Mars, look they've stolen all my bra'''''s'''''!'''''''

They always look weird on the end of my finger and I can never decide which way is right. Think I will take it out and turn it around, see if thats any better.

Thanks.
Old 10 June 2006, 10:46 PM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

Also check the lens to see if there its torn, or damaged at the edge as that will irritate the eye, although to be honest if the lens is damaged the pain tends to be sharp and I have to remove it immediately - inbetween lots of tears and blinking.

Have you been wearing lenses for a while or just started ?
Old 10 June 2006, 10:59 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

hold it on the tip of your finger and pinch it together, it should be fairly obvious which way it is.

If it is the wrong way around it normally feels like there is something in your eye.
Old 10 June 2006, 11:08 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

How do you tell if your contact lens is in inside out?
Everything in one eye looks upside down...

...it could be...
Old 11 June 2006, 12:11 AM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Some lenses have laser markings on them which help.

I use Acuvue 2 weekly lenses but I take them out every night. I could probably get away with wearing them for 2 days but thats about it - some people aren't suited to wearing them for extended periods.

If you look at all the deposits on the lens after just one day you'll see why it may not be a good idea not to wear them for extended periods. More likely to get an infection too.

Normally if your lens is in the wrong way you'll know as soon as you put it in.

Bob

Trending Topics

Old 11 June 2006, 08:09 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

when i first got mine, the bloody woman told me that the cereal bowl way was the correct way, went to work and my eyes were killing me for a few days.

"oooo you will just get used to them, i was told"
team leader at work @ that time told me they were wrong, swapped em round, and it was pure bliss

what is interesting is that sometimes i get a new pair and one or two of them will irritate me, i can take them out, check them, clean them, all is fine and well, but they will still irritate, i can swap over eyes (not recommended ) and the irritation will move to the other eye so its defo a manufacturing fault IMO

but i hardly ever wear mine now unless i go out @ night (not had much time since i started the business up, maybe in a few years time ) and because of this (i wear monthlies, no sleeping in them) i always have loads of spares, i got a letter last week saying my next 3 months supply is ready to collect, and i have not started my last 3 months use yet
Old 11 June 2006, 03:52 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Be aware that once you've had them for a few months and have had them checked by your optician, you can request a copy of your prescription and actually buy your supply from elsewhere.

I wear monthly Toric lenses originally supplied by Boots, who charge £60 for 3 months' supply of their own brand lenses. As soon as they gave me a copy of my prescription, however, I had a search on the Internet and found that the own-brand lenses are actually called 'Biomedics' and are available online.

The online price? £52.44 for SIX months - well under half the Boots price, and well worth the effort of shopping around. No wonder they're not too keen on advertising who really makes the lenses...
Old 11 June 2006, 03:58 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Old 11 June 2006, 06:00 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
Be aware that once you've had them for a few months and have had them checked by your optician, you can request a copy of your prescription and actually buy your supply from elsewhere.

I wear monthly Toric lenses originally supplied by Boots, who charge £60 for 3 months' supply of their own brand lenses. As soon as they gave me a copy of my prescription, however, I had a search on the Internet and found that the own-brand lenses are actually called 'Biomedics' and are available online.

The online price? £52.44 for SIX months - well under half the Boots price, and well worth the effort of shopping around. No wonder they're not too keen on advertising who really makes the lenses...
holy crap

i have a £12 per month direct debit setup with my current place, its always been this price

what i want to know, and i have always wondered this but never got around to searching, is all the solutions people use basically the same stuff??

i use "complete"
but always wonderd if there is anything else out there that will do the job?
Old 11 June 2006, 10:46 PM
amazinggrace
Super Muppet

Originally Posted by MJW
Cool, thanks

I took them out last night and put them back in this morning, now my left eye is irritating. I must have it in wrong. Right eye is fine tho

I had daily disposables, but im so c*&p at putting them in I only wore them for days or nights out. They were too much hassle to put in for work and im never my best on a morning. Also my eyes are quite small and almond shaped which I think makes it extra difficult. My Aunty has really big wide eyes and has no problems, just slipping her lens on, I have to pull my eye lids in a million directions and still fold the lens in half when I blink!
Old 11 June 2006, 11:06 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

I had similar problems with the daily disposables - I could get them in ok, but taking them out was a nightmare and my eyes were red raw ! And you know what it's like after you've had a few to drink, too !
I've been thinking of getting some 30-day silicone-hydrogel lenses then at least I can just go to the opticians to have them fitted / changed.
The only thing that concerns me with these though, is that part of my job involves visiting building sites and I was a bit worried about what'd happen if I got some cement dust or god forbid brick acid in my eye !
Old 11 June 2006, 11:28 PM
leonpoole
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MJW
Thing is if your perscription isnt really that high the difference between wrong and right is sometimes unrecognisable.
More like
Old 11 June 2006, 11:57 PM
amazinggrace
Super Muppet

I just took the left one out and turned it around and its ok now

Suprisingly I got it out in one go and back in in one go, don't want to count my chickens but im getting quite good at it now, lol
Old 12 June 2006, 12:11 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

if you have astigmatism as i have the lense is weighted and takes a while to adjust its self afaik
Old 12 June 2006, 12:19 AM
amazinggrace
Super Muppet

I have astigmatism but not so much that i need special lens yet.